Misty

[POLL] Remove playerlist / Make playerlist invisible

Remove the playerlist?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Remove the playerlist?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

After reading a thread about logging in during a firefight, I came up with the idea of removing the playerlist and therefore I make this suggestion to remove it or at least make it invisible. (Poll is set to anonymous)

The playerlist (press P) is heavily used for metagaming, mostly by groups who want to see how many players of clan X are online.

When a group wants to initiate on a different group, they usually check the playerlist to see how many of them are online, compared to how many they can actually see in game. It gives them information about how many members might be out of view and can reason if its a good time to initiate or not.

Another way in which the playerlist is used is to check if you have killed a person and who they killed, simply by pressing P after they shoot someone. If someone died, they will show up in the playerlist being in the lobby.

Another reason is that when a firefight has started, those involved can check the playerlist to see how many they are up against and if there is any backup arriving.

Another reason to use the playerlist is for examle with Solace, checking how many of the CRs or their allies are online.

Those are just a few ways in which the playerlist is being used for metagaming.

However, I can come up with one good reason to have the playerlist, which is to check if someone combat logged or not. I think that the metagaming does outweigh this a lot, but there might be more positive things about the playerlist but they did not come to my mind yet.

Overall I think removing the playerlist adds more tension and immersion to the game in various ways and most of you who are in a group know exactly what I am talking about. Almost everyone has used the playerlist to find out OOC information and the way they play and make decisions is heavily influenced by using this information.

Vote please and share thoughts.

-I don't know if the playerlist actually can be removed, or if admins/GMs need it for a special reason. I suggest it to find out if its possible and when it is, I hope that the outcome of the poll will make the admins think about removing it or not.

Rolle    2450

I agree, but if we remove it we must provide a different way for group members to be identified in case the XML logo is not showing on their skin. They could for example be required to type or emote something in chat and show their group tag that way.

Recki    1

Totally agree with Misty.

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

While i agree, isnt the playerlist un-removable?

If not, then remove and clanskins?????? :D

im all up for clan skins!

I agree, but if we remove it we must provide a different way for group members to be identified in case the XML logo is not showing on their skin. They could for example be required to type or emote something in chat and show their group tag that way.

You mean in case the xml is not working? If their xml is working, then players with skins that don't show xml would still not be identified in player list until they type something, thus showing xml. When you have one as hostage, you can make them type by demanding them to emote, like you said.

Ancalagon    0

Like... how often did we have this discussion already?

Yes it's used for metagaming (which is btw the players fault).

Still against it. one day we might get clan skins (no we won't) to recognize clans properly. that would be a huge change already, taking this aspect away. But beside this, it's simply too annoying for me.

I use the playerlist to see if people combat log. Or if they ghost and log in for a firefight.

I use the playerlist to see whether people who were following me or people i followed are still online (I prefer to give others the option to hunt/find me as long as possible.

And if people complain about lack of RP - sorry i have limited time and don't to waist it running through the woods while the people i wanted to talk to are off). I use it to check if my or my clanmates XMLs are working.

It's used to see whether people outside of the enemy clan fought on their side during a battle.

Or to identify to which clan the guy who just initiated on you belongs to. (No, not everyone intiates with text or always screams his clan name which initiating)

And yes, i actually check the playerlist to estimate whether i want to play or not.

If people i like or even looking for are on, whether a settlement i want to visit might be empty or not or if clan i dislike are around as well.

And yes, while some of you will complain about metagaming: I have limited time and want to enjoy the bit i play as much as possible. And this doesn't mean that i HAVE to play with people i don't like or whose RP i simply don't enjoy, thats not what i'm trying to achieve, especially if i'm on my own.

It offers some nice sides as well. Don't want to act like it'S all bad. A huge Metagaming-aspect of the game is removed and people are forced to RP properly, you can actually start mindgaming by telling people about not-existing people covering you ect (even tho people can guess a amount of people by the amount of clanmembers in their TS channle).

Yet, it's way too annoying for me to remove it. Might be selfish but thats how it is. All the negative sides above are the players fault, they fail to RP properly, they can't resist to get OOC information, they aren't able to fully commit themselves to the RP while being on. Sad that we always need to force people to RP and play by the rules because they don't want to.

I'm against it, also because i think the ones who come here to RP should take some responsibility and should be able to act properly without being forced to. Or i would at least wish that people would do that, but i guess it's, a foolish wish ^^

Everyone will continue using it to get stupid and unfair advantages which destroy nice RP oppurtunities if noone stops them by force :/

Risen Paul    0

I wouldn't have a problem with the playerlist being removed, although I'm not sure where exactly the metagaming starts here.

I reckon it's unavoidable to cast a glance on the lobby-list that shows up when you join the server.

If I remember correctly, it is possible to anonymise this list too.

Let's say someone did see something before he joined the game, that would mean he had a small impression about who he could encounter on, but since there is a fluctuation with players joining and leaving the server, personally I think it is not so critical, more like a good or bad omen for his near future :D.

Also a change would need to include the launcher where the names are displayed and maybe something else?

Grihm    16

Could the playerlist not be dissabled as soon as you engage in a firefight and stay hidden for 30 min or so?

Or, after you check it, it´s on an automatic CD for 15-30 min?

Tamaster92    14

Could the playerlist not be dissabled as soon as you engage in a firefight and stay hidden for 30 min or so?

Or, after you check it, it´s on an automatic CD for 15-30 min?

No.

That simply isn't feasible. It's a core part of the engine, not something you can easily edit.

You can force it off or such but no fancy scripting with it

Completely agree. But I think Icy is right, isn't it irremovable?

Dougie    23

As long as there is some other way for players to see the patch when the skin doesn't show it, I'm all for it.

Rick    19

People can just alt tab and check gametracker or the launcher. While I think it's a good idea by nature, there are ways around it which I think negate the advantages of removing it.

People can just alt tab and check gametracker or the launcher. While I think it's a good idea by nature, there are ways around it which I think negate the advantages of removing it.

Very few people would bother doing that. Most people who play DayZ are lazy about multi-tasking, gotta say.

Ancalagon    0

Very few people would bother doing that. Most people who play DayZ are lazy about multi-tasking, gotta say.

Wouldn't say that. If people willingly abuse the Playerlist to for example plan attacks on settlements ect, then i can imagine they would take the few second to tab out as well

Guest johnygt7   
Guest johnygt7

Nah, bad idea imo

Wouldn't say that. If people willingly abuse the Playerlist to for example plan attacks on settlements ect, then i can imagine they would take the few second to tab out as well

I'd still say remove/hide the list. If someone wants to metagame seriously, let them waste a few minutes checking gametracker, during which time they might just get jumped.

Ancalagon    0

I'd still say remove/hide the list. If someone wants to metagame seriously, let them waste a few minutes checking gametracker, during which time they might just get jumped.

Minutes? It takes probably 5 seconds longer than the actual playerlist, you only need to tab out and in again. And probabbly hit f5

Minutes? It takes probably 5 seconds longer than the actual playerlist, you only need to tab out and in again. And probabbly hit f5

Either way.... Still more effort than some people want to put in.

Exile89    0

I do like the idea of blocking the playerlist from showing who is online, but I do think there should be some way for players to see how many people are online at any given time.

vivallion    4

I think we can all agree here, that EVERYONE is guilty of using the P in Meta ways (Even the OP.) Further into the topic, i don't see why it should be removed. It gives opporitunities to look for friends/enemies to go roleplay with, even if it isn't sometimes that "Great."

Kravock    1

Player list can be removed, as well as hiding the lobby player list.

Accessing player list from external means, such as Gametracker or Steam Servers is possible, however it doesn't show XML only the players name.

Guest Whazmeister   
Guest Whazmeister

Nah. Playerlist also prevents rulebreaks or fixes them more easily.

The good overthrows the bad here IMO