Server time: 2017-10-18, 09:25
Safe Zone: OPENING SOON

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
Diggy

Screen flickers [Update with videos on page 2]

Question

Diggy    0

So ever since I set up my gaming PC I have come across a huge problem. It seems that no matter what game I play, there is always some sort of flickering/flashing going on. I have googled the problem many times, but cant seem to come across a solution. It happens in literally every game I play, but when I surf the web/watch videos, it only happens occasionally.

Recently when I went to play ArcheAge and DayZRP, the flickers were completely unbearable.

The screen is a plethora of different colors, with only a few small boxes I can see through to the actual game. It flashes like crazy, and I am forced to cntrl alt delete because I can even see the menus to close the game.

I have heard that it may be an issue with the monitor cable, but I don't understand why it only happens when I play games and not all the time if that is the case.

Either way, I have a decent chunk of money so if it is an issue with the cable or the monitor itself I could easily replace it.

Hopefully I am not the only one who has had an issue like this, and someone has a solution that I can try.

25 answers to this question

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Would you be able to record it? I think i know what your talking about.

Laurence Taylor    3

if it doesn't show when it is recorded then it is a monitor/cable issue... if it does get captured then it's more than likely a gpu problem. you probably bought a dead gpu, should of sent it back as soon as you saw the problem starting. too late to send it back?

Try removing your gpu and using your processors internal graphics chip and see if it still happens?

Diggy    0

Would you be able to record it? I think i know what your talking about.

Yeah I could try and take some pictures of it happening and upload them once I get back from class.

if it doesn't show when it is recorded then it is a monitor/cable issue... if it does get captured then it's more than likely a gpu problem. you probably bought a dead gpu, should of sent it back as soon as you saw the problem starting. too late to send it back?

Try removing your gpu and using your processors internal graphics chip and see if it still happens?

I haven't tried recording game-play ever since I was given the PC. Like I said though, it never really happens unless I am playing a game, and some games are worse than others. When I browse the web and things like that the issue never occurs.

Red    241

It's seems like a graphics card issue most likely. Can you double check if it's slotted in correctly. Does it happen outside of games too, for example when you surf on the web?

Phatal    50

Often times in transport or build during for gaming PC's the products inside may jar. Maybe your graphics card isnt fully connected, it may also be a problem that it is going out or there is a wire or soddering that may not be done appropriately. Are you sure it is a fresh graphics card?

Diggy    0

Often times in transport or build during for gaming PC's the products inside may jar. Maybe your graphics card isnt fully connected, it may also be a problem that it is going out or there is a wire or soddering that may not be done appropriately. Are you sure it is a fresh graphics card?

We purchased the computer as a whole "package deal" I guess you could say, so I didn't put anything together myself. I can try and open her up and see if anything is loose when I get the chance.

Pyrah    1

Isn't this called "screen tearing"?

Can you activate VSYNC on the game and see if it works any better? Usually has something to do with how monitors keep up with refresh rates etc.

Are you running a monitor with a HD cable?

Laurence Taylor    3

Can you activate VSYNC on the game and see if it works any better? Usually has something to do with how monitors keep up with refresh rates etc.

I don't think he means the distortion of the image that is scree n tearing. I think he's getting graphical artifacts. these are caused by faulty/overclocked GPU's performing unnaturally!

I think :P

Diggy    0

I don't think he means the distortion of the image that is scree n tearing. I think he's getting graphical artifacts. these are caused by faulty/overclocked GPU's performing unnaturally!

Yeah this sounds about right. For instance when I play ArcheAge the grass flashes unnatural colors like blue and red. Does this mean I need a new card? I am a complete scrub when it comes to PC gaming due to me gaming on a laptop the majority of my time.

Also, would it be worth trying a new cable before anything else? I wouldn't mind getting a new card, but if it's simply the cord I could live without spending the extra money.

Laurence Taylor    3

Yeah this sounds about right. For instance when I play ArcheAge the grass flashes unnatural colors like blue and red. Does this mean I need a new card? I am a complete scrub when it comes to PC gaming due to me gaming on a laptop the majority of my time.

Also, would it be worth trying a new cable before anything else? I wouldn't mind getting a new card, but if it's simply the cord I could live without spending the extra money.

yes and yes!

Diggy    0

Ok, I am going to purchase a brand new cord and see if that makes things better for me.

Keep this as unsolved, I will let you guys know if this solves my issue.

Diggy    0

Any updates on this Diggy?

Unfortunately it is going to take a bit of time for me to get a new cord. Like I said, I'll get it asap and let you guys know if it solves anything. If that doesn't work I guess my next course of action would be a new card.

Diggy    0

Finally got around to recording the issue

This first video is how it is at all times. Random little things that look like shit.

[video=youtube]

The second video is what happens if I play for a bit, and all of a sudden shit just goes out of control as you can see.

[video=youtube]

Hopefully this is enough for someone to give me a concrete solution. I would rather just know what is wrong right away then spend money on things that may be useless.

Let me know what you guys think

Diggy    0

Bumperino before I head to bed. Hope the videos provide some insight on what the problem is. I literally am slowly reaching death without PC gaming.

Rifleman    14

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers? Because this looks like your Graphics card is failing to run Arma with these texture mess ups and such.

Also, Is this just for Arma and Archege, or is it happening on other high-spec games?

What kind of Graphics driver do you use? (Nvidia, AMD; what version)

Diggy    0

AMD 7770 is the card I currently have. When I play ArcheAge the same thing happens, as well as when I play Arma 3. When I went to update the drivers it said they were all up to date.

I also noticed that while dropping my graphics quality in game, the second video doesn't occur as fast or often. I still see little graphical bugs like in the first video, but they do not reach the intensity of the second video. When I recorded both videos I had all of my graphics on very high.

Small graphic errors like in the first video even happen when I play CSGO

Diggy    0

Any updates on your issue Diggy?

I was informed by a friend that it's most likely a screwed up GPU. You can mark this as solved, because I think I have know what my next step should be. I'll update you guys on when I get around to replacing it, and let you know how it goes. If I have any issues after i'll most likely ask this to be reopened.

Guest Liquid   
Guest Liquid

One last point, When you do replace the GPU go with Nvidia there cards don't have these problems with foliage.

Diggy    0

One last point, When you do replace the GPU go with Nvidia there cards don't have these problems with foliage.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be looking into this.