Server time: 2017-10-18, 22:15
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Vanu

Surviving

Vanu    0

Is it just by bad luck or is the spawning of food and water very difficult to get in the new update.... and the starvation/dehydration is accelerated. I can find tons of stuff in one pile but no food or drink.. and can start dying within 40 minutes. I might be just lagging but wondering if anyone else kind of noticed. [standalone]

Dougie    23

I don't know if starving/dehydration have been amped up but the not finding food/water has to do with the persistence. Big coastal cities and places that are looted often aren't gonna spawn much loot, you'll need to head inland to small, remote towns that aren't looted very often to get kitted up.

It's a lot harder to survive now, but it's a lot more fun. You just have to check places that others wouldn't and you should be fine! Good luck out there! :D

Buttercup    0

I played for 2 1/2 hours and both timehr i died on starvytion. And i searched like hell for Food (in those small villages ). Did we just hat bad luck and the last Server restart is so log ago?

Chriss    1

Try to use the enviroment, that saved my life...

When hungry: search for apple-trees, berrys, etc.

Thirsty: collect rain-water in bottles, find rivers, places which are deeper, so that there is a small rain-water lake left.

Kolja    0

I suggest fishing. You need quite a lot of stuff for it, but that is the kind of stuff that is now spawning like crazy.

but then you can get unending amounts of food for not that much work.

Buttercup    0

The water is not the problem and tust me, i tried the trees and bushes, i wanted her to live v_v But a potato in the on village and a kiwi in the other was just not enough! I even tryed finding auf glasshouse because i had tomato seed...buuut nothing.

Grihm    16

Try to use the enviroment, that saved my life...

When hungry: search for apple-trees, berrys, etc.

Thirsty: collect rain-water in bottles, find rivers, places which are deeper, so that there is a small rain-water lake left.

Oh.. you can collect rainwater as well? How =)

Any and all survival tecniques can gladly be sent to me *gives gingerbread in reward*

Chriss    1

Just found it in a hopeless situation, when you have a canteen you can right-click collect rain, only when it rains of course :)

I also found a trough with a amount of water in which also looked clean :)

Kolja    0

Ok more survival tips:

Being hot consumes more water, so do not wear to much clothes.

Sprinting consumes more energy so take it slow sometimes.

Hunting is great too, both fun and gives loads of food. If you have no weapon you can craft a bow from string and a ashwood stick. Improvised arrows from sticks and chicken-feathers found on chickens or in chicken pens.

From metal wire and sticks you can make a rabbit trap to trap rabbits.

From a waterbottle you can make a improvised fishing trap

And here is a walkthrough on how energy, food, water an filled stomach works.

(Where is my gingerbread?)

And of course: growing tomatoes!!

Grihm    16

Ok more survival tips:

Being hot consumes more water, so do not wear to much clothes.

Sprinting consumes more energy so take it slow sometimes.

Hunting is great too, both fun and gives loads of food. If you have no weapon you can craft a bow from string and a ashwood stick. Improvised arrows from sticks and chicken-feathers found on chickens or in chicken pens.

From metal wire and sticks you can make a rabbit trap to trap rabbits.

From a waterbottle you can make a improvised fishing trap

And here is a walkthrough on how energy, food, water an filled stomach works.

(Where is my gingerbread?)

And of course: growing tomatoes!!

Awesome bud. Thank you. Il be sure to fix a big box for you of cookies ^^

Survival for me has been about avoiding big cities, because i have no use for that sort of gear either. Just stay warm, dry and fed + hydrated and don´t wait for hunger to set in. You find a fruit, you eat it. Same with fluids. You never know when you will find the next one.

Vanu    0

Alright thanks guys... I guess it is just bad luck then.

Kolja    0

Another tip is to always eat and drink until you are stuffed. Then you have more space in your pack to store food.

Another tip is when searching apple trees and for berries, you can just keep searching the same one over and over again and you will find something eventually. Same with digging for worms and searching chicken coops for feathers

Playing the 0.50 Update and bending around both persistence and the challenges that came with 0.50, here's some general tips that I can provide.

-Loot places not many would check. Just use logic. Remote villages are your best bet for finding food, water, and supplies. Cities are practically useless.

-Rely on the land. Pick apple trees, berry bushes. Hunt when you have a rifle, or a hatchet. (It's possible to take down a animal with a hatchet, don't let there fast speed get to you, just sneak up on them.)

-If you have a bottle, any sort of bottle, and it's raining. Hydrate yourself and catch rain with your bottle.

-Weapons that require mags are virtually non-existent. Try to use weapons that can be manually loaded. (Like the new shotgun or Winchester rifle.) If you find any mag for any weapon, keep it, even if you don't have the gun for it. You'll find soon enough that DayZ will play you and wish you had picked up that magazine earlier.

-People. Yes, people. Being a new spawn, if it weren't for people I probably would have died countless times like I did without them. If you run in to the good crowd, they can help you with food, water, whatever.

-Keep a raincoat on you, but don't wear it unless it's raining so you won't get hot. Always try and wear a casual shirt/long sleeve that doesn't have much warmth to it. When it begins raining, then change to your raincoat.

-DO NOT sprint, unless you're freezing to death and need to get warm quickly. If you sprint to much, you'll overheat.