Server time: 2017-10-19, 05:30
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Consolidation of Ideas for Improved Gameplay

Mace    10

All right, so over a bit of the 1.4.1 hotfix rolling changelog I proposed some ideas, and I've found myself having a couple of others as well which I think should be put down into a proper suggestion thread so that they can be judged by the staff and other members of the community for whatever value they may hold.

Now, I'll preface this saying that these ideas have come mostly from my experience with 1.4.1 and the issues I've seen that could be handled differently so that we can have something a bit more believable and something that wouldn't stress the suspension of disbelief in game.

These will be spoilered with a heading over each one to save space and not have a massive wall of text.

[spoiler=Suggestion One: Matchbox 20]

One of the things that seems a bit odd to me is the sudden realization that I only have a few matches left that comes randomly through use. I understand the need to limit the items that we have so that people aren't able to just keep using the same knife or the same box of matches in order to force them to hunt for supplies after being "Geared up" and forcing more player interaction.

This is a good thing, don't get me wrong. I'm not arguing that we should have infinite matches. In fact, I'm arguing the exact opposite: Finite matches per box. The way the game works right now, you have an X% chance every time you use matches of suddenly realizing you only have five left. This means an unlucky person could only have six matches to a box, and a lucky person could have 50.

The basis of the idea is that we set all matchboxes to spawn with 20 matches. The small bit of research I've done puts this as a very, very small number compared to the usual sizes that are available commercially, with most smaller matchboxes holding 30-40. Having 20 gives an idea that they have been used to an extent and aren't entirely new, but still gives the player an exact number of uses from the beginning. This removes any kind of luck element from play, and allows for more strategic thinking with more limited resources.

[spoiler=Suggestion Two: The Whetstone]

One of the big things that I really found myself liking in the hotfix thread that I brought up was the idea of a whetstone item. Knives, like matches, randomly have a limited number of uses, and while this is more feasible to me, as you can never be quite sure how used a knife is unless you are knowledgeable about them and understand the difference between an edge being blunt or simply no longer being true, it still does not have a solution.

Now, the situation above, with matches, is very difficult to "fix" with the way the code works. You can't just carry around an empty matchbox and go stuffing new matches you find, it would clutter loot tables and having a fixed number is an easier way of divvying them up and making a more palatable solution. With knives, however, what are you supposed to do after your knife becomes dull? If you use it, it gives you half the normal yield when killing animals, but there is nothing to do currently besides find a new knife.

The solution I propose is that we have a one slot main inventory item (Not a toolbelt item) simply called a whetstone that allows you to take a knife at any time in the countdown to becoming dull, or being dull already, and making it pristine again.

The way I explained it in the thread originally was that each of the knives, as they begin to wear down, must have different item IDs so the game can tell if you have 2 uses left or 5. The idea behind the whetstone is that if a knife falls into any of the ideas in the countdown or if it is the ID of a dull knife, it simply be replaced with a "normal" hunting knife again.

Now this could be seen as exploitative, and honestly a whetstone can last you a long, long time as long as you aren't out rubbing it on rocks for some reason. In order to balance it, I would say that the whetstone have a set number of uses, perhaps five (5) to start with, and being worn down as you use it to sharpen the knife time and time again before finally being used up.

Sharpening a blade is a valuable skill and something that can add both to the suvivability of a person and the RP in which they are engaged if they need to sharpen their knife. It gives people the opportunity to test the edge of their knife and sharpen in during more relaxed RP sessions so they have something to do.

[spoiler=Suggestion Three: Getting the Haft]

I wasn't actually aware that hatchets could break with use, and only assumed that they could be found broken and repaired once before being used again. One thing I don't like, however, is the method in which these are fixed. Much like the knives above, there is a fix, but it shouldn't be duct tape. Taping a broken axe haft together could make it secure for a bit, but the damage is going to continue until it splinters and becomes useless.

The solution? Well we already have the nice "wood log" item in DayZRP, and we have knives. Instead of using duct tape to try to repair an already almost irreparable bit of damage, simply make a new one. Carving a new haft would make a lot more sense, and it would be easy to implement. Simply using the image of the hatchet without the axe head, though a bit crude, would allow for there to be an image already in the database that just needs a few tweaks.

This is very much a cosmetic change, as it would be another one-slot item, but it would have a more specific use than duct tape which, while I worship it as much as any southern boy, can't do everything.

[spoiler=Suggestion Four: Stoking the Fire-Hardening]

With continued practice and use of the crossbow as a lot of people know I do, I can't help but think that the arrow breakage is just a bit too high. I'm almost consistently losing about a third of the arrows I shoot, which isn't really how crossbow bolts would work, though I understand the need of creating some kind of balancing factor because crossbows are awesome and everyone should use one.

With arrow crafting also requiring feathers, which require you to scour the lands for chickens, broken arrows are even more of an inconvenience. The solution, in my mind, is simple: Fix the problem before it's a problem. Fire-hardening arrows, especially wooden ones like we have in DayZRP, is something that has gone on since we had sticks and fire.

Another option in a scroll down menu at a fire could be "Harden Arrows" which replaces an arrow with its fire-hardened equivalent, which would have a much smaller chance to break (Fire-hardened wood is as strong, if not a bit stronger, than bronze), but also carries a small chance that the arrow is destroyed in the process, either by inappropriate hardening techniques, or simply an inferior arrow catching fire.

There is still a risk, and it still requires a player to be willing to invest time into making something that is a lot more reliable instead of just picking up wooden arrows and shooting them. It also allows for the image of the steel bolts that were used before to return since they are both black and would need only minimal tweaking from a developmental standpoint.

[spoiler=Suggestion Five: ???]

Maybe a return of TOR.

Red    243

Great job Mace,

Definitely agree with all of these. If things can break, there should definitely steps you could take to prevent said item from breaking. I have been thinking about posting something similiar to this. I'm glad our minds think alike.

I hope this can be done in game.

A big +1 for me.

Maybe Tamaster can give some insight on whether or not these things are possible.

Guest Whazmeister   
Guest Whazmeister

Youre ideas are amacing (pun intended)

Mikachu    26

Purely as a response to idea one only -

each item with a limited amount of uses is actually that many items which are swapped out each time you use it. So technically we could make matchboxes with different amounts of matches in spawn. One time you might find a full 20 match box, another get unlucky and find one with only 2.

This could be pretty cool imo

Onionjack    0

Good points, especially #5 :]

Now that I've started to use crossbow only, I've noticed that arrows broke bit too easily. Soft zombie butt shouldn't brake a arrow I'd say.

Mace    10

I really actually like the idea of getting a box of matches with only a couple left in it. Better than nothing, but still would push you to try to find more. I would even say if we implemented whetstones, perhaps even if we made them permanent, since it is still a one slot item in your inventory being taken up for a maintenance item, perhaps finding blunt hunting knives or knives that are nearly blunt that would require sharpening. I would say if you could find blunt knives randomly, to make the whetstone an uncommon/rare drop and permanent, or if we don't, to make it uncommon at best and limited in uses.

Tim    0

Good ideas.

Wunsleh    10

Got another one! stabilizing the server and steady fps....

The Clown    1

Got another one! stabilizing the server and steady fps....

So much this. I freaking love this "naked" mod right now. Sure you should add some stuff here and there to make it unique, just don't overdo it again, ples.

However, I think suggestions 1-3 wouldn't be the cause for any problems and surely do make sense. Thumbs up from me.

About number four... Well. It most definitely does make sense and if somebody knows if there is an issue at hand it has to be you, since not many others use crossbows as consistently, I think.

BUT: Is it really necessary to add those mechanics to fix the problem instead of maybe just reducing the chance of arrows breaking to 20 or 10% ?

I feel like this would be one of the issues that don't really deserve as much of a detailed, elaborate solution as only a small minority would really profit from it.

Sharpening knife feature shouldn't be awfully difficult. (says the guy that has no clue on how to do it) In theory you could probably add a rock item and then an option to sharpen your knife and it would remove your blunt knife and give you a sharper one in return.

Igi    4

Really nice ideas. Can't really see a fault with any of them.

Possible addition though... I just read another thread about craftable matches and I suggested an alternative being craftable flint and steel.

There are various ways you could go about it but a quick idea off the top of my head is simply using the pickaxe to gather some stone or even actual flint, and then craft it together with some scrap metal or similar.

Personally, I have a portable flint and steel on one of my keychains and I know quite a lot of people have them so having actual ones added to the loot tables would make perfect sense too.

Igi    4

Really nice ideas. Can't really see a fault with any of them.

Possible addition though... I just read another thread about craftable matches and I suggested an alternative being craftable flint and steel.

There are various ways you could go about it but a quick idea off the top of my head is simply using the pickaxe to gather some stone or even actual flint, and then craft it together with some scrap metal or similar.

Personally, I have a portable flint and steel on one of my keychains and I know quite a lot of people have them so having actual ones added to the loot tables would make perfect sense too.

Mace    10

One of the things I used to say before matches could run out was that I didn't use matches, I had a magnesium striker with me and I'd use the back of my axe to strike it with to create a fire. Now that that's not possible though, I could see a flint and steel working nicely, but again I don't want to just suggest things that would go back to how the game used to work, since a flint and steel has something around 500 or even more uses before you have to worry about it not working.

Mace    10

One of the things I used to say before matches could run out was that I didn't use matches, I had a magnesium striker with me and I'd use the back of my axe to strike it with to create a fire. Now that that's not possible though, I could see a flint and steel working nicely, but again I don't want to just suggest things that would go back to how the game used to work, since a flint and steel has something around 500 or even more uses before you have to worry about it not working.