Server time: 2017-10-18, 16:52
Safe Zone: OPEN

Sign in to follow this  
Grihm

Creating underground complex solution?

Question

Grihm    16

I was reading up on the Free Stalkers info when i got to think about areas and complexes to live in. I know there was some problem in creating caves or underground bunkers etc.

When i was playing with the Arma editor, i tried altering the ground elevation and depth, and i was wondering if it would be possible to place a house or such in a dug out place, like a ditch or something and then raise the ground around it to swallow the entire building, thus creating a somewhat actual underground complex.

Could this be done? If that would work, then one could move inside of lets say train wagons or such and just have one entrance to the outside while everything else is underground and dark.

21 answers to this question

Grihm    16

Like the car tunnel in the second link, that would be an awesome add to a more creepy atmosphere. I know i know it´s not chernobyl we play in, but i for one would love to have much more rainy days with long rp events by a small fire in a cave or such just sitting there sensing the feel of being wet, cold and hungry.

Wish one could just take an entire settlement and place a cave roof over it and vioala...instant cavecomplex and underground bunker!

Leonidas    0

Is there an editor to do this with? I would like to give a try at creating something like an underground bunker or an old Cold War missile silo facility.

Rick    19

I'm pretty sure anytime something like that was suggested, it never worked out well due to issues in-game. While I would agree it would be awesome, I don't think it's feasible in the end (unless things have changed recently)

Grihm    16

Is there an editor to do this with? I would like to give a try at creating something like an underground bunker or an old Cold War missile silo facility.

I used the Arma 2 Editor from the gamelauncher. Not hard to work in with the 3D and very good tutorials on youtube. AS you say, expanding the map with silos and underground would be interesting since it´s always nice with something new and exiting. Damn im installing Misery and Stalker now to get inspiration.

Sure DayZRP is not about Stalker in the same way, but i tend to miss the creepy enviroment and weather effects from those games. Really adds to the general feel.

In DayZRP im just giggeling as soon as it starts to rain

Othuyeg    20

Digging into the ground itself would require editing the existing Chernarus map and I do not believe this to be feasible. What could be done is to create something above the ground and then "dig" into that. But in short, underground structures have a very slim chance of actually working out.

For example the caves, I believe, were created by simply creating rock formations above the existing Chernarus map.

Another thing to note is the fact that these large structures will simply be beyond what can be added to the mission file currently.

Monty    0

As Othuyeg has already mentioned to edit the actual topography of any given map you need to use the map editor and have someone who is proficient in it's use, it cannot be done in the mission editor 2D or 3D. That said map makers have been able to have underground structures, look at Taviana Island for example the author managed to recreate a metro station. It's not perfect though and is more to do with the actual structure made to look underground then placed in a very narrow valley.

Leonidas    0

True. If this was something that can be done in dayzrp I would do the bunker completely different and make it look more dank and damp the further you go down. Aaaaaand actually build it similar to some of the bunkers I have been in.

KpopKilla    74

You would have to cut a hole in the map and place an existing building there to have the effect of a bunker. You couldn't have it too deep either because there is a waterline underneath the terrain. This is how they did it on Namalsk.

The script you linked would actually work quite well just keep in mind nothing could be put in the bunker as it would most likely be in debug. You also would be to log in the bunker as their is scripts that teleport you back to the coast if you disconnect in debug.

Lucky    0

You cannot edit the map without a certain file. Sadly its not possible to add bunkers and such without these said files :(

Whitefur    4

Can't you just built an object and teleport to another structure in debug like in hard corps?

KpopKilla    74

You cannot edit the map without a certain file. Sadly its not possible to add bunkers and such without these said files :(

You need to .wrp file of the world. Unfortunately you can not get for Chernarus as Bohemia interactive made it and do not want anyone editing the map in a major way.

Lucky    0

You need to .wrp file of the world. Unfortunately you can not get for Chernarus as Bohemia interactive made it and do not want anyone editing the map in a major way.

Yup. We can however get it for Namalsk or Podagorsk.

KpopKilla    74

Downloading Namalsk right now, haven't taken a look at it for a while so it would be good to find how big it is exactly. Most likely a third island would have to added, possibly with an emphasis on medical loot as there is only one hospital in the map.

Owen    14

What maybe you could do is make an entrance which teleports you to a building which mimics an underground bunker. I think it was done it Dayz Hardcorps as Whitefur stated. The bunker would be then placed in debug so it can't be reached by foot and only accessed by the place where you can teleport to.

Would you say your question has been answered, Grihm?

Grihm    16

Would you say your question has been answered, Grihm?

Yes thank you. I am satisfied.