Sign in to follow this  
Guest GreenGod

Permanent warning points?

Permanent warning points?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Permanent warning points?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only in certain situations such as ban strikes or other major offenses.

Guest GreenGod   
Guest GreenGod

Was wondering what the community thinks about permeant warning points, should they be applied as they are now, only given out in certain situations or not at all?

The Clown    1

Mine have their 1st anniversary soon. There will be a celebration-appeal.

I'm not sure what you're getting at though. Aren't they only given in very special circumstances ?

If so, I feel that's the right way to use them. Every case I know of where they were used I can see the thought behind it.

Maybe you wanna elaborate your post a bit ?

King1510    0

Only in certain situations such as ban strikes or other major offenses.

Well that's what I believe ^

Guest GreenGod   
Guest GreenGod

I'm not sure what you're getting at though. Aren't they only given in very special circumstances ?

If so, I feel that's the right way to use them. Every case I know of where they were used I can see the thought behind it.

I was thinking about it when I came to the conclusion that I could flame you right now get some warning points then do it again when they ran out. it's hardly a corrective measure the way it is now.I am also willing to bet that patterns can be seen in users posts when they have a high number of warning points hanging over them versus when they don't.

Leonidas    0

I see your point, but the other side of the coin is that a person may flame a post, realize what they did is wrong and never do it again. Would it be fair to permanently penalize that person permanently if they change their behavior to within the acceptable norms? I am for points that go away over time, with shown good behavior.

Sin    127

... I could flame you right now get some warning points then do it again when they ran out. it's hardly a corrective measure the way it is now.

This is something staff has had in mind for a long time, and there have been many and long discussions about it.

My argument was always "Everyone knows the score." If you're a habitual flamer or otherwise regularly make an ass of yourself on the forums, everyone knows who you are and how you are. They will discount your opinions accordingly.

In practice, it's not hard to take a look at your post history and warning history - if you're a habitual flamer and get reported for flaming again, staff takes that into account and ups the punishment. Appropriately.

As far as permanent points go, yeah, they're for special occasions. I feel as though staff strikes a pretty good balance. Most of the people who have been permanently banned truly deserved it. There's a few who probably deserve it who are still here, continuing to hold staff's collective feet to the fire, and keeping them honest, or at least awake. Can't say I agree with everything that's ever happened, but on balance, things seem just about right.

Rolle    2970

We're working on a warning system that will set the length of your warning based on previous warnings.

To give you an idea, if you get warned for something and you have gathered X number of points in the past Y months, your new warning will expire after Z+1 months.

Currently just a concept though, senior staff can set longer warnings on case to case basis if they think it's warranted.

Oldman    22

I was thinking about it when I came to the conclusion that I could flame you right now get some warning points then do it again when they ran out. it's hardly a corrective measure the way it is now.I am also willing to bet that patterns can be seen in users posts when they have a high number of warning points hanging over them versus when they don't.

Wookiebooki did that and now he is permbanned.

My personal experience with permanent warning points is that they are good. When I received them I finally realised that I was just acting immature and trolling too many times. It sounds weird but I'm glad I've got the punishment otherwise I would be permabanned by trolling or flaming...

Months went by and here we are. I think I've changed completely since then. I just look at things differently now, in a way that could never make me post something that would get me warning points. I just feel I'm above all the banter and baiting and trolling and people trying to annoy others. I'm totally immune for it all. Maybe I just realised that I shouldn't be a keyboard hero, but instead treat everyone here like you would treat them irl.

Anyway, for me the permanent points worked and I don't even care about ever getting rid of the permanent part, I don't have to prove myself, I'm happy this way :)

Diggy    0

I think points given for OOC issues or flaming should be longer. You could say they should even be permanent, with a chance to eventually appeal the permanence of the points at a later point. Like said before, people know to disappear/act reasonable once they have received these type of points. The problem is though is that a good amount of people wait for these points to disappear before they commit a similar offence.

Red    255

Keep them permanent. If you act like a jerk than you deserve those points. Behave normally and show respect and you will never have to worry about warning points.

Proxzor    3

... I could flame you right now get some warning points then do it again when they ran out. it's hardly a corrective measure the way it is now.

This is something staff has had in mind for a long time, and there have been many and long discussions about it.

My argument was always "Everyone knows the score." If you're a habitual flamer or otherwise regularly make an ass of yourself on the forums, everyone knows who you are and how you are. They will discount your opinions accordingly.

In practice, it's not hard to take a look at your post history and warning history - if you're a habitual flamer and get reported for flaming again, staff takes that into account and ups the punishment. Appropriately.

As far as permanent points go, yeah, they're for special occasions. I feel as though staff strikes a pretty good balance. Most of the people who have been permanently banned truly deserved it. There's a few who probably deserve it who are still here, continuing to hold staff's collective feet to the fire, and keeping them honest, or at least awake. Can't say I agree with everything that's ever happened, but on balance, things seem just about right.

Shoulda pushed Gijs his idea back when we were still staff... Would've made DayZRP such a better place :P

Muntz    3

The current warning system definitely has large faults. It serves reasonably well for what it is though. While members might be able to continually push the boundaries by various means, higher punishments are given for repeated offences. In extreme cases, it eventually comes to the notice of the GMs and admins. Once it has come to our attention, we discuss strategies such as permanent warning points as a final effort to correct the behaviour. Then we inform the individual privately of what action is being taken and what is required. If that fails, removal is the last option.

The main problem with the current system is that it needs that human input. We need to notice the history of an individual. Then we need to decide how to proceed. The ideas we are currently working with would eliminate most of that. They aim to account for the individual's history and provide us with a constant and gradual increase of time and points given depending on that history.

In short. We are aware of issues and are working on it. :D

Shoulda pushed Gijs his idea back when we were still staff... Would've made DayZRP such a better place :P

Yeah, it does exactly what people seem to want here. But I think at the time people were less enthusiastic about it, even within staff. The staff thread should still be around though.

Jesus, it's a while ago...

Proxzor    3

Yeah, it does exactly what people seem to want here. But I think at the time people were less enthusiastic about it, even within staff. The staff thread should still be around though.

Jesus, it's a while ago...

Mohammed, just a year...

Guest The Reverend   
Guest The Reverend

Even though I have had -bad- experiences with certain people and subjects, I have voted maybe. I did that because I realise that a permanent system like such will be a very good thing to stabilise people's intentions IG and make them think before they do anything. I went for the 3rd suggestion, because I don't thank that permanent warning points should be given for bad posts or anything like that. Only for KOSing and etc.

Arcarius    25

Yes, It would make people think about what they are about to do like: Is this going to get me in trouble. To me some people in this community act before they think like: It will be fine in get kick for a few days no big deal.

No people think before you act it's common sense.

My vote is Yes.

Roofcake    8

Keep them permanent. If you act like a jerk than you deserve those points. Behave normally and show respect and you will never have to worry about warning points.

If what you said actually happens, a LOT of people would have permanent warning points....which I guess really isn't a bad thing.