Server time: 2017-08-16, 21:34

Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

Gunnar Glasses

what do they supposedly do?

Alan Woods    3

They protect your eyes from the radiations by eliminating the blue(if I'm correct).

Guest Grumby   
Guest Grumby

Apparently they protect your eyes from getting sore after staring at a screen. They also make everything look like this:

Gunnar-Effect.jpg

Apparently they protect your eyes from getting sore after staring at a screen.

Well if thats a problem the OP suffers often with then sure why not i would say they are worth it

Clammy    0

Gunnar Glasses are supposed to make you play better in games such as CoD and CS:GO. My friend has a pair and he recommends them as they somehow make you concentrated.

I honestly never understood them, if you're not a professional gamer that plays almost all day every day I don't see the need to get glasses just for eye-protection.

Mellstrom    21

My friend has digital 3D glasses that he puts on and they block a certain wavelength of the sunlight. When i tried them on it was like my eyes just relaxed and it took less energy to focus on things both close and far away. Maybe this is something similar.

Igi    4

I've owned a pair for a while now... spent £90 on them (You have to get them imported if you live in the UK).

I need prescription lenses anyhow and at the time my only pair was broken... the Gunnars were actually a decent alternative for a while because my prescription is pretty weak and the Gunnars actually magnify slightly.

Also, I had some pretty bad eye strain going on due to me spending sometimes 24+ hours straight staring at a screen. I can't honestly say if they helped or not.

It wasn't a sudden benefit... if anything it took months for me to notice a difference.

It could have been the magnification or the tint/coating that helped... I don't know.

Either way, I wouldn't waste your money to be honest. If you're suffering from eye strain, just use a program like f.lux. It's free and does almost the same thing.

Whitefur    4

I have a pair, and they actually do reduce eye-strain and increase focus. Although they are a bit uncomfortable and wash out the color of your game a bit. I would recommend them tho because if you do get eyestrain you can put them on and it fixes it without looking off your game.

Whitefur    4

I have a pair, and they actually do reduce eye-strain and increase focus. Although they are a bit uncomfortable and wash out the color of your game a bit. I would recommend them tho because if you do get eyestrain you can put them on and it fixes it without looking off your game.

Igi    4

I did quite a bit of research into the sciency part of all of this when I bought my Gunnars.

There is a reason they're so expensive.... Well, for the most part anyways.

Gunnar Optiks have a patented coating that they put on their lenses. I'm not going to roll off tons of crap in this thread but essentially, a lot of the cheaper alternatives are just basically yellow tinted glass/plastic.

Gunnar Optiks on the other hand do more than just filter out blue.

They're also shaped (depending on what type you buy) to reduce the amount of air that gets to your eyes and thus stopping them drying out as easily.

There's no excuse for the ridiculous price tag though... it's that high purely because they can.

Honestly, for most people, any form of tinted glasses (including the NoScope ones mentioned above) will be more than suitable.

However, if you spend an ungodly amount of time in front of bright screens; and I'm talking like... software developer style time; then the extra pricetag can be worth it.

My suggestion, and I regret not doing it myself, is don't buy any of the retarded "gaming" glasses from Gunnar. Get some of the ones tailored to typists and programmers. They don't look as silly and have fantastic reviews from a lot of professionals.

P.S. I promise I'm not a Gunnar employee :P

P.P.S. I still recommend not wasting your money and just using the program I mentioned, 'f.lux'.

You can tweak exactly how much you want it to tint your displays and it even auto-adjusts depending on the time of day.

Igi    4

I did quite a bit of research into the sciency part of all of this when I bought my Gunnars.

There is a reason they're so expensive.... Well, for the most part anyways.

Gunnar Optiks have a patented coating that they put on their lenses. I'm not going to roll off tons of crap in this thread but essentially, a lot of the cheaper alternatives are just basically yellow tinted glass/plastic.

Gunnar Optiks on the other hand do more than just filter out blue.

They're also shaped (depending on what type you buy) to reduce the amount of air that gets to your eyes and thus stopping them drying out as easily.

There's no excuse for the ridiculous price tag though... it's that high purely because they can.

Honestly, for most people, any form of tinted glasses (including the NoScope ones mentioned above) will be more than suitable.

However, if you spend an ungodly amount of time in front of bright screens; and I'm talking like... software developer style time; then the extra pricetag can be worth it.

My suggestion, and I regret not doing it myself, is don't buy any of the retarded "gaming" glasses from Gunnar. Get some of the ones tailored to typists and programmers. They don't look as silly and have fantastic reviews from a lot of professionals.

P.S. I promise I'm not a Gunnar employee :P

P.P.S. I still recommend not wasting your money and just using the program I mentioned, 'f.lux'.

You can tweak exactly how much you want it to tint your displays and it even auto-adjusts depending on the time of day.

Caeldon    1

I've owned a pair for a while now... spent £90 on them (You have to get them imported if you live in the UK).

I need prescription lenses anyhow and at the time my only pair was broken... the Gunnars were actually a decent alternative for a while because my prescription is pretty weak and the Gunnars actually magnify slightly.

Also, I had some pretty bad eye strain going on due to me spending sometimes 24+ hours straight staring at a screen. I can't honestly say if they helped or not.

It wasn't a sudden benefit... if anything it took months for me to notice a difference.

It could have been the magnification or the tint/coating that helped... I don't know.

Either way, I wouldn't waste your money to be honest. If you're suffering from eye strain, just use a program like f.lux. It's free and does almost the same thing.

What this guy said, I started using f.lux because of eye strain (never used to happen, only recently started happening) and no longer get strained as much.

Rhys    1

I think so, i have a pair and they do as advertised so..

Apparently they protect your eyes from getting sore after staring at a screen.

Well if thats a problem the OP suffers often with then sure why not i would say they are worth it

I bought a pair about 3 months, I used to get really sore eyes from looking at my screen. Since I've bought a pair, I noticed a difference literally the first day after using them. I no longer get sore eyes from looking at the screen.

I bought gunners because I heard a lot of great reviews about them and i've had bad experience using "Cheaper Alternatives" of products before, So I paid extra for the "sense of security" a name brand gives.

It's really up to you, As for "They make you play better" I don't think that's true, But if you get sore eyes then I would look into getting a pair.