Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 17:31

Roleplaying a victim

So I've seen a lot of chat and arguing recently about how little the bandit clans are roleplaying. I don't want to just babble about more of the same, but all that talk got me to thinking - is the burden all on them?

I've been thinking a lot lately about being a victim of a robbery. Most people just comply, maybe say a couple things, then move along. I think, in reality, the victim has a much more dynamic role to play.

Mostly I think victims ought to be more vocal, and act more frightened. The thing I've seen is most people just silently doing whatever they're told, and in cases where it's "5 secs or die" macro banditry, there really isn't too much choice. Attempting to RP just provides them a technically legal kill to add to their negative humanity tally. However, with more developed bandits, there's a lot of interesting room to play.

For example, if your character were the weathered, experienced sort, he might comply while tossing insults at his robbers. You can drop your gun and insult someone's family at the same time. If your character is a bit more skittish or craven, perhaps cry, or beg for mercy or something along those lines (depending on the actions of the robbers). Or, for most folk, I'd imagine the usual nervous mild fear would work. Why not, when robbed, say to the robbers "Whoa, whoa! It's okay, I'm putting the gun down, nice and slow" or something? Perhaps make it a point to try and argue to get some of that gear back? Maybe lie, pretend to be delivering goods for someone else, pretend to have snipers around, or pretend to want to help them out, just to get away from the scene of the crime?

This thread is intended as a discussion and partial guide to roleplaying as a victim of a robbery, not to talk about the quality of robberies or anything of that sort. I'd love to hear what other folks do, or think would be good, in the event of a hostile robbery to promote roleplay.

Guest Sam Goodenough

Since I am new I have yet to be robbed (or is that flawed logic, ha?), but I think this is probably a major issue:

The thing I've seen is most people just silently doing whatever they're told, and in cases where it's "5 secs or die" macro banditry, there really isn't too much choice. Attempting to RP just provides them a technically legal kill to add to their negative humanity tally.

So, when (not if!) I get robbed I hope it is a role-playing bandit, because that is what I like to do -- as if indeed my life was at stake, basically. Won't say more than that, though. ;)

Guest Sam Goodenough

we shouldnt have to "hope" for a roleplayer... *sigh* Welcome to "DayZ NoKOS"

No, but from reading the forums here it sadly seems to be that way, no? :(

Thats mainly due to the script bandits,

I understand the use of scripts in the first instance and but from then on it should be about the roleplay element.

I for one an the silent victim most of the time, but I kinda like the example you gave and will be trying that from now on.

Thump'

• Emerald

I try to encourage my guys to try to sneak out as much morphine from the robbery. Or if we are making a shipment, try to bargain for the product or if they try to take the drugs as well just go berserk as an addict would.

For my luck, I didn't encountered any robbers at all, not yet. I hope the first one will not be one of these infamous '5sec robbers'. This would be a very dissapointing for me, because I would like to play the victim in my character. Not as person who sits at the computer. Aleksandr Nicholas Kerensky is not a brave person and will surely beg for mercy and shit his pants.

I saw some videos of robberies and my thought was "This is roleplay?". I think there should be a guide what roleplay really contains. I read my first days the forum with attention and these thoughts are coming up very often.

• Emerald

For my luck, I didn't encountered any robbers at all, not yet. I hope the first one will not be one of these infamous '5sec robbers'. This would be a very dissapointing for me, because I would like to play the victim in my character. Not as person who sits at the computer. Aleksandr Nicholas Kerensky is not a brave person and will surely beg for mercy and shit his pants.

I saw some videos of robberies and my thought was "This is roleplay?". I think there should be a guide what roleplay really contains. I read my first days the forum with attention and these thoughts are coming up very often.

We're doing what we can to change this. But some groups seem that they're here for the no-KoS as opposed to the RP. If you look at it like that it just means they're cowards taking advantage of people trying to play the role of someone who's not a dick, and thus they come out on top due to their exploits and wind up with the most assets and then they get to rob some more.

Be the change.

The in-character rule could not come sooner.

• Emerald

Macro bandits = just comply, move on.

RP bandits = have fun.

Guest Hopelink

No, but from reading the forums here it sadly seems to be that way, no? :(

It really does.

• Emerald

(THIS DID NOT ACTUALLY HAPPEN JUST A MADE-UP STORY!)

*Godfrey began noticing suspicious activity around himself... No contact was made through text or voice yet, however... As a precaution, he starts wolfing all of the food he has in his backpack, sucking up the soda/water as if he was dying of dehydration, and using as much of the painkillers and antibiotics as he can (yay overdose!) until he reads...*

"You there, with the glasses and kevlar vest. Put your gun or guns down, along with your backpack. This is a robbery, y'see? And I've got two snipers situated on roof tops watching you."

"Really man? You're going to rob me? All I've got is the loudest goddamn rifle on this island, and you wanna rob me? Okay, fine."

*He dropped his Lee Enfield, makarov, and backpack (the third of which makes a loud hollow metal-on-metal scraping and clinking sound)*

"Hope you love about 5 USD worth of recyclable materials."

*He walks away around a corner, and then waits. He listens for the bandit to walk up to his backpack, and then peeks around the corner. Sure enough, the bandit is rummaging through it. Godfrey goes back around the corner, out of the bandit's view, and equips his hatchet, filled with desperation rivaling that of a psychopathic zealot.*

"Huh" *He said to himself in his mind,* "I haven't been shot yet.. maybe the guy was bluffing.."

*He then rounded the corner and began making a beeline for the bandit, hatchet at the ready, and then started to shout,* "FOR THE CHERNARUSSIA---" *Until he was cut short NOT by a sniper rifle, but by a helicopter that crashed into both him and the bandit.

The helicopter was piloted by Jamie. Coincidence? You decide!*

(THIS DID NOT ACTUALLY HAPPEN JUST A MADE-UP STORY!)