Server time (UTC): 2021-10-22 19:15

New, simpler rules

Roland

• Server Manager

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lshl5_9fvvbbZJDFUp_B3ZNtJ5GW5waXAUn4qlbpQTs/edit

I feel these rules give much more freedom for players to do whatever they want to do ingame. As long as you roleplay your character and do not shoot on sight you are free to do want you want. I think it will bring back the fear of meeting strangers in DayZ (less carebear) and lower the amount of reports to a minimum.

Thoughts and suggestions?

• MVP

There will be more reports as people are eased into the new rules. It will reduce them in the end though.

"4. Safe zone

The trade post (TP) is a safe zone located near Prigorodki, north east of Chernogorsk.

The TP is marked as a blue circle on the map. TP is a safe zone and thus no hostile actions of any sort can be initiated inside or around it."

People are free to flee there? e.g. They get initiated on and head to the trade post, knowing they cannot be killed. (Ah 'initiated' on, still worth mentioning as it isn't entirely clear)

In addition to the old rule where people that have initiated a hostile action are not allowed to enter to prevent people from losing their revenge timer. What about that?

• Emerald

Could you explain loss of contacts on death?

Also, what kind of "executions" are allowed? Does this mean:

A) If found in your territory, you can execute someone once you've identified them and explained why?

B) If you find a leader of another clan, you can kidnap and execute them?

That just brings up conflicts of killing someone's character before they are finished with them, and doesn't explain how say, The Employer, could come back as the leader of the Injected if he was killed in a drug deal gone wrong.

• Legend

"death of your character makes any previous contacts/gear and knowledge void."

I assume this means you can't re-join a fight or go back to recover gear from your body, but you're still a member of your clan, and you can remember where you left your tents in your previous life?

• Server Manager

There will be more reports as people are eased into the new rules. It will reduce them in the end though.

"4. Safe zone

The trade post (TP) is a safe zone located near Prigorodki, north east of Chernogorsk.

The TP is marked as a blue circle on the map. TP is a safe zone and thus no hostile actions of any sort can be initiated inside or around it."

People are free to flee there? e.g. They get initiated on and head to the trade post, knowing they cannot be killed.

In addition to the old rule where people that have initiated a hostile action are not allowed to enter to prevent people from losing their revenge timer. What about that?

You are not allowed to initiate inside or around the KoS. If you already initiated somewhere else and the person fled to TP - kill him.

Could you explain loss of contacts on death?

Also, what kind of "executions" are allowed? Does this mean:

A) If found in your territory, you can execute someone once you've identified them and explained why?

B) If you find a leader of another clan, you can kidnap and execute them?

That just brings up conflicts of killing someone's character before they are finished with them, and doesn't explain how say, The Employer, could come back as the leader of the Injected if he was killed in a drug deal gone wrong.

You are still a member of your clan or group, but because of your new life you can't remember how you died. You have to roleplay - that's the most important rule that all others rely on. You can execute someone if your character has a good reason to.

"death of your character makes any previous contacts/gear and knowledge void."

I assume this means you can't re-join a fight or go back to recover gear from your body, but you're still a member of your clan, and you can remember where you left your tents in your previous life?

Yes, pretty much.

so in a nut shell, we have to run the honor system for new life rule? ermagherd guise i gt sht da hed 8 tyms now i raspewn t betch most fend tntz!

well no the honor system, but a metagaming rule?

idk maybe this is the line between a RP server and a semi-RP server.

sorry for major changing mind but the new rule set is nice. just... gray areas, we all know how that goes down x.x

and what is meant by RUle 3? You will be removed for not staying in character? banned?

• Server Manager

All of you, even those whitelisted, donors/whatever will have to write a character bio for your character. That's the new whitelist application. Not roleplaying the character you described will lead to removal from the server. You will be able to change the character bio to a different one and "reapply" later on.

We have never been a real role playing server. We are becoming one now.

• Emerald

I fear that we are exchanging clear and somewhat controversial for completely gray areas of server rules. I think this may even lead to more reports. "They executed me for walking through the forest. How was I supposed to know? Rage."

I kind of like these rules, but I don't think they will accomplish the goal you guys are aiming for. I think it will take a trial time to see if it's effective.

You can execute someone if your character has a good reason to.

I'm still confused. What do you mean by a "good reason"? A good IC reason, or a good situational reason?

For example, if my character is a bandit hunter, am I free to execute anyone wearing a bandit skin? Or does that mean if his friend seems to be trying to flank me, etc, he's free to be executed? Does this allow for staged deathmatches?

• MVP

I fear that we are exchanging clear and somewhat controversial for completely gray areas of server rules. I think this may even lead to more reports. "They executed me for walking through the forest. How was I supposed to know? Rage."

I kind of like these rules, but I don't think they will accomplish the goal you guys are aiming for. I think it will take a trial time to see if it's effective.

My thoughts.

Less rules = more problems when moving from a more complicated system. If a report is opened then people need to justify executions with a strong reason why.

• Server Manager

You can execute someone if your character has a good reason to.

I'm still confused. What do you mean by a "good reason"? A good IC reason, or a good situational reason?

For example, if my character is a bandit hunter, am I free to execute anyone wearing a bandit skin? Or does that mean if his friend seems to be trying to flank me, etc, he's free to be executed? Does this allow for staged deathmatches?

Both of these are valid. Like I said, I want to give as much freedom as possible to the players, while still maintaining the all important no KoS rule which gets rid of Cherno factory and Electro hill snipers that kill anyone they see (read any public and private server without rules).

As for the reports - they will be handled, as always but will heavily rely on video footage. Without one the report will have slim to none chance of being handled.

All of you, even those whitelisted, donors/whatever will have to write a character bio for your character. That's the new whitelist application. Not roleplaying the character you described will lead to removal from the server. You will be able to change the character bio to a different one and "reapply" later on.

+1

The best idea.

Hope. Restored.

somuchwin.gif

for those of us eho already have a story, will you tell us if we need more info on the story?

IE i have my story for Random Hero ((is that an ok name to use now since this is an RP server?))

OOOO maybe we can play "parallel time lines" where whenever we die its ok, because now we are in ANOTHER UNIVERSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! *dramatic backdrop music*

Ooh. This should be fun. Where's the bio to be posted and how strict are you to follow RP? To the point where mentioning OOC stuff ingame is disallowed, or a more just a guide as to how your character should react to new situations?

I'm changing from hero skin to female then, I don't want to hurt my throat making man-noises.

Ooh. This should be fun. Where's the bio to be posted and how strict are you to follow RP? To the point where mentioning OOC stuff ingame is disallowed, or a more just a guide as to how your character should react to new situations?

I'm changing from hero skin to female then, I don't want to hurt my throat making man-noises.

I dont think our story should HAVE to detail how our character reacts to situations only because you'll never know how someone TRUELY acts until you meet them.

just my 2 cents though.

I dont like that kind of rules, they are far to much in favor of bandit playstyle. And even more so of bandit clans.

They do make the rules "SIMPLER" as in less charactes in a sheet/page.

But makes all the interepretation up to the GM at hand.

The current rules are large as to the amount of charactes on a page, but not very large as it comes to RULES.

If you look at the rules they are basically this

3 rules:

KoS - kill os sight

NLR - new life rule

CoC - code of conducts (hacking and behaviour)

Defenitions and examples:

Definition of Hostility

Defenition of punishments

Defenition of bad behaviour.

defining examples of the above.

NEUTRAL ZONE

(trade post)

Why i find the new loose "dynamic" rules bad.

Fair Play

meaning one Gm can say one thing in a case and the other something totally different in another similar case. Ruling can be made based on alliance and mood.

There could be back scratching decisions made. There are player clans with active Gm´s. How tempting is it not for biased decisions or decisions as support of a fellow GM. Alliances not know to the player or players involved. if the rules are not clear.

There is already warning flags raised in this matter, in recent report discussions.

Common Sense and "fair" as they are defined in the example rules.

Who´s common sense and fair to who.

The player with a bandit play style or the player who is here to survive. I vote the community's common sense if any, which should be defined so it is not open speculation. OR shoud it be definined by the GM online, see my tgoughts on fair play.

Intent

This opens up even more for bandit playstyle on server.

meaning aslong as intent is given, it is ok to kill.

Get out of cherno or i or will kill you - bully behavior, we are going to kill you now - bang bang.

etc. balota airfiled is the property of

you have 2s to run west or you die. So executions are going legit, on who´s popular demand?

i want this community to be kill a player only if hostile or robbery compliance rule. And more about as a community surviving a zombie holocaust. Some people do this by robbing other players. Some people by helping other players and some in between as survivors.

but not killing at a whims. With a simple macro spam as an excuse.

I want this guys stuff, i warn him. then chug a grenade into the building.

not as now.

i warn him give him a chance to give up then chug a grenade. leaving the option to survive open.

I rather see the kill whores kill on RDM servers personally. i dont want kill whores on dayzrp.

Also there are many question marks as to interpretation of the rules. Questions that in some cases were there with the current rules, but as i see it are fewer with the current rule-set due to the definitions.

I say a strong NO to the rules

• Emerald

I dont like that kind of rules, they are far to much in favor of bandit playstyle. And even more so of bandit clans.

They do make the rules "SIMPLER" as in less charactes in a sheet/page.

But makes all the interepretation up to the GM at hand.

The current rules are large as to the amount of charactes on a page, but not very large as it comes to RULES.

If you look at the rules they are basically this

3 rules:

KoS - kill os sight

NLR - new life rule

CoC - code of conducts (hacking and behaviour)

Defenitions and examples:

Definition of Hostility

Defenition of punishments

Defenition of bad behaviour.

defining examples of the above.

NEUTRAL ZONE

(trade post)

Why i find the new loose "dynamic" rules bad.

Fair Play

meaning one Gm can say one thing in a case and the other something totally different in another similar case. Ruling can be made based on alliance and mood.

There could be back scratching decisions made. There are player clans with active Gm´s. How tempting is it not for biased decisions or decisions as support of a fellow GM. Alliances not know to the player or players involved. if the rules are not clear.

There is already warning flags raised in this matter, in recent report discussions.

Common Sense and "fair" as they are defined in the example rules.

Who´s common sense and fair to who.

The player with a bandit play style or the player who is here to survive. I vote the community's common sense if any, which should be defined so it is not open speculation. OR shoud it be definined by the GM online, see my tgoughts on fair play.

Intent

This opens up even more for bandit playstyle on server.

meaning aslong as intent is given, it is ok to kill.

Get out of cherno or i or will kill you - bully behavior, we are going to kill you now - bang bang.

etc. balota airfiled is the property of

you have 2s to run west or you die. So executions are going legit, on who´s popular demand?

i want this community to be kill a player only if hostile or robbery compliance rule. And more about as a community surviving a zombie holocaust. Some people do this by robbing other players. Some people by helping other players and some in between as survivors.

but not killing at a whims. With a simple macro spam as an excuse.

I want this guys stuff, i warn him. then chug a grenade into the building.

not as now.

i warn him give him a chance to give up then chug a grenade. leaving the option to survive open.

I rather see the kill whores kill on RDM servers personally. i dont want kill whores on dayzrp.

Also there are many question marks as to interpretation of the rules. Questions that in some cases were there with the current rules, but as i see it are fewer with the current rule-set due to the definitions.

I say a strong NO to the rules

This wasn't designed to be a no KoS server. This was designed to be an RP server. Welcome back to all teh fear, paranoia, and rush that is Day Z. Group up, mate.

• Server Manager

The simple rules do not favor one side or the other - they allow you to do whatever you want ingame as long as you role play. Valid reason from the characters perspective will be required to kill or execute a player. We won't be accepting mentally ill serial killers or other characters that could abuse this.

You seem to be forgetting that this is DayZ, and when it comes down to real roleplaying, there are no magic "I have to wait 5 seconds after I've warned this guy before I shoot" or "use text chat because he is not responding to me" rules that you have to follow. The no-KoS and TP safe zone are near the limit of what I want to restrict players with.

I want the experience to be hard, rough and realistic. That's also why we're making the DayZRP mod to make the experience even more unique and in-depth of what DayZ is. The current rules and gameplay are not what I wanted them to be when I first started this server, that's why we're making the changes. I realize that not everyone will like them and that we might lose quite a few players who did not join DayZRP to roleplay but simply because of the no-KoS rule, but if we're gonna keep the name DayZRP, there better be -some- role playing going on soon.

Also, GM accused of biased decisions is just silly, it's almost always more than 2 GMs that look over a report before making a decision.

• Emerald

I hugely support this. It'll be different, but good. I think this may not take away from disagreements over kills, but it should be moving to the discussion side. Good role players will acknowledge that the kill was fair, I bet.

We will have to focus on enforcing the in character rule first, to remove kill farming bandits who aren't here for the role play.

The current rules and gameplay are not what I wanted yhem to be when I first started this server

This is a first server wide spot of that, but hey. ok.

If we are going to keep it RP...

Why would anyone want to warn their victim of robbing them?

Why would you want to warn a victim able of defending themselves of murdering them?

i find the current amount of robbers, whom it feels like are more then survivors to be higher. Perhaps it is because of the shere numbers of robbers. The survivors avoid the cities primetime as a plague.

How will the server be post "pro" execution rules?

I name them execution because that's what the new rules are. opening up to executions.

This means that the server is primarily open to clans. Who wants to do organised raids etc.

What about the playerbase who dont roll like that.

Also about the GM conspiracy part, sounds far more like a conspiracty theory when i read my post then i intend it to be.

What i mean to say is i dont like it when rules are far to open, to interpretation.

Leaves it to open to the individuals personal way of seeing things.

What also need to be defined is this a community server?

• Emerald

Yes it is. And so far the community seems to be in favor.

Grouping up is a part of the surviving and thriving process. It is naturally encouraged in game. It SHOULD be safer and more rewarding to have teammates.

Bandits who kill more than they role play will most likely be removed in place of more compliant bandits who are creative with their banditry. You should fear bandits. You should be scared of moving in their territory. You should be afraid of insulting them.

The old rules made it far too safe. I would say "Theres SDS. I don't have any good stuff, I'll stick around. Who cares." the game should make you fear bandits and hostile groups and strangers in general. These rules will bring us back to a true Day Z and RP experience

Yes it is. And so far the community seems to be in favor.

Grouping up is a part of the surviving and thriving process. It is naturally encouraged in game.

TBH...

Less, more simple rules. 	        45.10% 	46 	45.10%
<45.1%>
Keep the ones we have right now.         3.92% 	4 	3.92%
Use the ones we have, but improve them. 44.12% 	45 	44.12%
<48.05%>
I don't care. 	6.86% 	7 	6.86%

leaving the keeping the rules faction ahead.

just saying...

if we are counting votes its a close call but the keeping them ahead, if we count loudmouts.. who wants a high postcount, yeah maybe you are right.