Server time (UTC): 2021-10-21 05:44

New Storage Options

Spotter

Do you want new storage options?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Emerald

Id like to see some variance in persistent storage. For instance, a different tent model and a set of boxes from the boot camp shooting range.

In terms of balance, authenticity, and gameplay, these variants should be implemented for more dynamic camp hunting and base building. Like who needs to put a tent indoors to store something when you're character should EASILY be able to store his items in a dark green box in a building.

EDIT: You could also vary the space to compensate for how small the storage spaces would be. A small green/wooden crate would be difficult to find in a town or the like, and would likely only hold a couple guns and 30 items. This would balance the difficulty of finding them to the value of the hidden items. You shouldn't e able to hide 10 NAtO weapons in a shoebox so that no one ever finds it, but I think it's fair to have a box to hold 1 weapon and 10 items or personal or special use (like I would place a silenced pistol and the Employers black suit in it.)

I'm tired of people hiding their possessions at the base of trees. I like the idea of hiding things in plain sight. Having a wooden crate as your "tent" in some industrial area would make it very difficult to detect, but it's just as fair and realistic.

arma2oa2012122201004036.png

Arma2OA_2012-11-18_13-53-47-00.jpg

arma2oa2011011510373255.png

This is a cool idea, but with rocket having problems with even tents saving properly and remaining saved on restart a few patches ago I think this could be quite hard to implement. But on the other hand, maybe not, it might be simple to implement. Should be looked into, hopefully base building will start playing a bigger part on dayzrp.

• Emerald

This is a cool idea, but with rocket having problems with even tents saving properly and remaining saved on restart a few patches ago I think this could be quite hard to implement. But on the other hand, maybe not, it might be simple to implement. Should be looked into, hopefully base building will start playing a bigger part on dayzrp.

Base building is a different thing, entirely, in my opinion. I believe with a server like this, it should either be very difficult or resource intensive to construct a base. Or, you must have materials and request the base from the admins to be implemented into the map. That way there is no construction spamming, and only prominent, stable regular clans could construct bases.

Shall we open a thread to discuss this as well?

I would like to see scrap metal have various uses. Adding them to cars to fortify them or just to build makeshift barriers.

On topic, I would like to see more storage options. You need a vehicle or a tent to store things. If the problem is only for tents maybe you could use the code of a vehicle, but change the model to look like a tent or box. And just take the ability out to drive or sit in it?

I don't right script and such for DayZ so this may not even be possible.

What if you donated money like 20 Euro and it was like a base that you made that was a place where you can store your stuff? Maybe like a safecamp or something where you can attack or defend it kinda like a PCB but that nobody could steal ur stuff unless a battle goes down. The defenders have so many no's before they have to fight.

• Emerald

What if you donated money like 20 Euro and it was like a base that you made that was a place where you can store your stuff? Maybe like a safecamp or something where you can attack or defend it kinda like a PCB but that nobody could steal ur stuff unless a battle goes down. The defenders have so many no's before they have to fight.

Waaay too pay to play in my opinion. Paying money shouldn't get you any special abilities, and frankly, having stuff that cannot be stolen just doesn't feel like DayZ. Besides. It's not about the gear. It's about the experience!

• MVP

Simply add in boxes that have the same functionality as backpacks. That way you can store them in vehicles in a backpack slot or could carry one instead of a backpack.

The problem is that restarts tend to wipe all the gear in bags whilst they are in a vehicle/tent as far as I know.

• MVP

I like this idea. Arma2 has loads of ways to store stuff(more kinds of ammo boxes then I can count), and with storage capacity in vehicles in dayZ being identical to how it works in Arma, I dont think it can be -that- tricky to implement the boxes that already exist in arma 2.

Being able to carry them around and deploy them however might be a different matter, but it should be within the realm of the possible.

• MVP

The problem is that restarts tend to wipe all the gear in bags whilst they are in a vehicle/tent as far as I know.

From my experience, I've never seen any of my items disappear when I store them into backpacks and place them into tents/vehicles.

• 1 month later...
  • Emerald

yeah backpacks inside a vehicle will always be empty after a restart, i love the idea though, those boxes exist in arma so i guess it should be possible :)

Yeah I'd like to see large crates, ammo boxes, footlockers, etc.

Then people's locking suggestions would actually make sense. lol

• Emerald

To bad there isnt a way to tell the server

"hey player 1 made this box and logged off, better log off with him"

"hey player 1 made this box, ill make sure plays 2-50 cant get in"

I'm no totally in favor of storage locking, but here's a way we could maybe make it work in the engine: placing a box creates a unique key object that's placed in your inventory that only opens that box.

You choose a combination to your item that you can get a prompt to type in, like 22L, 13R 27L.

• MVP

No locks please.

Additional containers like suggested box - cool but the smaller size - the smaller capacity. Anyway, I dont know if locks are possible to make afterall. And even then, what would be the problem to bash/shoot the lock off ?

• Emerald

No locks please.

Additional containers like suggested box - cool but the smaller size - the smaller capacity. Anyway, I dont know if locks are possible to make afterall. And even then, what would be the problem to bash/shoot the lock off ?

Like I said. I'm not convinced on locks.

• Emerald

Don't see how you can say no to this, but I think it's not a priority. There are a lot of good additions DayZRP could add to the game. The question is, what comes first?

Optimization and debugging. Pretty sure that's why a lot hasn't been added lately.

You see, from a view of the ARMA 2 engine implementing other storage options should be realtively easy, as we already have working tents. It would be only a matter of swapping out the "old tent" model with a box model when pitching a tent. Most of the work around making it a box that you can carry and plop down would be simple copy and paste, except for creating a new 3D model of a let's say folded box to spawn in the world.

Nevertheless it would still be work.

The whole locking mechanism is somewhat a greater challenge, even though I can think of at least one way to do it with an already preplaced static object, as I have before tried to create the illusion of a "locked crate" in an ARMA 2 mission.

It involves some scripting and is basically a dirty hack, and I had also only done it for a crate that always has the exact same gear in it, so no putting in extra gear once the crate was locked. Not sure how it would work for a box that you can plop down, fill with stuff, then lock, then unlock again, pick up again and plop down somewhere else.

The way ARMA works is that if you want to reference an object in the world directly you need to name it and the idea of creating a specific key as an entity that only belongs to a specific box entity would be quite hard to realise, because I can see no easy way of giving a box a set name that never changes when you place it an pick it up again.

I think adding more storage options is a great idea, but trying to get locks working is just too much of a hassle and should, if ever, be one of the last things on the to-do list.