Server time: 2017-08-21, 21:50

Sign in to follow this  
SatansNightOut

Marijuana Legalized in Alaska, Oregon, Washington DC!

SatansNightOut    105

It may not be important to some people, but to many of us who have lived through cannabis prohibition for years, a true victory was taken today.

The state I live in, Oregon, along with Washington D.C. (the freakin' capital of the USA, FFS) voted in favor of legalizing recreational cannabis for individuals 21 and older.

th?id=HN.607989532067891662&pid=1.7

Some of you may think, "Fucking stoners, at least now you won't have anything to bitch about". In all honesty, for a lot of us, it wasn't just about being able to smoke our weed and get all high. It's about freedom of choice. It's about choosing to partake in something that should be EVERY man and woman's personal decision. It's about taking money from the black market and putting it to GOOD use. It's about lowering the amount of drug traffic you see in schools. Ask any high-schooler: What's easier to get? Alcohol or weed? And they'll tell you weed, because alcohol is regulated.

While the overall war is not over, we've won a huge battle today for freedom... and stoners. :)

Soop    0

Time to move, never mind I'll just wait until they do it here.

Snow    1

Honestly, I don't think this is an enormously good thing for people. Not because marijuana is extremely deadly or anything (it isn't), but mostly because of that word 'recreational'. I can understand the motive for medicinal legalisation, but in my opinion recreational drugs can be a slippery slope. At some point, some slightly more dangerous drugs might be legalised if nothing goes too badly with marijuana, even ones with very little or no medicinal benefit, and then it all goes downhill from there. I feel that if certain drugs are to be made legal, it should be both heavily restricted, and possess some kind of health benefit which outweighs the dangers of it.

In addition, if you're going to use "freedom of choice" as a reason, just remember you could say the same about things like heroin or ketamine, both of which are extremely dangerous and should never be recreationally legal.

Of course, there is the fact that this will take away money from drug cartels and similar organisations (apparently legalisation in Washington and Colorado cut an estimated $3 billion out of cartel profits). Question is, does that compensate for the issues that could arise in the future?

SatansNightOut    105

Honestly, I don't think this is an enormously good thing for people. Not because marijuana is extremely deadly or anything (it isn't), but mostly because of that word 'recreational'. I can understand the motive for medicinal legalisation, but in my opinion recreational drugs can be a slippery slope. At some point, some slightly more dangerous drugs might be legalised if nothing goes too badly with marijuana, even ones with very little or no medicinal benefit, and then it all goes downhill from there. I feel that if certain drugs are to be made legal, it should be both heavily restricted, and possess some kind of health benefit which outweighs the dangers of it.

In addition, if you're going to use "freedom of choice" as a reason, just remember you could say the same about things like heroin or ketamine, both of which are extremely dangerous and should never be recreationally legal.

Of course, there is the fact that this will take away money from drug cartels and similar organisations (apparently legalisation in Washington and Colorado cut an estimated $3 billion out of cartel profits). Question is, does that compensate for the issues that could arise in the future?

Obviously there should be some lines when it comes to legalizing drugs. Then again, some of the legal drugs we have now are, by far, way more dangerous and addicting than cannabis. Opiates and anti-depressants, even aspirin, can be deadly, yet they're legal. I mean, clearly, I'm not gonna go all GTA 5 and say, "LEGALIZE COCAINE", but there ARE distinct lines (no pun intended) when it comes to certain recreations. I mean, after all, alcohol went through this SAME exact thing in the US, and now look? Alcohol is a normal, socially acceptable thing. And when Prohibition of Alcohol ended, there wasn't this "slippery" slope of legalizing other intoxicants that you spoke of. :) In the end, ANYTHING can be abused. I mean, people abuse cheeseburgers all the time, and die from it every year. xD

As far as restricting it, regulating it IS restricting it. That's why it's called regulating. Take it out of the black market, take it off the streets, and put it under official control. I guarantee in a few years when things settle down in places like Colorado and Washington, it'll be a LOT harder for kids to get marijuana in their schools. Why? Because you gotta go to the store to get it. And you can't get it unless you're 21. No matter what, there's ALWAYS going to kids getting drunk and stoned, and we'll never fully be able to prevent it...but this is a good step in that direction.

We can go on about the medical values of cannabis for hours. I could talk about the potential for cancer cell regression, and how it helps people with their pain. I could go on about how cannabis is both effective for pain management AND natural, unlike such medications as vicodin or oxycontin, or what-not. And no one's gonna overdose on cannabis and drop dead. :|

I mean, it's been two years since Colorado and Washington legalized, and it doesn't seem like anarchy has erupted in those states yet... :D

Anyway! I appreciate the point of view. I'm always curious to see how others feel about such taboo (or not so taboo anymore?) subjects like this. <3

Rolle    2456

Good for you guys! I'm hoping Copenhagen will become new Amsterdam soon :)

DarkStyle    29

There is alot legal deadly synthetical drugs in world if to be real. But on topic. Weed is more safer than alcohol(I dont smoke myself). And drunk guy is more agressive than guy who has smoked weed. But its good thing that weed get legalized some places. It shows that world is getting more FREEDOM(Had to do it). Have fun getting high :D.

Fafnir    32

In economic view which tend to be amoral, legalizing drugs like this and than taxing the hell out of it , helps the government earn money that they need. And lowers the cost the government has to pay to incarcerate people and enforce the laws. It allows the consumer to buy what they want, and if they think it is to expense than the value of the product is not worth the price of it. Though personal I don't really care either way, tried it once and went to a Steak and Shake, never had it afterwords.

#Legalize Ireland!

Snow    1

You're mostly right here, I'm not trying to say that everything will all of a sudden be legal, I'm just saying that a lot of people are treating this like it's a cure for every problem in today's society which comes with no downsides at all, which is completely wrong. I'd also like to address this:

As far as restricting it, regulating it IS restricting it. That's why it's called regulating. Take it out of the black market, take it off the streets, and put it under official control. I guarantee in a few years when things settle down in places like Colorado and Washington, it'll be a LOT harder for kids to get marijuana in their schools. Why? Because you gotta go to the store to get it. And you can't get it unless you're 21. No matter what, there's ALWAYS going to kids getting drunk and stoned, and we'll never fully be able to prevent it...but this is a good step in that direction.

Your argument that government regulation of legalised marijuana is better than having it be entirely illegal is pretty flawed. In my country, you'll have children as young as 13 having terrifyingly easy access to alcohol, despite any store that sells alcohol having to register with the government and have regular checks to make sure they're doing everything right. Mostly because they can ask someone else to buy it for them, which is pretty much impossible to prevent. The same will happen in the States, people below the age will just have an adult get it for them.

Then again, it's not like this isn't an issue when the drug is entirely illegal, I'm just saying how you've put it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It is probably a bit easier for the government to control a legal drug than an illegal one.

SatansNightOut    105

You're mostly right here, I'm not trying to say that everything will all of a sudden be legal, I'm just saying that a lot of people are treating this like it's a cure for every problem in today's society which comes with no downsides at all, which is completely wrong. I'd also like to address this:

Your argument that government regulation of legalised marijuana is better than having it be entirely illegal is pretty flawed. In my country, you'll have children as young as 13 having terrifyingly easy access to alcohol, despite any store that sells alcohol having to register with the government and have regular checks to make sure they're doing everything right. Mostly because they can ask someone else to buy it for them, which is pretty much impossible to prevent. The same will happen in the States, people below the age will just have an adult get it for them.

Then again, it's not like this isn't an issue when the drug is entirely illegal, I'm just saying how you've put it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It is probably a bit easier for the government to control a legal drug than an illegal one.

I can see what you're saying. But again, like I said, we'll NEVER be able to prevent kids from getting it, but we can try.

I mean, I'll tell you this: If some underage kid ever asked me to buy him or her alcohol, I'd say, "Hell no." Same goes with cannabis.

HAGGLE    5

Was just talking to someone about this a few hours ago. FINALLY!

Also, hello fellow Oregonian!

Snow    1

I can see what you're saying. But again, like I said, we'll NEVER be able to prevent kids from getting it, but we can try.

I mean, I'll tell you this: If some underage kid ever asked me to buy him or her alcohol, I'd say, "Hell no." Same goes with cannabis.

Problem is, a lot of people don't share your attitude and will happily buy alcohol and/or drugs for a minor. But yes, it's impossible to entirely prevent, short of completely eradicating every single drug in the world.

SatansNightOut    105

Was just talking to someone about this a few hours ago. FINALLY!

Also, hello fellow Oregonian!

Haha! No way! I was wondering when I'd meet another Oregonian around here. Hello, hello. I hail from Monmouth, near Salem. :D

Grats to us! :D

Problem is, a lot of people don't share your attitude and will happily buy alcohol and/or drugs for a minor. But yes, it's impossible to entirely prevent, short of completely eradicating every single drug in the world.

Yeah, sadly. Oh, well. No system is perfect, but prohibition was just not working either. Lots of lives were being ruined over something very trivial. ;)

I think my heart almost stopped when i heard forms of decriminalization were being talked about in the county that makes up most all of Houston, where I live in Texas.

For the longest time it always seemed that states like mine would be the late-comers to the party in talks of legalization and decriminalization, but it seems things are moving faster than I thought.

Its an odd thought what would become of my own area if legalization or decriminalization hit. For the longest time, marijuana's been deep-seated in a lot of communities in Houston, and its a very strong criminal enterprise. It's what a lot of kids in a lot of high schools do if they need money or are saving for something. They get a job, and sling pot. Weed being illegal and even readily available in shops would change a lot of the aspects of the marijuana culture. Most people in these areas get sucked into the 'Weed Machine' in middle school or high school, and it just continues from there into a lot of people's adult years. Parents and every day Texas smoke off and on, but maintain this outward appearance of being against it. Weed's everywhere around here, and no one really acknowledges it too much.

Were marijuana to be legalized and sold in shops, I could easily see consumption swell for a little bit, before tapering off as the luster attached to the niche fades, much like movies and culture have steered certain kinds of people to certain kinds of drugs, based on what was popular at the time. Such as what has happened many times before with drugs like cocaine, heroin, LSD, Meth.

I don't see regulated marijuana as being too terribly harmful, and I honestly see it starting to draw marijuana away from minors over time due to the kinds of people who run those shops being very diligent in ensuring they can keep their business. Here in Houston smoke shops come and go because they sell to minors and get shut down, but the stores who last are the ones who are stern about carding and making sure customers are old enough to buy their wares. Honestly, having movies glorifying stoners as fun-loving adventurers has more effect on kids than having a shop that sells pot to those 18*.

I do see negative effects to decriminalization, and more with legalization, but those come mostly from fear of organized crime suddenly having a rather sizable hole in their drawings, and having to struggle with underselling the shops to make up for it, or creating or buying more hardcore drugs and pushing them harder. Criminals will fight hard to maintain the status quo on legalization

Ironicman    7

Dont understand the big deal.

Its legal here and no one uses it pretty mutch only uni students and tourists and no one else.

SatansNightOut    105

-text-

You definitely have some solid points, and interesting insight. I always figured Texas to be pretty rough on cannabis offenders.

Great news! Bad news though is it's gonna be Starbuck'd and overpriced probably as its now sold in stores.

Maybe Norway will legalize it one day too now that USA is doing it :)

The closest we have come to supporting this in Norway is one party that wanted to lower the punishment for doing drugs like Marijuana.

Murdercool    32

Congratulations Crimson! :D

Red    147

Hey, trying to become like us dutchies now? Good on you! :P

Glad to see it getting legalized over there. I would be happier, but I don't find Weed that much of a big deal to be honest. The crime rate should start to slowly drop now.

John Doe    0

Good step in the right direction in my opinion. Hopefully my own government will soon realize that the only way forward is to legalize marijuana completely. Not the "back-door" policy that we currently have. I mean it's legal to sell in weed coffee-shops, but it's illegal for coffee-shop owners to buy. It's like them having to do some kind of magic trick to create weed out of thin air.

Got a question though. Marijuana is still illegal on a Federal level right?

SatansNightOut    105

Got a question though. Marijuana is still illegal on a Federal level right?

Yeah, it is. There are some instances in Colorado and Washington where Feds have done raids and such, but it's not too terribly common. However, as much shit as Obama gets, one of the good policies he did make unofficially was that "marijuana is not a top priority for law enforcement. There are bigger fish to fry."

Terra    1372

Didnt know were to put it but I thought here it would fit the most.

This is acually so sweet and funny

[video=youtube]