Server time (UTC): 2021-10-18 06:42

Direct chat agro

• Legend

Being able to talk as much and as loud as you want around zombies hampers immersion and thereby RP.

Dunno if it's possible, but maybe there could be a volume / distance ratio type threshold before aggro is activated? If nothing else, we need to turn the distance way down.

That could be the reason Scouty and myself were pulling zombies from as far away as we could see (without zoom), while discussing how to approach towns or various locations. It wasn't fun, since you'd otherwise have to be out in the middle of a field/forest talking - and even then, run the risk of drawing zombies on the edge of town (like we did more than once).

If it doesn't do the same for direct text, then I suppose that's the best form of communication when near infested areas... but that still isn't very realistic, as direct text is meant to represent spoken communication, as well.

Guest Brelios

I think if the aggro range could be lowered it would be alright, but I agree with Coorin that it discourages communication which is bad for RP.

Had a funny scenario earlier, where I was getting robbed inside a small house in Stary Sobor(I think). All of a sudden an unending horde pours into the house, the robber eventually ran out of ammo and we both died together.

Though it might be okay (especially because it kind of "enhances the immersion" a bit), I'm not sure it's even possible, and the thing about volume wouldn't work for those who use text chat exclusively (like I had)...

If you use text chat exclusively, why are you always on about mastering your Chernarussian accent?

On topic, it would b good if volume could be taken into account but with a non-standardised set of mikes and voices that wouldn't be fair on some. I say get rid of it.

i wasnt aware it was already implemented. i never noticed, it makes sense though. zombies work off sound and sight.

can it tell between screaming and whispering?

It's enough that you press caps lock, or whatever you have binded the key.

From a few calculations I noticed something interesting: The average intensity/volume of a (loud-ish) discussion is about 60 dB within the immediate vicinity, about 1 meter. The volume would lower to about 22 dB at 80 meters. The sound of leaves in the wind is about that volume within the 1 meter distance, so a zombie would definitely hear you talking from 80 meters or even more.

Even silent speech can be up to 40 dB, and from 1 meter to 80 meters it comes down to 2 dB, which is absolutely barely audible, the limit being 0 dB. In the case of silent speech, a zombie 80 meters away from you would hear his breath twice as loud, assuming they breathe... The problem, however, is the intelligence of the zeds.

How in the name of Great Cthulhu can a zombie differentiate between sounds? Even living dogs can do that only if you train them well.

• MVP

This is redicioulus...

7 mins in.

And now he initiated the robbery outside the town....

• MVP

This is redicioulus...

7 mins in.

That's pretty bad but in a way maybe beneficial as bandits have to be very responsible around towns when they commit to a robbery. Let's say that it can make you guys hesitant to start one where before you would not have cared.

I had the same problem inside a warehouse where I was communicating with someone and zombies kept getting aggroed.

This either needs to be toned down somehow, distance or zombies ability to hear, or we need more channels to be able to communicate in.

• Legend

This is redicioulus...

7 mins in.

Hahahaha, that is AWESOME! This may be the greatest DayZ video I've ever seen. This is exactly what I envisioned when I first heard about DayZ - the zombies add a formidable component to inter-clan warfare and hostile interactions in general. I notice that you guys have adapted your tactics somewhat, so kudos for that, but maybe you've still got some work to do.