Server time: 2017-08-20, 04:13

Sign in to follow this  
Marth_Young

Is it better to be in a group?

Marth_Young    0

When I first joined DayzRP I wanted to join a group. Now I am rethinking my decision. I am scared to join one because, I fear that the diplomacy of the group will get me killed very easily. I don't care about loosing my gear. I care about my character dying because in my head I don't want my character to die even if he can respawn.

However, I see many benefits to being in a group. If your group is active it is easier to play with people. You can get into new RP situations compared to playing solo. You probably have some kind of vehicle to travel in.

The third option would be in a clanless group ( kinda like stateless nation ) a group that isn't official. You don't have to worry about diplomacy as long as you keep to yourself or don't say who you are when fighting. If you have a rather neutral group you can survive most robberies.

I also understand for some people on an RP standpoint it is better because it suits their character.

I am wondering is it better to be in a group or not?

Rick    19

It's all based on your play style.

I pretty much live what you described, in where I get robbed (sometimes killed) for being in BHM, considering most groups don't like us. For me, it still beats going around alone. Joining a group is a great way to meet people, and it usually given you somebody to play with, opposed to running around the map looking for people.

Having said that, plenty of people have no problem making friends without a group, and enjoy playing solo at times. Everything has it's benefits, but it boils down to what you like the most.

Oyface    309

I like playing with a group, but I don't want to be in a clan. I'm just a civilian, and I don't want to get mixed up in clan business. I've already been robbed twice and killed once, just because I was hanging out with someone from clans. Nothing to do with me.

That's why I prefer playing with a group without clan tags. Often just a couple more people.

But when I find myself alone, (which I often do,) I usually just travel and see who I run into. That's mostly how the groups are made, we're just people who met up on the road. Then we just see what happens.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

When I first joined DayzRP I wanted to join a group. Now I am rethinking my decision. I am scared to join one because, I fear that the diplomacy of the group will get me killed very easily. I don't care about loosing my gear. I care about my character dying because in my head I don't want my character to die even if he can respawn.

When i joined the PAU, i didn't think it would too bad with the diplomacy table killing me. But honestly when i was finally in the group, and settled in, everything is scary, literally, i see a guy walking at me and my heartbeat raises and freak the fuck out. Even though im out, im still hunted.

Ill tell you now, the diplomacy has forever scarred me.

Smith    1

It all depends on your mood, and how you like to play.

Personally, I prefer being in a group. It's more fun to bounce your RP off other people, and to be with them in situations, no matter what happens.

Being alone... well, it's lonely. Sure, you could be roleplaying as a loner but personally, I enjoy being social. So if I ever hear a vehicle or voices, i'm more likely to check them out (as long as they're not wearing a red beret).

Well, if you want all the swag in the world join a clan.

but anyways, its your decision. Build your character up first before joining a group. That's what I did

Major Tom    78

When i joined the PAU, i didn't think it would too bad with the diplomacy table killing me. But honestly when i was finally in the group, and settled in, everything is scary, literally, i see a guy walking at me and my heartbeat raises and freak the fuck out. Even though im out, im still hunted.

Ill tell you now, the diplomacy has forever scarred me.

Extremely true. I was a newspawn on the coast today with nothing to my name other than a bandage. I ran across another newspawn and he started acting suspicious, saying he had a friend in the area he was waiting for. Sure enough, his friend had a gun and was getting nearer. I just got out of there, because I was sure they recognised my voice.

Being in a clan can really make you a target no matter what you have on you, but that's part of the thrill.

Marth_Young    0

Another thing I worry about is group stability. In the last month, I have seen so many clans disappear. The one I wanted to join at first (R.S.C) is slowly fading away right now.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

Newer groups(the ones in group idea, or the ones who just got accepted) won't fade away as fast as an inactive group(i,e RSC).

Being in a group, I would advise following the GROUPS backstory with your character.

For example, if you were like Vittoria and joined PAU(Ukraine rebellion group) you would make a Ukrainian character, to make the RP a little easier and understandable.

I would always advise before joining a group, poke them on TS and ask "Mind if I run with you guys before applying"

Best bet would be to meet the people by mistake first. Just bump into them randomly(don't schedule a meet up), roleplay with them for a bit. See how they RP. Do they just sit silently while one person does all the talking? Do they not talk much at all, busy in TS? Do they actually seem immersed in RPing?

Now don't be "Oh they robbed me, they must be a horrible group"

IC is IC, and OOC is OOC. If the RP was good, you liked the overall attitude, etc. Then poke them, ask to run with them IG.

TL;DR: Meet the group IG, see how they are, before even trying to join them.

-snip

-snip-

Extremely true. I was a newspawn on the coast today with nothing to my name other than a bandage. I ran across another newspawn and he started acting suspicious, saying he had a friend in the area he was waiting for. Sure enough, his friend had a gun and was getting nearer. I just got out of there, because I was sure they recognised my voice.

Being in a clan can really make you a target no matter what you have on you, but that's part of the thrill.

Also, what Tom said.

But a lot of the time(at least for most groups I've been in), you typically have friends in the group who will watch your back IG. Your clan-mates will help defend you.

Back in PAU, the second someone joined, I would always tell them, "a lot of people want you dead, specifically Russians, just stay together, don't be seen alone, and you'll be fine" And that was true. The odds of two-three people initiation on a group of six, is not common(at least smart)(then again, i've done it before and came out as the winner so, it's just a matter of location and who gets the drop on who).

There's no definitive answer either way. To be honest, I've had equally thrilling and amazing roleplay encounters while being in a clan and while being clanless.

It's all personal preference really. I find that generally the most immersive roleplay experiences I had was while clanless. The reason why is because you're in a TS channel alone and you can just focus on RP'ing in-game. I'd say to savour that experience for as long as you can because it only comes around once. When you're clanless, there are no prejudices against you and it's the one time where you'll be judged on that first impression and I thrive upon that.

After playing in a clan for so long and enjoying the roleplay experiences with them, it's difficult to go back to just wandering alone, it can get pretty boring pretty fast. I've always been sure to have new and interesting characters all the time that I enjoy playing that can provide a different RP experience every time.

Towards the end of my clan, the 'Imperial Dragons' playing here, we found that it became a constant initiation-fest. The enjoyment was sapped out of the game because of the constant attempts of one-upmanship every time we logged from other clans. That's the biggest problem with clans, the lack of humility and you'll find that it's rife in this community once you join a clan.

At the end of the day, do what you feel is right. There's no right or wrong way to play DayZRP and as long as you're having fun, regardless of whether you're solo or in a clan, that's all that matters.

Red    139

Like some have already said, it depends entirely on your playstyle.

Perks and Flaws of being alone:

+ stealth

+ absolute freedom to pursue whatever you'd like.

- sometimes harder to find RP

- being alone

- harder to defend yourself

Perks and Flaws of groups:

+ strength in numbers

+ social, more RP

+ Easier to sustain yourself food/drinks wise

- Bigger target

- Actions of others might affect you too.

These are just few things out of the top of my head.

Guest LoneLion   
Guest LoneLion

Well I am still having my first real playthrough on this Server today and already had some funny rp experiences but today I decided to head up to north west airfield and get some real gear. So traveling with next to nothing from Balota to there was tough enough but was I got to the road leaving NWA a red vehicle which is the only vehicle i have seen since I started play rolls up and out jump 5 men with red/maroon berets all pointing rifles at me.

Now at that point I had no idea what would happen as I aimed my pistol at their frontman. Asking me to lower the pistol etc. He asked where I was going etc and when i explained I was just heading to NWA he tells me no. Takes my identification etc. Once he learned who i was. i was kept alive not robbed or antyhing but denied access to the airfiled. Not sure if the situation would of been different if I was apart of a group but strong chance is that it would of been.

Didn't stop me sneaking around to get into NWA but those dudes knew I was just a forrest dweller and I keep to myself. Experience with clans seem to go better for loners then actual clan members cause of the fact your not affiliated with any of them therefore they don't hold grudges. But it really depend son the group if they still want to rob you.

One of the things I love about being in a clan is that if you can meet a bunch of great people and sometimes I enjoy just sitting in TS talking to them, it also means that if you do get into a situation where someone has hostilities with you because of you clan then your normally have a good group of friends to back you. So one option for you could be to join a group on a second character that you make with the purpose of joining the group to try out the experience and keep your current character as a lone wolf meaning that you can try out what its like to be in a clan whilst keeping your main character alive. Being in a clan is great fun but its definitely not for everyone and if you do want to join a clan pick one that suits your play style and particularly one that doesn't have many enemy's.

Mr Bobby    0

I think it really depends on how you like playing. I've played in clans for a long time now but I'm thinking of taking a small break for a while. When you are in a clan you need to stick to the rules of the clan so you may get more RP experiences but you will need to RP in a way that suits the clan. As a civ you can RP anyway you want and change the way you RP. The main thing about a clan though is you meet people in the community. Through clans you are forced to talk to other DayzRP members on a daily basis getting you to know them. What I would say is if you are new to the community its a great help to join a clan, it lets you meet veterans who have been playing for years and you learn a lot of things about the game you may otherwise not know.

I think it really depends, all I know is that it's not for everyone. I've been in various large groups/clans for most of my online gaming experience dating back from Halo CE, so it's the norm for me, although nowadays I prefer a more solitary experience. In the end both playstyles have good and bad aspects and I can't honestly say which is best for you, you'll simply have to play and find out. If you're going to join a group, I will advise finding the right group for you.