What option do you prefer?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. What option do you prefer?

• DayZ Standalone
    • Life server
    • ArmA3 RP server
    • Your idea (post in thread)

Rolle    2962

This is by no means being decided here and now, but I'd like to know your -current- stance on what you would want from DayZRP in the next 1-2 years.

When planning future development and projects of DayZRP we have to be very careful. DayZRP mod is still the game that keeps this community afloat and will continue to do so in the foreseeable future, so we need to maintain it as best we can before we move to other things. The DayZ and DayZRP mods have already had their golden age and that time is probably not coming back, therefore we must look forward towards new projects and goals. However, wrong choice could result in community being unsatisfied with the changes or even shutting down because of inactivity or lack of creativity, hence this poll to see what you - the players - prefer. We currently have a few options available:

1. DayZ Standalone

The natural choice is to go over the the "NextGen" DayZ, which carries the legacy and many gameplay mechanics over from DayZ Mod. While this choice may seem the obvious one at first, take into consideration the uncertainty surrounding the Standalone development and no confirmed modding support or private servers. We can only do so much on private shards as GSPs allow us to do and we will never be able to introduce all modifications we want unless that changes. Without that, we can't run Standalone efficiently enough to support the community.

2. Life server

Altis Life or AnyOtherMap Life, popular game mode these days where players role play normal citizens and police force, creating game play similar to cops & robbers. Although sometimes repetitive, the games goals revolve around money and power, with gangs and police fighting each other and civilians interacting in every day chit-chat. This does not really feel like DayZRP kind of thing, but it might be interesting and provide different kind of RP which we haven't really experienced in the post-apocalypse world of DayZ. There are files available that we can start off and have a basic server ready within a few weeks time, so there's no major development requirement to start things off. It's the "easy way out".

3. ArmA3 RP Mod

Name above is just a placeholder. This has only been suggested recently by Igi, one of our developers. The idea is to create our own mod for ArmA3, similar to what Breaking Point did, from ground up or at least with base from other projects like DayZ Epoch which is currently in development. While a high risk project, it is also a high reward option which gives us freedom and control over how the game works, what things to implement and at which direction point the development without being constrained by limits of DayZ Standalone. It will also provide much more features and give the DayZ feeling which is not present in a Life server.

4. Your idea

While these ideas are what we in staff came up with, perhaps you have a better one on how the DayZRP should do in the future. Other games or mods perhaps? Is it something that would be popular in the community and others would enjoy? Can we host and modify the game or server files to add modifications? These are important aspects should be taken into consideration.

Mikachu    26

uncertainty surrounding the Standalone development and no confirmed modding support or private servers. We can only do so much on private shards as GSPs allow us to do and we will never be able to introduce all modifications we want unless that changes.

Wrong.

Modding support, fully private servers and more is all confirmed by both Rocket, BIS and the current DayZ team.

They even gave a rough timetable of when it will be introduced - once the new renderer is in.

Personally i'd expect it midway through next year at latest

Dougie    23

DayZ SA no doubt. The development for the game is going great and has only gotten better. The finished project for this game will be unbelievable for RP and I think it will far surpass the mod whether or not modding is allowed.

I think it's a clear decision. If we get a large player base back from it I don't see why we couldn't try out one of the other options but I see SA as this only path right now.

Guest Ketamine   
Guest Ketamine

I would really like to see a Life server, that focuses on RP. That would definitely spark some interest for me. The RP would also separate it from other life servers that aren't really RP focussed.

Mush    2

A life server within our community would be great, think of it as pre-apocalypse roleplay, that'd be really interesting with the creativity of this community. I'd love to see it.

Standalone is the obvious choice, we should continue down that route but keep the mod running beside it until it slowly dies.

Personally, I'd like to stay away from ArmA 3 for now. DayZ Standalone or ArmA 2.

Frisia    8

I would like to see Player vs AI Arma 3 server where the server is dominated by AI as in a Harsh Govermental Faction and the player can be an Criminal or like Rebel and do some geurilla fighting thoghetter and take over shit. Combat+RP.

Rolle    2962

uncertainty surrounding the Standalone development and no confirmed modding support or private servers. We can only do so much on private shards as GSPs allow us to do and we will never be able to introduce all modifications we want unless that changes.

Wrong.

Modding support, fully private servers and more is all confirmed by both Rocket, BIS and the current DayZ team.

They even gave a rough timetable of when it will be introduced - once the new renderer is in.

Personally i'd expect it midway through next year at latest

Rocket also promised release Dec 2012 and a bunch of other features which now - a year after public release - haven't been added. Sorry but I can't go on his or Bohemias word anymore, it's too big of a risk. I'll believe it once I see it.

I can honestly say i dont think standalone will and other games such as altis life sucks and most the other mods do!! DayZ mod has run its course and will die out and so will RP. Maybe rocket will let people have full control of servers and because at the moment he seems not too! Hopefully something will happen and the community will get back on to it

This shouldn't even be a question.

Pegasi    0

Right now I'm leaning towards Standalone, though if that stalls, I would lean towards ARMA3RP

DayZ SA is the best option if we can bring customization to private servers like we could with the mod.

With the SA finally picking up some pace, I think it's a less risky project than it used to be. Rocket and the DayZ SA team know that modding built DayZ (and, by connection, Arma 2), I doubt they will hang modders out to dry here. If they left private servers out they would cut out a significant chunk of players and opportunities.

Hatch    0

Standalone has hope, once there are set rules that revolve around the new mechanics, etc, it will become easier to play on and eventually people from the mod will move to SA as it is the "New" thing. We also need the lore, this way players can start building their characters and writing RP threads without holding back due to no lore.

I believe SA will soon develop and all the nice shiny things will soon be available. Even now SA is decent, there's some annoying bugs but nothing game changing - There's a bunch of bugs in the Mod but we all still played.

I for one voted for SA as I have hope that it'll turn out well. The mod has become stale now, even though it's a great game the RP mod itself has begun to lose its feel. With SA, I feel like I did 1 year and 5 months ago when I first joined the RP server.

Ancalagon    0

Wasn't sure what to take but i made my decision by now:

Arma3 Life ---> Arma3 RP

Why?

The Life mods are not too hard to set up, fun and quite popular. They are not only 100% serious roleplay, because you have different things to do as well. YET, if you want to RP, you canm always do this, with the rebels as well as with the police or other gangs. There are plenty of way how to spent your time on it, with more or less RP and with more or less PvP, depends on how you like it.

Why not Arma3RP?

An own mod is definitly something really nice to have. The thing is that we first need to create this mod. Some early versions might be available soon, yet i believe these should be restricted to some testers. A lot of games failed because devs released too early versions of the game and everyone got disappointed/lost interest. And it will take a bit until the mod is in a decent state.

During this time, the Life mod can work as some sort of bridge to get over the time until the first decent Mod versions can be released. It might also attract people who like the Life-experience but look for a RP community where you can get more serious RP if you want it. I already experienced nice RP on Life servers, but i think it could become much better with out current community and its experience.

The life mod can also have the function to keep players who lost interest in the mod around.

I always wanted a switch to Arma3 since i heavly prefer it, lots of things are improved, the setting is different and i can use Voicechat without me lagging :P

So yeah, thats my idea how to do it.

Yes i completely left out Standalone and thats because i somehow lost interest in it. I simply don't like the game, i don't really know why, even tho it gets new features. Maybe in a later state but right now, i'm not interestednor do i want to entrust the community to this one option.

I hope with this post, i was able to convince to people to believe in Arma3. They made huge improvements in comparison to Arma2, its simply a lot better, even if the good old weapons are missing.

And that Arma3RP is a awesome thing, normally my first choice as well, but we need something for the time where the mod is still in early stages. They're both in the same game and i think both projects are more or less close. People who play on our Life server would surely test out our mod, as well as people who wait for the mod would visit our Life server

can we get both DayZ SA and atlis life? :)

atlis life would be a nice pace change incase anyone got tired of zombies, than those that get bored of atlis life can go to dayzsa.

Options :)

Edit: If we can only choose one then i vote for standalone heh

Burgz    6

the games goals revolve around money and power, with gangs and police fighting each other and civilians interacting in every day chit-chat. This does not really feel like DayZRP kind of thing

Doesn't it?

All the current mod really revolves around is power and gear/vehicles no? with bandits and heroes fighting each-other and civilians talking amongst themselves. It feels exactly like DayzRP but you know...not an apocalypse like you say. I think it'd be fun to try, why not?

the games goals revolve around money and power, with gangs and police fighting each other and civilians interacting in every day chit-chat. This does not really feel like DayZRP kind of thing

Doesn't it?

All the current mod really revolves around is power and gear/vehicles no? with bandits and heroes fighting each-other and civilians talking amongst themselves. It feels exactly like DayzRP but you know...not an apocalypse like you say. I think it'd be fun to try, why not?

Why not? Because if it doesn't turn out the way we think it does the community ceases to exist, thats why not.

Conor    254

can we get both DayZ SA and atlis life? :)

This ^

But since we can only vote for one thing, I voted SA.

Burgz    6

Why not? Because if it doesn't turn out the way we think it does the community ceases to exist, thats why not.

But will it? Will it really?

You don't have to close every single server and open a Life one do you? Open it up, if people play, then people play.

You keep the mod open obviously and then trial these servers, all of them, because I believe most of them will have quite some support. Then you re-do the poll and see what people want.

Never going to satisfy everyone.

But will it? Will it really?

You don't have to close every single server and open a Life one do you? Open it up, if people play, then people play.

You keep the mod open obviously and then trial these servers, all of them, because I believe most of them will have quite some support. Then you re-do the poll and see what people want.

Never going to satisfy everyone.

If we open all these servers all of them would have around 10 people on them at a time and interest would be lost.

Burgz    6

If we open all these servers all of them would have around 10 people on them at a time and interest would be lost.

Brah. Don't be narrow-minded. It's obvious to see that I wasn't inferring we should open 1 mod server, 1 Life server, 1 SA server and 1 Altis/Arma 3 server all at the same time...

one by one.

Brah. Don't be narrow-minded. It's obvious to see that I wasn't inferring we should open 1 mod server, 1 Life server, 1 SA server and 1 Altis/Arma 3 server all at the same time...

one by one.

Apologize if i came off narrow-minded, but in my opinion there are more than enough life servers out there and this is called DayZRP for a reason. We have something special and unique here and the only reason there is no hype is because the mod has been out since the beginning of 2012. Have you realized that since we opened a SA server with -NO- controls for the admins how many people have come back? Once it's up and running the servers will be flooded again.

Guest TehGreekGamer   
Guest TehGreekGamer

My personal thoughts and idea..

DayZ-Standalone

The game has some bugs and yes sometimes is unplayable, but in my opinion is better than the mod. Why? Because you focuse more on surviving than finding weapons. The customization options are a big plus for me...you couldnt do that in the mod.

Another thing that i have noticed while i was playing SA is that you dont get robbed that easily. The mechanics of the game make it sooo hard to firefight that people are thinking twice before going drop weps 10 secs on you.

For me SA is big yes, even if its bugged. With a little imagination everything can work out.

Garrys-Mod

I'am not talking about a Dark-RP style server. I have seen some serious RP servers in G-mod with amazing features. Because of the open code of the game is easy to script and you do amazing stuff. I would really like to see a direction towards valve games. From experience i know that hosting a G-Mod server is really easy.

FireMatt    1

Got to admit, I'm liking the idea of our own ArmA 3 mod.

However, that would take time to build and there is always the chance that it will fail mid-production (highly unlikely due to how amazing our devs are right now) but is it something we should risk?

Personally if we did go down the route of making our own mod I would highly suggest that we put up something like Altis life so people can get into the feel for ArmA 3, and with what Igi said on another thread he could easily make customised scripts for Altis life that would benefit our community.

Once Standalone has modding capabilities and logs however, it will most likely be king of the castle. I for one, can't wait for SA to be better than the mod but sadly that won't happen without modding, logs or tools.