Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 17:53

DMR range tutorial

I decided to post this after seeing that values on DayZDB were inaccurate. Might not help experienced players, who also might notice some minor errors but bare with me (greater distance less accurate my readings are), but could provide a nice guideline for beginners in the whole Arma 2/DayZ game.

Enjoy!

For those who might not want downloading files here's the link to the file on my dropbox account CLICK

Well i posted this one cuz those didnt work for me, ie. i would miss the first shot all the time, so i decided to try it out myself in the shooting range and those are the values i recorded. Maybe it really does differ from player to player im not sure, but yet again that would be stupid.

Oh so that might explain some stuff :/ haha yeh recently changed the FOV so i can see more on the screen. maybe that's why my values are different. Bleh well i used the tutorial from here and i have 16:10 screen and resolution of 1680x1050 so might help some ppl after all.

Yes thats what i used and from where i got the values, turns out that now after adjusting FOV i can hit targest up to 900m with the level 2 zoom by using the mildots on the scope (dont need to picture any additional mildots to hit the target) which is quite good since 900m is more than enough when shooting with dmr

• 3 months later...

Would the FoV thing explain why I need to aim above (eg using M16) the iron sights front sight post? Rather than putting the point directly over the enemy's head?

I don't think FOV changes that. AS the iron sights are still at the centre of your screen. If you shoot a DMR, no matter what your FOV is the centre mildot is always the same range. It only varies when aiming above or below the target.

Would the FoV thing explain why I need to aim above (eg using M16) the iron sights front sight post? Rather than putting the point directly over the enemy's head?

Nope, only affects the stretching of screen overlays and textures, such as the DMR's scope texture.

Models are unaffected by FOV change.

When shooting someone center mass, it should look like this:

800px-M16_rifle_correct_sight_picture_fig_4-18.png

M24 Guide

Aim at the Player and devide his Size with the Mildots he takes in your Scope, then zero the M24 to the Range and shoot.

Player = 1.8m

Example:

A Player is 3 Mildots tall in your Scope

1800 / 3 = 600

Zero to 600 Meters and shoot.

No need for a real Guide, the M24 provides you with every Information you may need.

M24 Guide

Aim at the Player and devide his Size with the Mildots he takes in your Scope, then zero the M24 to the Range and shoot.

Player = 1.8m

Example:

A Player is 3 Mildots tall in your Scope

1800 / 3 = 600

Zero to 600 Meters and shoot.

No need for a real Guide, the M24 provides you with every Information you may need.

Well, I play on a 94 (roughly) FOV, so the scope in vanilla Arma 2 OA won't work at all for me.

• Legend

Another way to calculate the range to your target, is to use a map (Requires you to have one obviously).

The map is divided into squares which are all 1000x1000. If you know your enemy is sitting in a certain treeline, and you know your own position, you can use these squares to get a range that is quite accurate.

This method isn't very good if you need to take a shot within 10 seconds though, but if you're laying on a hill to cover your friends, you could spend the time on estimating the range with your map!

For vanilla FoV settings all i need to know with a DMR is:

Target is 5 dots high = 360m, Centre crosshair.

Target is 3 dots high = ~600m, 2.5 dots down.

Thats my rule of thumb with the DMR, then i just estimate and make slight adjustments :)

More than 600m greatly reduces the likelyhood of a kill/knock out anyways...its a Designated Marksman Rifle, not a sniper rifle so long distance can be tricky :)

Just make sure to follow up with a quick second shot and you should be good!

Mil dot scope: 1.8x1000/target height in mil dots.

1.8 being the average height of a humanoid, times 1000, divided by the number of dots.

1.8x1000/5 = 360m.

1.8x1000/4 = 450m.

1.8x1000/3 = 600m.

1.8x1000/2 = 900m.

(Fully zoomed in)