Server time: 2017-08-19, 09:27

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jack Bauer

"Famous" people

Question

Guest Jack Bauer   
Guest Jack Bauer

I noticed something similar to this in the FAQ section of the site. Does that apply for people from well know games and tv shows?

20 answers to this question

Both.

I mean, yes, all people who are famous in any way.

Yes, you're not allowed to have an IGN of a famous person from any video game/movie/TV Series (Or show).

Guest Jack Bauer   
Guest Jack Bauer

Oddly my name is jack Bauer irl and I googled myself and found out that jack Bauer is some cop in an old tv show from like 2001

Guest The Reverend   
Guest The Reverend

Oddly my name is jack Bauer irl and I googled myself and found out that jack Bauer is some cop in an old tv show from like 2001

Tum tum...

naury42    0

its ur real name, and I think hes not that famous that someone would bother.

try Bear Grylls, you will be amazed.. xD

What we're really referring to hear as "famous names" are names that are obvious not yours and taken from someone who is famous. Will we notice that your name is from a 2001 cop movie? Probably not, we'll assume it's your name and the character you play as. Famous is now, like say if I were to change my name to Aiden Pierce (Main character of Watch_Dogs) because I obviously had the idea that it's a pretty cool name, or that I even wanted to Roleplay as him. (Stuff like this has happened before, I've heard of some dude roleplaying as Bane from Batman. 0.o)

I'm solving, but leaving open for discussion.

2001 cop movie

The character is from a TV series that started in 2001 and has been going for 13 years. I'd say that's pretty now.

EDIT:

The difference between a movie created way back then and a TV show still ongoing and fairly famous is a big difference, we'd notice if it was from a TV show that still goes on. I was just using my quote as an example, all of this talk of cop movies it was the first thing that came off my head!

Guest The Reverend   
Guest The Reverend

Well, if someone like Leonardo DiCaprio was to join, would he be able to RP himself?

Mace    10

From the perspective of what is right? No, fuck off if you don't want to follow the rules.

From the perspective of this being a server and knowing what kind of negative publicity would happen should something like that go on? He'd probably be allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted.

Well, if someone like Leonardo DiCaprio was to join, would he be able to RP himself?

Of coarse not, who in the world now a days has a name like that, and what are the chances of that person playing on DayZRP to play as himself? Point is this, if it's obviously a famous name, don't play it, if it isn't obvious and is actually a real name, then have at it.

Rick    19

I don't think that really matters, seeing as it won't happen. The point of the rule is so that everybody creates a unique character anyways.

Major Tom    78

Though I think you're allowed to model your characters on famous people as long as they aren't identical. I remember some guy could pull off a Morgan Freeman voice really well but was not allowed the RP name. I think staff said it was okay as long as he changed the name to like, Martin Froman or just something a bit varied from the actual celebrity name.

Well technically a name is just a name. For example, I play a character named Victor Cruz. The name Victor Cruz also seems to be a famous athlete for American Football or something.(I didn't know about it till 3 months later) I haven't gotten a single complaint about it luckily. But just make sure you don't pick something outrageous. Have fun. :)

Thank fuck.. didnt even know about this rule.. no more Rick Grimes and Daryl Dixon :') Our lord and saviours

SatansNightOut    105

I made Amy Strange before I joined DayZRP. Then I Googled Amy Strange and found out she's a really small-time actress....

But come on. :P

I don't think that really matters, seeing as it won't happen. The point of the rule is so that everybody creates a unique character anyways.

Hey Leonardo DiCaprio here guys, is it alright if I RP as myself?

I personally believe it only becomes a problem if you are Roleplaying that famous person.

I mean for example what stopping me playing a white man who works in an office called Morgan Freeman as long as i dont actually play as the real Morgan Freeman I dont see the problem its entirely possible that there is more than one Morgan Freeman on the planet then again i can see the point people make on the names Leonardo DiCaprio is not exactly a common name is it and isnt as believable.

I think its just down to common sense really "Jack Bauer" Now i had a kid in school with me with a very similar name so yeah totally believable.