Server time: 2017-08-19, 11:31

Sign in to follow this  
SatansNightOut

Miss Amy: You're Even Stranger

SatansNightOut    105

ke8zsi.jpg

Darkness, sweet darkness.

Never had Amy felt so relieved to be in the embrace of pure shadow. She couldn't see more than three inches past the tip of her nose, but this was a solace that offered comfort she had never known before. For her, there was safety in the darkness.

She struck a match against the cold, hard ground, and a small flame chased away the shadows as she touched the fire to a wick. The homemade olive-oil lantern adopted the flame, and grew brighter, sending the darkness scuttling back further.

Holding the Mason jar above her head, she tried to get a sense of the cellar she had stumbled into, much like Alice, who had fallen into the Rabbit Hole. Except, there was no White Rabbit waiting for her. Only dust.

A decade's worth of dust covered everything in sight. Old wooden tables were scattered with various odds and ends. An old rocking chair sat next to a shelf of garden tools and empty paint cans. Above the shelves was a set of deer antlers, poking outward from the wall with cobwebs strung between them. In the far corner, opposite of the stairs, were several boxes, some molded and decayed. One was a large gilded chest, with rotted clothing bloating out from the edges of the lid like the tongue of a strangled victim. The air itself was cold and smelled like mildew and musk, with a hint of earthy moisture.

2drfjph.jpg

A circular drain was built in the center of the cellar floor, with dark stains pooled around the rusted steel grid. Amy moved closer, bringing light over the small opening. Liquid sparkled beneath the grid---the pipes most likely clogged from years of neglect.

Amy turned a full circle, letting her eyes take in the room. It wasn't a very big cellar, but the windows were clouded with a thick coat of grime, blocking out the sunlight. It wasn't exactly comfortable, but it was safe, and dark. After spending six hours walking in direct sunlight with little more than a baseball cap to protect her face from the UV rays, her skin felt like it had been boiled. A distinct tightness gripped her face, making her grimace constantly. Touching fingertips to her cheek, she could feel small blisters, which stung sharply. She hissed in pain and lowered her hand.

Finding the cellar had been like discovering water in the desert. "I would have been so screwed," she mused to herself as she applied an aloe creme to her once-soft skin. Another hour or two and Amy feared she would have suffered 1st-degree burns, if she hadn't already. Thankfully, the house itself was literally just gone. Nothing remained but the foundation, which was what caused her to plunge through the floor into the cellar in the first place.

She sat and organized a nest of bedding on the cold floor, and thought back to the past several months.

After years of playing cat and mouse, Dr. Pheldon Fields had finally changed his tune. He had practically begged Amy to join him in his quest for knowledge, for answers. He was clearly an intellectual genius, but it's also common knowledge that many geniuses are quite literally insane. What Amy found even stranger was the fact that Dr. Fields, a scientist, was also a very devout Catholic. He tried to prove his feelings of repentence to Amy by lashing himself a hundred times on the back. The scars of self-abuse and humility would never fade, forever chiseled into his flesh as a reminder of his cruelty to others, including Amy.

She didn't buy any of it at first. But when Dr. Fields put a gun in her hand and set the barrel against his own head, Amy's conviction began to waver.

"You control my fate, Amanda," he said. "Look around! It's just you and me, no one else. No one will stop you. No one will punish you. You're the only one with power over my life." He even did her the favor of switching the safety off. "If you won't help me, then kill me. If I can't move forward in my work, then what is the point? Help me, or kill me, Amanda. It is now completely up to you."

All it would have taken is a twitch, just a slight flex of her index finger. The smallest effort in the world could be rewarded with a priceless treasure: the death of a murderous madman, someone who had tortured and abused Amy and her closest friend, Daisy.

dvmqus.jpg

But she didn't do it. Couldn't do it.

What if Dr. Fields was really onto something? Yes, he was batshit crazy. But if he had a way to help battle the Infection, who was she to throw that opportunity away? It wasn't her call to make, and maybe Dr. Fields anticipated this because he only smiled when she lowered the gun.

"Things will change, Ms. Struss," he told her as he stood. "But only if you help me."

So she did. And things did change, but not how Amy was expecting. Even Dr. Fields was remorseful at the results of the first series of experiments, using his own formulated chemical concoctions.

"This wasn't supposed to happen," he told her. "The enzymes were supposed to bind with your blood cells, but ..." He reviewed the data on paper. "It appears they've mutated the immunity. I did not anticipate this whatsoever. We'll have to do more tests."

The side-effects were quite tantamount: As the Infection spread into her blood-stream, her immune system did battle against the dreaded invader. But as the catalyst that moved the enzymes carried it throughout her system, an unexpected change occurred: Amy's blood had become anemic, or close to it. The Infection was taking over her cells, and only fresh blood transfusions kept the Infection at bay.

The enzymes also changed other cells in her body. Her skin was unusually sensitive to UV light, not unlike rare cases of Xeroderma Pigmentosum. Spending more than a couple of hours under the exposure of UV rays, or natural sunlight, caused blisters and burns to form on her exposed epidermis.

Amy was furious. What had he done to her? He was supposed to be helping, not mutating her into a freak of science. How was she supposed to survive with these drawbacks? These weakness? Hours of screaming at him had done nothing to alleviate her fury. He hadn't changed at all.

But after awhile, Dr. Field's reassurances and promises carried her past the anger and resentment. He gave her something to focus on.

"Find your friends. Let them help you, as they have in the past. We can fix this. Bring me someone like you---someone Immune. There are many variables I must consider, including blood-type. Especially blood-type. We require Immune individuals of each blood group, excluding yours. It is your choice whether to bring friends, or capture someone off the streets. I promise they will not be harmed beyond taking blood samples."

So here she was, back in Chernarus, returning from Dr. Field's latest off-shore labratory on one of the many oil rigs in the Black Sea. Things had changed, but Amy was still determined to fulfill her task, and to find a fix for the anomaly in her blood.

While she set up an IV attached to a blood bag, inserting the needle into the crook of her elbow, she thought of the few friends she had, wondering if any of them were still alive. Some she'd have to find. Others would find her. The rest were dead or long-gone from Chernarus.

Only a few days later would she eventually come across Conor, who would be the one to bring her the news of abandonment and loss.

You're a genius man :D

This is great!

Conor    243

Wow.

I think I agree that you are a genius!

You really do have a talent with these! I love reading them and glad you have continued writing!

Makes me want to finish the RP thread I have saved in my drafts :D

SatansNightOut    105

Wow.

I think I agree that you are a genius!

You really do have a talent with these! I love reading them and glad you have continued writing!

Makes me want to finish the RP thread I have saved in my drafts :D

The adventures I have with you guys inspires me, honestly. You guys are my fun. :)

I have a few ideas for in-game "quests" (Fallen-era type quests) for us to have fun with. Dun mean we all have to be in the same clan, but it could be fun for RP... :D

Talk more on Skype later!

But thanks guys, for reading. <3

SatansNightOut    105

Wow, this is just... Wow, amazing! You have a real flair for writing.

You're absolutely awesome for taking the time to read. :) Thank you!

Well this is a pretty darn good read, cant wait to see more!

Dougie    23

This is really good, I love how you described the room at the beginning. I felt like I was there...

Hope to see some more installments of this.

Sign in to follow this