Server time: 2017-08-16, 13:01

Sign in to follow this  
Uolla

Question about the map and the locations

Question

Uolla    0

First of all I have to say this is like my third day in-game.

I'm asking to myself:

How is possibile that I met up a lot of people able to find locations and move with rationality around the map? Are they experienced players and they know all the map? Because I know nothing. When I spawn I feel like I'm lost in a desert. Don't know where to go, how to move, I'm lost. Any help? I just need to get used to it?

9 answers to this question

I'm assuming you're new to ArmA 2 and the DayZ Mod in a whole so I can say at the beginning it is definitely like that and I personally miss the feeling of not knowing where I am. All I can say is that you travel around, mar certain things in towns so you can use them as reference points (kind of like Stary's tents or the International Hotel in Cherno).

If you're wondering where people go to RP, here is a thread where you can gain all locations you'll need to meet people. Sometimes the best encounters are in the middle of nowhere, so you can always just travel until you meet someone, that works as well.

Good luck in your travels mate,

Take it easy.

This map could help you out, it sure helped me out when I was new to the game.

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarus

Keep in mind though a few things on that map might be out-dated :)

SatansNightOut    105

Lots of us have had prior experience with Chernarus (ArmA 2, ArmA Life), and I can tell you that my days of smuggling heroin in the hills has definitely gotten me used to the map.

But ask anyone that knows me: I still get lost. So don't feel bad. ;)

Pretty much just use the map linked already. Look at landmarks similar to what you see in your travels, and come time you won't even need the map anymore. It's how I learned the map of Chernarus.

Course, you could always use this little knowledge of the land and immerse yourself in a better experience, perhaps when you see a survivor you can ask them for directions, your preferance.

Best way to play it. Find a compass in game, find a map. Learn to find your way around bit by bit. Explore, take in the sights.

I know the map like the back of my hand now but back in the day I loved exploring bit by bit and finding things out for myself.

Forget the online map!

Oldman    22

I am jealous, I wish I did not know the map either! We all know the map, because most of us played this game pretty hardcore. Follow the main roads and try to read the roadsigns will be my best tip I can give you. Oh and of course you need a map. Compass is nice, but not needed there are some tricks in the game to tell where north is, not going to spoil those :).

I am jealous, I wish I did not know the map either! We all know the map, because most of us played this game pretty hardcore. Follow the main roads and try to read the roadsigns will be my best tip I can give you. Oh and of course you need a map. Compass is nice, but not needed there are some tricks in the game to tell where north is, not going to spoil those :).

Truer words cannot be spoken! Those days when the map seemed infinite, every journey an adventure, unsure of reaching your destination, and of course the elation and epic feeling you get when TP hill finally emerged between the trees.. And of course the walking north on train tracks, meeting other runners, because otherwise you would lose direction and get lost on your way to TP xD At least that's how I felt when I started playing. Good times..

OT: The Dayzdb map is pretty useful, but I agree with SumoS. Find a compass, a map and start your journey! If lost, look at unique landmarks. The landmarks I used the most to find out where I was, you need a map for this, were simple roads. Every road has its unique curves, intersections and splits to dirt roads. Then you make a campfire and find out on the map where you might be (you will make mistakes and get lost still xD).

Most of all you must enjoy this feeling of being in a far stretched unknown land..! Knowing the map is nice, but to be honest, not-knowing the map is the best dayz experience and I think everyone agrees with that!