Server time: 2017-08-21, 21:53

Sign in to follow this  
[TMW] Alpha22

Can you lose zombies?

I was in Electro just trying to gear up with some of the essentials, when I found a Press Vest. I got really excited, so I decided I'd get out of town while I'm ahead. As I walked out of town I drew about 5 zombies completely on accident (All I had was a SKS Bayonet which works well 1 on 1 but not with more) so I decided I'd try to run away and try to lose them.

I as I ran through town I ducked and weaved between buildings, going though some, and around others. That didn't shake them which didn't surprise me, I've never quite been able to do that.

I could outrun them though (They were slow zombies, not sprinters). So I did. I ran all the way from Electro all the way to just before Mogilevka. Before I went into town I decided to let my character catch her breath before I went in. As I was waiting the same zombies all the way from Electro decided to show up. They followed me all the way there! Is it possible to lose the agro without killing them?

I have lost them before with weaving in and out of buildings full speed but with that said I have had them follow me for ages just as you have described.

SatansNightOut    105

Same with me. I had three of them chasing me earlier and I just wove through a forest and never heard from them again.

But then, of course, later I was chased by this one zombie for like 2k meters until I finally stopped and dueled it in a barn.

Sin    114

Sometimes they pause for a moment or two, especially if you break line of sight. Do it often enough and they fall behind.

Pro tip: don't run in a straight line.

Owen    13

Yes you can lose them. Just go through buildings and close doors behind you to close of their path. Also if there is wild life nearby often enough they go attack that instead which loses agro. They are very persistent though so either lure them in a building and close the door or kill them. As Sin said don't run in straight lines when being chased.

Guest Liquid   
Guest Liquid

Stealth isn't a feature in DayZ standalone just yet, The Devs are reworking the Zombie AI to allow for stealth to be a viable option when it comes to evading or losing zombies altogether. At the moment the zombies lock onto the player and follow where ever the navmesh will let them, occasionally as someone said above they do stop randomly and that can give you time to push a bit of distance between you and the zombie, After a certain distance has come between the zombie it's AI forgets about you and the zombie goes back into a passive state (searching for a player/animal to lock onto). Until the reworked AI is done just kill them ASAP it saves you either attracting more whilst trying to lose one or running a long distance just to get them off of your tail.

Tamaster92    14

Tip-

Lure them into a building and close the doors. Zombies can't open doors and whoever goes in there next gets a fun surprise :D

Guest Liquid   
Guest Liquid

Tip-

Lure them into a building and close the doors. Zombies can't open doors and whoever goes in there next gets a fun surprise :D

*Gets out notepad of mischievous ideas* I forgot that zombies can't open doors anymore.

The only problem is that doors are finnicky as hell and you're pretty likely to end up with a Z on your head while you're fiddling with the controls.

Dishes    159

It seems like zombies are much more persistent with the new update, atleast that's kinda what I've been experiencing

SykoWolf    0

Zombies can glitch through doors if they bump into each other. It doesn't always happen, but keep it in mind. Other then that, Its definitely possible to outrun zombies. They seem to slow down after some time.

Not sure if its just my luck or not, but I've managed to lose them a number of times.

ive had the best luck by running into wooded areas and using the trees to cut their line of sight. Once they cant see you they slow down until you hit their LoS or atleast thats how ive done it lol

Baron    2

General rule of thumb when it comes to zombies is that they don't tire out, I think the persistence is a good thing, forcing you into situations that you'd never be in otherwise. As people have all said before, locking them in buildings, breaking up the line of sight with bushes, trees and walls is a great way to lose them. They'll lose interest sooner rather than later if you follow those rules at least.

Yes you can lose them. I had one on a leash for some time, tied him to a tree for a minute while I had some private business, came back and he was gone. One-eyed Jimmy, WHERE ARE YOU?

Reacher    0

Best way is to assume the zombie AI is shot to hell, and that they can basically follow any small sound you make to within a very large radius, even if you're 'crouched and sneaking'.

I once had a zed follow me from Elektro all the way to Solnichniy Factory, through trees and forests and buildings, and it fell so far behind that I thought it was gone. I went to get a drink, came back, and it was literally clambering up to me to attack.

Krackerman    17

Best way is to assume the zombie AI is shot to hell, and that they can basically follow any small sound you make to within a very large radius, even if you're 'crouched and sneaking'.

I once had a zed follow me from Elektro all the way to Solnichniy Factory, through trees and forests and buildings, and it fell so far behind that I thought it was gone. I went to get a drink, came back, and it was literally clambering up to me to attack.

musta been true love :)