Server time: 2017-08-21, 04:30

Sign in to follow this  
DeusMach

When was the last time...

DeusMach    0

... you wanted to play DayZRP for RP?

Before you go saying this is a stupid question, let me elaborate. Recently I cannot find a single reason to go onto DayZRP to play for the RP, because frankly, it's been shit. Despite my attempts to RP in non-life-threatening situations, it seems like there's a stale weed in my kelp soup. Civilians have the best RP I've seen so far, because they are rarely on TeamSpeak, yet anyone who's in a Group seems incapable of shutting the damn thing off when they run into something.

Gotta say, the TS isn't the only crutch, though, but let me elaborate more. TeamSpeak, while vital in Group vs Group scenarios, has utterly no purpose in any RP situation. Anything you say on TeamSpeak can be said in-game, and it's INCREDIBLY stupid how cowardly people are becoming. I remember when people used to communicate In-Character, In-Game. I once met a group (about a year ago, in october when I first played) that utilized no TeamSpeak during their RPs with me. Everything they said or did was either stated through IC communications or discussed at a distance, from what I could tell. There were times when I genuinely giggled with glee because of the amount of realism, the amount of community, these RPers utilized. This was a long time ago, though, and recently, when I meet a group, it's everyone standing still, not talking, forcing replies while they filter out TS chatter and IC chatter and rarely take the time to put effort into their IC replies instead of the TS replies.

Also, what the hell is up with the lack of travel in DayZRP?! I remember three months after joining, there was a SHIT TON of movement across the map. Both vehicles, pedestrians, clans and zombies. Shoot, I ran into more people in one week back then than I have in nine weeks now! Why does NO ONE move besides traveling between their camps, the settlement or trade post and the only two military spots on chernarus?! And why is it the only ones who go out to TRAVEL are those who end up with shit RP that's little more than 'Ooh, shiny gun, drop it or die' bullcrap? I know bandits are supposed to be commonplace in the world, but where in the hell are all of the vigilantees, the good guys and the neutral people? And where in the nine hells did the free medics go, man?! I miss them. A lot.

And I dunno what happened to the best RPer I've met, who a lot of you know by Juggs. Why is it that all of the good RPers leave yet all of the shitty ones who are cardboard cutout bandits flock here? It's ridiculous.

But yeah, as I was saying, when was the last time you ever came onto DayZRP and actually got the experience you were looking for? In this case, that's 'RP'. Good RP, though. Feel free to rant about the cardboard cut-out bandits, too. It's always humorous to hear about them.

Also, if you read this, -try- to move around the map more. Run along the shore. Pick a random city and travel there, with the excuse that you -think- there might be survivors people haven't yet gotten to, or that there was a vehicle there you saw a while ago, and wanted to see if it was still there. Use these excuses in your RP, make a little sustenance to your movements. And for GOD'S SAKE, don't be a bandit just to be a bandit. Like, really. It's ridiculous.

... end rant.

SatansNightOut    105

I feel like I almost HALF-way agree with you. Maybe 1/3.

Teamspeak policies and/or behavior should be something the involved individuals establish among themselves when they're grouping up. If you're hanging with people that can't control their OOC conversations, then you either need to "mute" TS3 (which, I know, is annoying when you're trying to actively communicate) or try and establish a more efficient policy. Otherwise, maybe you can find other, more disciplined people to hang out with in TS3.

I've been in a certain clan where we tried to establish a "com" policy that was meant only for IC communications. Yes, sometimes things would get out of hand, but when we were actually doing something In-Character, the coms were usually pretty good.

We often stressed in TS3, "This could easily be discussed in-game, thank you." And I think this is a very good philosophy to follow.

Now, as far as people traveling... well, can you blame people? It's hard not to find a place, get cozy and call it "home". In reality, if I had food, comfort and security, I think I'd rather just hang out and read a book while I had the chance. :)

I, for one, have found a nice little place in the forest that has access to what I need without being in the main thoroughfare of people. With that being said, I don't just sit there all day, doing nothing. I often travel out for various RP reasons, but I ALWAYS have an RP reason to go out.

In conclusion, I find your fun is only limited by your creativity. :)

Baron    2

A padded experience breeds padded players in most cases. The fact is you're right in saying that TS is a massive crutch for group players, constantly I find that group players never shut the thing off to begin with and what they say in the TS channels are completely inaudible to you. However I have to agree with Crimson here and say that this doesn't count for the vast majority, I and the group I role play with knowingly disable our TS while we're in game and notably near other people and I'm sure many groups do the same.

On to your point about travel, again, as I'm playing a hunter IC my job is to travel, to search fields and I tend to cross the entirety of the map at least twice a day. I think the point I'm trying to make is that you've run into a few bad cases but bad cases none the less, I agree with you that certain people don't hold standards that match others but at the same time that's to be expected, there are some role players out there that're willing to go the extra mile to make the experience fun for you and them but they're few and far between, often brushed underneath the sea of proverbial "bad press" if you will.

As the great Rampage once said to me, "A community is what you make of it." If you can't find the experience you wish to have in game, craft it yourself and make it your own, grasp the situation and love the art of story craft because it's only those people that truly define role play in all its attributes. If you don't put in extra effort you can never expect other people to begin doing so either and while you certainly wouldn't be the first to begin, you can join the ranks of those that're actively trying to create that experience you're looking for.

Needless to say never lose all hope, I log on almost every chance to get to role play because it's just what I love doing, it's something I've done for a long time and it sorta attributes to my writing, which is nice. Keep playing with passion if you truly believe those words you say, because maybe you can turn someone with the very same opinion as yours, around. We're in it for the long haul, good or bad here in DayZRP.

SatansNightOut    105

A padded experience breeds padded players in most cases. The fact is you're right in saying that TS is a massive crutch for group players, constantly I find that group players never shut the thing off to begin with and what they say in the TS channels are completely inaudible to you. However I have to agree with Crimson here and say that this doesn't count for the vast majority, I and the group I role play with knowingly disable our TS while we're in game and notably near other people and I'm sure many groups do the same.

On to your point about travel, again, as I'm playing a hunter IC my job is to travel, to search fields and I tend to cross the entirety of the map at least twice a day. I think the point I'm trying to make is that you've run into a few bad cases but bad cases none the less, I agree with you that certain people don't hold standards that match others but at the same time that's to be expected, there are some role players out there that're willing to go the extra mile to make the experience fun for you and them but they're few and far between, often brushed underneath the sea of proverbial "bad press" if you will.

As the great Rampage once said to me, a community is what you make of it. If you can't find the experience you wish to have in game, craft it yourself and make it your own, grasp the situation and love the art of story craft because it's only those people that truly define role play in all its attributes. If you don't put in extra effort you can never expect other people to begin doing so either and while you certainly wouldn't be the first to begin, you can join the ranks of those that're actively trying to create that experience you're looking for.

Needless to say never lose all hope, I log on almost every chance to get to role play because it's just what I love doing, it's something I've done for a long time and it sorta attributes to my writing, which is nice. Keep playing with passion if you truly believe those words you say, because maybe you can turn someone with the very same opinion as yours, around. We're in it for the long haul, good or bad here in DayZRP.

Damn, I don't mean to add a useless post, but that was pretty good, lol.

Well-said.

Tamaster92    14

Personally I haven't properly played the Mod to RP in a couple of months now

What I have done though is played a ton on th SA server where I have had more roleplay in the last week then I had in the last three months of the mod. And the quality of the RP is generally better in my experience too

Guest Alfie   
Guest Alfie

last time i played rp it was to get in a massive firefight

dont tell anyone

DeusMach    0

Now, as far as people traveling... well, can you blame people? It's hard not to find a place, get cozy and call it "home". In reality, if I had food, comfort and security, I think I'd rather just hang out and read a book while I had the chance. :)

Alright, on this, I say touche, but the fact still stands. You eventually end up needing food and water, and the liklihood of you having all of that in one solid spot is highly improbable. Not to mention boredom and there not being any point to just sitting around, but that's besides the point. I'm not really against the fact that people have camps. Hell, -I- have camps. But the only reason why I go to them is to sit and talk to people I bring there, and occasionally dump off a large supply of foodstuffs for later camp-outs. And almost all of my camps are on the main thoroughfare, so I can -meet- people. Seems like there's an awful lot of 'hide and seekers' out there, who play to gear rather than to RP, which rounds me back to my second point.

The main thoroughfare used to be along the coast between elektro, cherno, berezino and balota, and yet now the only places people go to is Stary, Novy, NWAF and Solace, it seems. And there's little point in going up there to seek out RP (minus Solace, that's a great spot for RP) because almost 70% won't bother with you even if you chase after them and the ones that will are the cardboard cutouts.

On the topic of TS chatter, though, I mean the fact that it's used as a way to avoid any challenge to your decisions, like discussing what to do with the two 'new guys' your four people ran into, and discussions between groupmates in the walking dead fashion where you have to figure out if they are good or bad people... all of this seems to be done on TS nowadays, because no one, and I mean NONE of the groups these days bother to take the risk and voice it out in the game, most likely because they are afraid of the doubt, the suspension and the drama that it can cause (which is about 60% of the point to play an RP server, mind you). I just miss the gold old days when groups would freak out civs with thier conspiracies between eachother on how this new guy we just met is likely a serial killer, or a rapist, or an ex-convict, or a rogue marine. The shit I heard when I first started made me crap myself, thinking that they truly thought I was that way even when I wasn't, and I had to coerce them into believing that I am what I am.

Just food for thought.

EDIT:

Also, Tamaster, not everyone is rich enough to afford 15 dollar games like SA! D:< Some of us, like myself, have no lives! (*totally serious, too, which is the sad part*) Also, I've committed to not playing SA until they fix most of the design issues.

I only go into DayZRP to RP. I like to travel and meet people but some days I do just like hanging out with my group or others I know and have some fun. I make alot of stories and such happen not wait around for it to come to me, I went without a radio for days once and my group didn't know where to find me, I create these things to make the experience more fun for myself.

I do not know about others but I dislike the excessive OOC use of TS also, what is the point when you are all together in game anyway. But it is very handy for OOC use and finding each other and organizing. When it does become too much I tend to just mute them, with a hotkey set up it isn't difficult for me to unmute at any point :)

I cannot say that I have encountered alot of hostile, bandit or not that do not RP back with me. I do not expect alot if there were a hugely tense situation or anything like that. When people are being too quiet, I start questioning them about it and go about it ICly to see if it changes the way they are interacting.

As for travel, well I believe people have taken a liking for Solace, it has been a RP hub, but, not everyone. There are still plenty out there who are actually taking advantage of the situation and travelling quite alot.

In the end I will not stop RPing the way I do and always try to improve.

You can always try out the SA, alot of travelling, very survivalist and you run into heaps of others. I was online for a couple hours, I ran into way more then I expected or was used to.

EDIT: I would like to add that it is very unfair of you to generalize the community with assumptions that we all do the same thing. Whispering to each in game for example, you above say 'NONE' do it, well we do, I have seen it and been a part of it.

Personally I haven't properly played the Mod to RP in a couple of months now

What I have done though is played a ton on th SA server where I have had more roleplay in the last week then I had in the last three months of the mod. And the quality of the RP is generally better in my experience too

I was going to say the exact same thing, better roleplay in the last week than in the last three months of the mod. Believe me, people on SA go around, travel in civilian groups, the grouping seems more natural and believable for reasons of security and companionship. I'm telling you, the future of DayZRP is right here now in the standalone. People who play SA generally try to dress as their character, act as them and generally seem a lot more RP inclined.

Risen Paul    0

Once the TS-hubbub had reached the point of appearing to be a constant static to me, I'd decided to play without a 'radio' and this is working very well for a few months now.

I mean I have nothing against TS in general, yet the whole concept with people jumping through the channels, groups paying more attention to their chat than to the game etc. needs to be optimized in order to be of use for the role play.

If you ask about travels, yesterday I've circled the entire map on foot, killed at least 500 infected and met exactly one survivor.

Oh, and I almost got overrun by a black Humvee, but that might have been a mirage :huh:.

That being said, I'm still enjoying the mod and groups like SVR, S.D.S, FANGS and 'The Hosts' are giving me great role play every time I encounter on them!

Guest johnygt7   
Guest johnygt7

You want an honest answer?

4-5 months ago.

SatansNightOut    105

Not to mention boredom and there not being any point to just sitting around,

How about this: What is your character doing when you aren't logged on? Surely, he/she isn't sleeping EVERY time you log off? What if you haven't logged on for two days? If that's the case, then they really need a hobby! :D

Feel free to rant about the cardboard cut-out bandits, too. It's always humorous to hear about them.

Care to elaborate?

For me its only my group that keeps me active unforuntly if I was a civ I would never play...

Best RP'er Juggs? lol.

I think the server would benefit being PvE. Would really cater to the carebears, less (butt hurt)reports+more RP=win?

And I dunno what happened to the best RPer I've met, who a lot of you know by Juggs.

best RPer I've met, who a lot of you know by Juggs.

best RPer Juggs.

Juggs

giphy.gif

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Yesterday.

Its really not that hard to find/make RP for yourself.

Honestly

Its not.

Quickan    3

And I dunno what happened to the best RPer I've met, who a lot of you know by Juggs.

best RPer I've met, who a lot of you know by Juggs.

best RPer Juggs.

Juggs

giphy.gif

Yuval    2

When 1.4.0 came out and all the bandits couldn't live for more then 15 minutes due to starvation due to them looking for gear to rob and not food and drinks.

Oh, and anytime i don't have a high end rifle, those things make me paranoid as hell.

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

last time I logged.

Mellstrom    21

Yesterday, RP:ing is all i do.

Grihm    16

It´s been a while actually. This however is not due only to the fact that there is sometimes hard to find good roleplayers around, but because i tend to always be on the move, and the forests are very empty.

At my first weeks, i loved it because it felt like a reality stroll, because after a few days in the woods, there is basically just trees and animals around. However, i wish i could pitch a regular woodsmen tent or just a tarp and sit by a fire in my moveble camp. There is no real way to make camp, and that puts me down many times. I feel like i have to be moving all the time, and all houses are just static sadly due to the engine and how the game works. Player housing has a big love from me.

I was very exited when seeing the leather crafting tools in SA, so i am hoping to be able to do much more of that in there, but the mod is the mod and its awesome in it´s ways also...but since the tp was shut down, there are no rp hotspots to go to with any real "this is created by survivors" feel to it.

Yes i have heard the "create it on your own" before, but to compare the timeframe of these two is a bit of a no brainer when it comes to do the math.

1: Re-open and paste in the TP again = I´m guessing not to long.

2: Create a new similar area in the editor + a background for it + have it become accepted and then get it working ingame = Quite some time. At least a few weeks.

I long for a civilian survival village where the point is to hunt, fish, store food and clothes for the winter, clense putrified waterholes and remove decomposing corpses from the soil and grassareas where you grow food etc. I´m not to good on the editor, but a fenced in area with a few houses and some rp based addons like an old car to pretend you work on, a greenhouse, a graveyard for all the walkers and a hospital tent.

Bulld0g    0

Complaining won't change a single thing. Get into game. Give great RP and you will receive great RP.

You want things to change then you change it by you being in-game setting a example.

Ironicman    7

Last time was like a vew weeks ago when i met D3! Was a realistic and human encounter, Sad they couldt get offical.Anyway i agree fully on the teamspeak thing you say! I have a giant hate for Teamspeak OOC circle jerk clans who dont interact with eachother or with a civ ingame as they are thoghetter. They rather talk about video games instead of actually talking ingame with a civilian as you encounter one as a group but i blame people their bad social skills on that.