Server time: 2017-08-19, 20:45

Sign in to follow this  
Rolle

Standalone rules draft

Rolle    2450

In the menu above you can see a very early draft of the Standalone rules. These are not in effect yet and are mostly copy pasted from mod rules with some modifications, but there are some substantial changes.

I want to create the rules with the community, to ensure freedom of role playing options in game, no rule playing and keeping PvP strictly connected with RP.

Goals are:

- Focus on survival and freedom of RP choices for everyone

- No rule play by abusing KoS rights or initiations

- Hostilities always warranted by RP interaction

- No standardized hostility interactions - be creative, but play fair

- No group approvals, group rights or group KoS right sharing

Challenges are:

- Effectively enforce the rules without having to define every little scenario that is forbidden or force players to rule play (initiation, roadblock rules in the mod for example)

- Enhance the fair play mindset and respect in the community, so it is self-explanatory and obvious to everyone that you don't scream "get rekt" to others when they die.

- Change the community mindset to DayZRP instead of DayZNoKoS. This has partially happened already, thanks to Standalones game mechanic changes.

- Handling reports based on case to case basis without the help of strictly defined DOs and DON'Ts in the rules. For example, without the requirement of having to initiate on others to be hostile, we have to judge the reasoning behind hostility and role play surrounding it, instead of simply checking if the person initiating said all required things. This could lead to similar situations resulting in different outcomes because RP surrounding the situation was better or more reasonable.

- Sustaining PvP aspect. It will not be the same as in the mod, that's guaranteed. Question is how much PvP and on what scale do we want it in game in order for it to not be boring.

Discuss the new rules and post your suggestions on what you would like to see in Standalone. Keep in mind that the SA rules on the page are changed continuously. Especially welcome are opinions of people who have played a lot on our server.

Clammy    0

Can there be a rule where you have to roleplay with a person you are about to rob for about 5 minutes until you actually rob him?

Caesar    438

That would work against the goal of having no standardized hostile interactions.

We have had more ambiguous rules before that allowed greater freedom. We had habitual rule breakers that continuously tried to lawyer their way out based on these ambiguities. I understand wanting less rules and less stringent rules but many people will abuse it and have.

Rolle    2450

Can there be a rule where you have to roleplay with a person you are about to rob for about 5 minutes until you actually rob him?

That's a good idea, but like I said I want to limit things to a minimum where you have to say certain things the rules require you to or have to wait 5 minutes with a watch in your hand OOC. NLR being a prime example, but had no idea about what to replace it with :)

That could lead to some extremely boring or strange RP situations because the robber tries to stall as long as possible to finally be able to initiate while the victim actually wants to go, just like when a member of a group tries to stall somebody until one of his group members finally arrives to assist him.

But I would agree with the implementation of a rule that forces robbers to at least RP with their victims for a certain amount of time after they initiated and disarmed them.

Owen    13

I believe that if you are part of a dynamic group ingame and someone initiates on you, you have KoS on them but if there are people who aren't part of that group but are in a clan, they should not be able to share KoS unless they re-initiate on them to provide help. This hopefully means that you can't just log in for the kills as you would have to locate them to engage them.

Good idea making a rulepage dedicated to Standalone.

Just one thing though... Can you pleaseee move the ¨Forums¨ button to the top like it used to be? It's something that I noticed instantly when I got on today :(http://puu.sh/cMlkL/9b2a108bf9.png

Clammy    0

That could lead to some extremely boring or strange RP situations because the robber tries to stall as long as possible to finally be able to initiate while the victim actually wants to go, just like when a member of a group tries to stall somebody until one of his group members finally arrives to assist him.

But I would agree with the implementation of a rule that forces robbers to at least RP with their victims for a certain amount of time.

Well its only a draft :P I've seen many robberies where they just go "drop weps 10 secs" without roleplaying with their victim first, I just want a rule like that to be implemented.

Tamaster92    14

Is a good first draft. Some stuff needs swapping around and such and you need to define how groups work at all.

For example if someone kills me, can my men kill the guy the next day if they see him?

I love the KOS rule idea though, will likely need some tweaking but the core concept (Y)

Well its only a draft :P I've seen many robberies where they just go "drop weps 10 secs" without roleplaying with their victim first, I just want a rule like that to be implemented.

Yeah, just wanted to mention that since it could be a consequence if such a rule was implemented :P

I believe that if you are part of a dynamic group ingame and someone initiates on you, you have KoS on them but if there are people who aren't part of that group but are in a clan, they should not be able to share KoS unless they re-initiate on them to provide help.

I believe all the KOS should be kept to dynamic groups I think most people understand what a dynamic group is by now or for real RP reason.

Real RP reason being il use my own character as an example has a wife and daughter IG played by other people if I see them being held at gun point or taken captive that guy doing so can go die And il gladly kill him I shouldnt have to reinitiate on him obviously they would have to point him out to me should i we see him elsewhere If i do see him elsewhere it would be wiser to reinitiate just to make sure as ID is a little harder on the SA but if im viewing the situation I dont care on his reasoning thats my wife and daughter in the end.

Could be hard to prove however^

Caesar    438

I would honestly suggest something like the following since there will be no support for formalised groups with XML's.

You only gain the ability to kill people if you a directly apart of a hostile situation (in voice range). This ability only lasts as long as the situation does and in the future if you want to act on any of these wrongs then you must RP out an execution if that is merited.

Rolle    2450

I believe that if you are part of a dynamic group ingame and someone initiates on you, you have KoS on them but if there are people who aren't part of that group but are in a clan, they should not be able to share KoS unless they re-initiate on them to provide help.

I believe all the KOS should be kept to dynamic groups I think most people understand what a dynamic group is by now or for real RP reason.

Real RP reason being il use my own character as an example has a wife and daughter IG played by other people if I see them being held at gun point or taken captive that guy doing so can go die And il gladly kill him I shouldnt have to reinitiate on him obviously they would have to point him out to me should i we see him elsewhere I dont care on his reasoning thats my wife and daughter in the end.

Could be hard to prove however^

Good example of RP taking priority over rules, I would totally want things like that to be allowed, while still preventing or at least limiting abuse surrounding it. Brain storm!

But I would agree with the implementation of a rule that forces robbers to at least RP with their victims for a certain amount of time.

I agree with Franz. Also adding a rule like this would remove the element of surprise. Maybe the robber has been chasing/hunting down the victim for a while. And basicly whats gonna happen is: If a big bandit group surrounds a person, that person would literally be safe for 5 minutes and can just run away or something like that.

Clammy    0

-snip long post-

I agree with Franz. Also adding a rule like this would remove the element of surprise. Maybe the robber has been chasing/hunting down the victim for a while. And basicly whats gonna happen is: If a big bandit group surrounds a person, that person would literally be safe for 5 minutes and can just run away or something like that.

Isn't there a rule where you can get followed for 10 minutes then you gain a KoS?

I would honestly suggest something like the following since there will be no support for formalised groups with XML's.

You only gain the ability to kill people if you a directly apart of a hostile situation (in voice range). This ability only lasts as long as the situation does and in the future if you want to act on any of these wrongs then you must RP out an execution if that is merited.

I can agree to that but I wouldnt limit it to voice range if they are there within the area id say fine i expect to get shot at by his buddies but only by the guys that where there for that situation what I dont expect is what we currently have in the MOD now where a seemingly random guy approaches you says hello kills you then turns out hes (insert clan here).

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

You only gain the ability to kill people if you a directly apart of a hostile situation (in voice range).

What about groups that (for example) have military training and wish to use sniper support? Does the sniper have to stand next to the initiator and then just sprint to his nest as soon as the initiation occurs? Granted there won't be TOO many snipers in SA, but still the point stands. (Also wouldn't make RP sense)

I think "directly apart of" needs to be given a broader definition to be practical. For example within a logical overwatch range (eg 600m) give or take. That way there is no awkward initiation shuffles happening with large groups.

But then again I also don't think we need a clear cut "initiation" to be able to be hostile to one another.

Caesar    438

The problem with that Valkerion is lack of ID. ID will be even harder in standalone, it is already hard enough. Being in voice range keeps everyone well aware of who is involved and who is not.

If we can solve the ID problem then I would consider the area being viable (area meaning LoS imo).

while still preventing or at least limiting abuse surrounding it. Brain storm!

I suppose that would be the problem to me it seems very easy to abuse what iv just written there suddenly everyone of your OOC friends is your soulmate or brother IG so naturally you can KOS for them right?

Id just leave it and see how it plays out personally quite a few people know I have a little family and a small group in game and if they are smart can probably expect to see the rest of them getting involved should things go south but where do you draw the line on that?

Tamaster92    14

Question

how do you propose to decide what is a "good reason" to kill someone and what isn't?

People will have wildly different views on what is and isn't a good enough reason which will result in arguments, OOC hate, confusion and false bannings

If we can solve the ID problem then I would consider the area being viable (area meaning LoS imo).

Id say leave it to the players to sort out you can usually tell when people are grouped together plus people tend to be spread a lot more far and thin on standalone in my expierence so far meaning whatever groups of people you do come across are 9/10 actually together you should never assume such though but its normally not too difficult to tell.

Id is difficult with the SA but not impossible iv been able to guess who is who based on the area I see them walking around in as I know a lot of groups have started claiming houses and such and I know where some of these are IC.

Perhaps suggest that an RP reason is subject to criticism from the GM team to determine if it is valid enough?

I thought that was already a thing anyway and if it isnt it should be. they do the same for the settlement attacks so

Question

how do you propose to decide what is a "good reason" to kill someone and what isn't?

People will have wildly different views on what is and isn't a good enough reason which will result in arguments, OOC hate, confusion and false bannings

Judged on Case to case basis as Rolle has mentioned in the OP I guess if you can justify it thoroughly and the staff team GMs and Above deem it realistic and such Id say fair game.

Would you deem my example good enough or not?

Caesar    438

I would honestly love there to be an active and variable PvP element to the standalone, I really want a way to sort out identification though. Not only are we talking about visual identification but without formalized groups then anyone can randomly call people in saying they were grouped. Thus is the problem, it will be abused by its very nature.

Without this liberal PvP allowances will end up in disaster.