Server time: 2017-08-18, 05:12

Sign in to follow this  
bou00100

Jonathan Clark (background story)

bou00100    0

I still remember the last thing she said to me.

"This is only for a couple of days, don't worry about it."

I keep trying to remember her voice, the way she said it, her peculiar half happy half sad expression, but I just can't. Like a dream, the more I try to grasp it, the faster it slips away. Not a day goes by without missing the loving, caring and beautiful person she actually was. The look in her eyes, the feeling of her skin, it just makes me feel empty, knowing that I will never see her again.

The so-called "outbreak" didn't impress us much on the other side of the border.

We had our own lives, jobs and responsibilities to take care off. We talked about it, ofcourse, but we didn't see it affecting us any time soon.

How ignorant we were back then.

I had a job as well. Technically I didn't need one, because Melissa's career in medical research at the local univerisity was enough to afford our needs. But I chose to work because I wanted to do what I love most. My Cal 39 was my everything. I could sail it pretty smoothly on my own, doing so every weekend.

Almost all my spare time went into cleaning, repairing, upgrading and maintaining it. In those moments I was completely lost into my hobby.

Melissa didn't mind. She kept reacting suprised and interested everytime I took her sailing with me and showed her what new things I had done with my vessel. This made me feel like I was alive. Like I had everything with me that I ever needed right then and there. But ofcourse, such things never last...

We talked about our jobs to eachother. About everyday things. About the news. About the outbreak. It was getting worse then we thought it would be, more serious, more threatening. It still felt like we wouldn't be affected though.

But we were.

Melissa's research department was ordered to do tests on the infected in Chernaurus. She assured me it was going to be okay, and that there was no possible chance that she was at risk. It was only research after all. She wanted to do this. After a lot of convincing words and promises that she would be careful, I let her go. I still hate myself for that. I have never wanted to roll back the time so badly.

She promised to call me as soon as she landed. That phonecall never came. Things went silent. Very silent. We heard that the troops trying to contain the outbreak had failed. The airport was overrun. The borders were flooding with massive amounts of these "walking dead". It spread to other countries, and eventually also to Russia.

I hadn't given up the hope yet. I tried everything in my power to get into contact with anyone who could give me a clue of where Melissa was. Most just presumed they were dead. They had bigger things to worry about, like the infection, spreading to our coastal town. She could still be out there somewhere, I just thought. People fled. They ran. They drove. They flew. With no result, than to arrive at another place where the infected were waiting for them.

I went crazy. I couldn't give a FUCK about all the others. I wanted my girl back.

I heard the growls, the moans, the beastly fucking sounds these beings made. This was when I made my decision. I packed up everything that I felt could help me on my path. With 2 bags on my back and 1 in each hand, I ran out through the backdoor to the waterside. To my boat. The one thing left in this world I could trust. With the infected approaching I made the ship ready to go, sailing off just in time before the first bloodthirsty maniacs could get to me.

I knew where I was going. This was going to be a 3 day journey, with the wind blowing 15 knots from the northeast. There was still a chance. A chance, that she was alive. That she was out there. So I set my course to Chernaurus.

I was so determined to find her, that it almost killed me. Almost.

Nothing on my way to get to the last bit of hope I had on this planet could stop me. Not even the charcoal black clouds ahead...

I had been in storms before. but this was not a storm. This was the wrath of mother nature unleashing it's fury on the waters. Even with my years of experience I wasn't able to keep my Cal 39 under control. The rain dealt a thousand punches, the wind cut like a thousand knifes and the waves collapsed onto my boat like wrecking balls. It was completely dark, and then I could see everything in a bright light for a short moment, before the sky exploded. Never had I heard a bang this loud. Disorientated, cold and completely exhausted I saw how my mast snapped. A final smashing wave hit my vessel like a train.

This is when it all went black.

How it is possible I awoke here, on this beach, is impossible for me to understand. Some part of me says it was determined. The universe has spared me, and I am not planning to waste this chance.

This. Was. AWESOME.

A great backstory of a real character with true feelings, the determination to find his wife against all odds. If you ever think about writing more, write more. I'd love to see the tales of this man's journey.

Guest The Reverend   
Guest The Reverend

I could not get my eyes off the screen. The backstory is superbly immense, I can only say that this is one of the best backstories I have read in the past month.

Great writing, vivid language. I can only suggest working on the paragraphs, they tend to cut off in some parts.

bou00100    0

Thanks for the kind words and tips. They are all very welcome. I have just checked my application satus and I have been accepted! Super happy, can't wait to play with everyone!

Well, I'm happy for you buddy! If you need any help, any one of us staff are here to help.

Also, noticed that your IG name. You need to use a full name. :D

Sign in to follow this