Server time: 2017-08-20, 02:26

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Blue Belly

Struggling with accents/RP'ing

Guest Blue Belly   
Guest Blue Belly

Hello,

Since I have been RP'ing I have always used text but I enjoy using my voice instead it feels more immersive but well my voice does not sound very good and I struggle with accents.Do any of you have some tips on learning accents or being more confident with speaking?

Thanks in advance

Clammy    0

YouTube video's. Imitate people, and you will get your head round it soon :)

snowman9852    9

Aye man just have fun with it and enjoy yourself no one cares and if you mess up this is the worst that can happen with you joining in also.

Now-Comes-The-Part-Where-We-Throw-Our-Heads-Back-In-Laughter-In-George-Of-The-Jungle.gif

Owen    13

Watch YouTube videos on how to do accents or possibly watch some RP videos from this server. Often enough it will give you an insight on how to do an accent.

On being more confident to speak go to a settlement on the server and talk to people. Often enough it is much easier when there are more people to talk to and you will feel a bit better about it.

Just practise it and you should be fine as everyone who had an accent had to start from somewhere to use it unless they can already speak in that accent.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Just speak no one will judge you.

With the accents, just keep trying, and you get better over time. Had a friend who sucked at Russian accents and about 2 weeks later i could say he well, perfected it.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

There is no way that you can be worse than myself.

So bad I have to RP as a girl.

It's okay, friend.

<3

Guest Blue Belly   
Guest Blue Belly

Thank you for all the tips !

I started off RP'ing as myself pretty much, I was awkward and my voice was predominantly very monotone and boring. Over time though I just opened up and became more comfortable and through that I was able to just try out some accents. They were no-where near perfect but I went for it and sometimes the dodgy slip of an accent can make for a bit humour.

I think the best thing to do is to be around others at camps and just slowly get involved in conversations. It was a long time until I had a character who I felt could be extrovert and drive situations/conversations forward. It will just take time.

I can't do accents and am too shy too even try xD I just be myself and if anyone can't hear you properly or understand they can let you know in some way :)

I believe listening to others accents helps too :)

Symmetrical    1

Try using common phrases, just do as best as you can, no one will tell you anything bad :)

At worst just use your own accent.

Accents are hard for anyone, it takes practice, I've been RP'ing with a Chernarussian accent for about 5-6 months and I can definitely see progress :)

Kanye    14

Honestly just practice, if I'm not doing anything hostile or important, every time I meet a new person I change my accent slightly just to practice. It is human instinct to copy accents, so hang out with some people that are decent at whatever accent you want to copy.

When i'm in ts with friends i like to try different stuff, although i was stuck on one accent for the longest time. Its just about confidence imo, and expecting it to not sound right at first :)

Igi    4

My advice is try an accent you're fairly familiar with or isn't too dissimilar to your own.

For example, I live in the north of England and I've been RPing with a Scottish accent.

It comes really naturally to me after a while due to the similarities to my own accent.

Though, I do have to ability to do quite a variety of voices/accents... I can't keep them up as well as my Scottish one :P

Fridge    0

Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I myself have tried many accents, I just can't pull them off due to my original accent not matching it. However when I find something that sounds rather nice and flicks off the tongue I tend to make a character around it. In the end it's all about whether you as an RPer feel comfortable with giving that accent to other RPers.

In the end it's just a confidence game not a skill game.

Guest Otmel Strangler   
Guest Otmel Strangler

Accents can be a real pain, and I tended to base my chars on identities I could at least attempt to pull off. Generally though, I tend to think that a slightly off accent is better than no accent.

Guest Blue Belly   
Guest Blue Belly

Thankyou all is it's just that I struggle a lot with my accents, I'm from the south of England and my voice is quite unique and is not very dynamic so my original accent always shines through it.It is quite annoying not being able to do accents when everyone is running around with Russian and Scottish accents etc. Even after hours of watching videos of people with different accents I just can't pull it off the way they do.

Also with my braces and awkward social skills I'm not the most charismatic person xD

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

We got an old saying out bush, sometimes life gets you down, all you can do is put on a brave smile, take a fuck load of MDA, then you're walking distance from the beach. Don't matter where ya live, if you've got enough MDA, you're walking distance from a beach, just don't forget a towel.

Risen Paul    0

Usually people don't even give me the chance to finish one sentence, before they ask me if I'm German, so there is no struggle with my accent :troll:.

On the other hand I'm constantly meeting survivors with whom I am not able to talk, due to their accent, dialect whatsoever, so it's probably wise not to exaggerate it!

DinoB    20

This is a lie, tons of people judge you by your accent and how your voice sounds, it's because that's how the world works. I've heard people say if your voice is a bit higher it can "ruin people's immersion", and I've also heard tons of people say for example: "that's a shit accent, he sound like he has a fucking fist up his mouth".

I personally don't judge people by their accents and how their voice sounds, but you need to open your eyes, there will always be somebody who will judge or question you.

Risen Paul    0

This is a lie, tons of people judge you by your accent and how your voice sounds, it's because that's how the world works. I've heard people say if your voice is a bit higher it can "ruin people's immersion", and I've also heard tons of people say for example: "that's a shit accent, he sound like he has a fucking fist up his mouth".

I personally don't judge people by their accents and how their voice sounds, but you need to open your eyes, there will always be somebody who will judge or question you.

I don't doubt those experiences, but if players endeavor for decent role play with an interesting story I couldn't care less for the accent. I mean, it's not like we are professional actors or something, aren't we? I would prefer a fluent conversation in any case...