Server time (UTC): 2021-10-26 12:45

TS Ban

Guest Spesivtsev

Guest Spesivtsev

I seem to be banned from TS for verbal abuse.

The only thing I recall doing is asking if someone was a redneck because they sound south american. Being from Europe I don't know if that's offensive.

Redneck is a massive insult down here. A lot of people take offense to it, trust me, it's not just a joking thing you call someone. You say it, your ass gets beat.

Also, sounding South American would be speaking like a Brazilian or using spanish. We aren't south American, we're North American, and it's more the southeast that has the terrible reputation.

Basically, never call anyone that or your ass is getting beat by them and their pickup trucks.

[ EVERYONE FUCKING HAS ONE HERE. ]

Redneck is a massive insult down here. A lot of people take offense to it, trust me, it's not just a joking thing you call someone. You say it, your ass gets beat.

That is...not the case. There's a whole troupe of comedians that proudly make jokes of it, it is still socially acceptable. I live in a pretty rural part of California, I literally have never met a liberal person in the area that I live. My sister raises pigs, my brother-in-law's family wears Camo everything, lives on acreage, hunts duck all the time, missing teeth, all the good stuff. We all constantly make jokes about rednecks, the term has absolutely no negative weight. Most of the folks I know actually call themselves, or others, rednecks proudly.

"Hick" on the other hand, does. Hillbilly, maybe. Where is it you live, Seaweed? Out of curiosity.

• Legend

I'm in the midwest (Wisconsin), and 'redneck' is a mild pejorative that some benighted folk use as a badge of honor. Among educated gentlefolk however, it's akin to being identified as 'low-brow', and incites more pity or scorn than hatred.

Coorin - no disrespect, you're good people in my book. My in-laws are all rednecks too.

• Legend

I see nothing wrong with it.

Shurrup ya navvy mick!

That is...not the case. There's a whole troupe of comedians that proudly make jokes of it, it is still socially acceptable. I live in a pretty rural part of California, I literally have never met a liberal person in the area that I live. My sister raises pigs, my brother-in-law's family wears Camo everything, lives on acreage, hunts duck all the time, missing teeth, all the good stuff. We all constantly make jokes about rednecks, the term has absolutely no negative weight. Most of the folks I know actually call themselves, or others, rednecks proudly.

"Hick" on the other hand, does. Hillbilly, maybe. Where is it you live, Seaweed? Out of curiosity.

I live in rural North Carolina, and constantly visit Alabama.

It's an insult here, California is much more laid back from what I've seen.

It's used in comedy, but still there are quite a few people who hate the term.