Server time: 2017-08-16, 23:53

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phalix

Question on power gaming

Question

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

Of you have someone sitting infront of you as a hostage, or taped to the ground, is it powergaming if you go * hits/ kicks man in the [insert body part]*

I know you can't like, carve things into people and such, but hitting or kicking while they are your hostage?

18 answers to this question

Guest johnygt7   
Guest johnygt7

i think you can do that if they are your hostages

Masulii    24

I think that this is acceptable, just like johnygt7 said. And like you said about carving.

It is a good interrogation technique.

*kicks the man to the leg* WHERE THE FUCK IS YOUR STASH!

Mush    2

Me personally, I believe you can do that, yes. At times, it really adds to the feel of the roleplay, and can be used brilliantly in some scenarios. I've experienced everything you've listed there, was I against someone carving something into my arm? No. Because it added a lot to the scenario and also my character as a whole.

If you're ever unsure, ask OOC. For example, you're in-game and you think I want to burn this guy on his hand, but you're unsure on how he will react, so you can say:

Anastasia Borivich: //Do you mind if I burn your character?

Something as simple as this can open a lot of gateways in terms of roleplay between you and your hostage. Try and explore new ways to torture and interrogate, just make sure you abide by the rules and if you're unsure, ask the person OOC. :thumbsup:

Glenn    10

If the person is overpowered like the person is on the ground tied up or sitting or just surrounded by people who have taken him hostage it is possible to power game.

I always do it like this way.

When the person is powerless which the person almost can not block or stop i will type:

*attempts to hit the person on the head*

That person has to give a respond.

It is not really powergaming anymore imo when you type Attempt in front of the sentence.

It all depends on the situation.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

But is having someone hostage, and going *punches the man in the nose before standing up* powergaming?

Do you have to add *attempts to punch...* even of the person is a hostage.

I know permanent damage(cutting, burning, etc.) is in need of OOC agreement.

I just need the small things(scratches, punches, kicks, etc.)

If they are under your control (E.g. Hostage) then it is okay to punch, kick, smack him/her.

What you shouldn't do without their permission is carve, cut, dismember (fingers/toes). Pretty much don't do anything that can leave long lasting effects to the person without their permission.

To be honest if there in a position where they cant resist (tied up) as long as its not something really stupid you should be able to do anything to them since they cant really stop you due to them being tied up.

its a little different if they can resist then you just put attempts before anything and you should be fine

Phatal    46

Technically, it's acceptable (I have asked due to my character) To cut someone without there permission as long as you add something along the lines of *Lilia cuts into (Generic name)'s back, deep enough to draw blood, but not enough to leave a scar, she drags it long and far down his back* As long as you state it wont leave a long lasting effect and its reasonable, obviously burning someone is going to leave a mark same with cutting someone's toes off or hitting them with a car etc etc, it is acceptable.

Edit: I just wish torturing actually did something, seeing as all the person getting tortured has to say is "I dont know I swear" When you are burning them, even though you know they are part of a group or hiding something etc. etc. Everyone, every character breaks unless you are fucking made of Iron without a heart or conscience.

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

That's what I figured. I didn't want to get reported for powergaming because a kicked or punched someone who was tied up.

Go ahead and mark as solved, let it stay open for discussion though.

That's what I figured. I didn't want to get reported for powergaming because a kicked or punched someone who was tied up.

Go ahead and mark as solved, let it stay open for discussion though.

That is perfectly acceptable :)

/Solved

Mace    10

Well, the whole thing about powergaming and godmodding are kind of sore points to me because they mean different things or are taken to different extremes depending on the community or the medium of the game you play.

I, personally, unless I'm role-playing with friends or I ask permission OOCly, try not to emote actually doing something to someone else that may have a negative impact. I may pat someone on the shoulder or something like that, but that is as far as definitive actions go for me if I don't know the person.

It's a background thing, and I don't think you should word it quite like that. It gives you a chance to make it a bit more descriptive when you say something like "x pulled back his leg and swung it forward, trying to send the steel-capped toe of his boot directly into y's stomach."

Now this also puts responsibility on the person who is receiving the action, because obviously if they are taped up or shackled or tied up, whatever incapacitating status it might be, they can't suddenly do a triple backflip to avoid the kick, that falls under godmodding. It gives the person a chance, however, to emote out if they want the kick to hit a different way, like if they try to turn to protect their stomach, only to have the foot crack one of their ribs.

In this community, it's fine, but it's a personal pet peeve of mine and it's something I still do to this day which annoys me when I try to do something and inadvertently word it as some action that is written in stone. Those are my two cents though and I thought people may want to hear about the inclusion of an attempt in an action even if it is just for the purpose of spicing up the RP and getting a bit more description out of both parties for a better experience overall.

Sin    113

I just wish torturing actually did something, seeing as all the person getting tortured has to say is "I dont know I swear" When you are burning them, even though you know they are part of a group or hiding something etc. etc. Everyone, every character breaks unless you are fucking made of Iron without a heart or conscience.

Why? Torture isn't effective in real life either. Only on TV and in movies. Most 'intelligence' gleaned from torture techniques in real life turns out to be false.

Vesper    0

What mace said pretty much sums it up. Open up the action for them to do a counter action unless you have OOC permission.

A good example would be last night. Me and a guy caught up with Amin in game, an ex B-17 member. We ended up branding him but because we had OOC permission, I didn't even bother to type "attempts" or anything of the nature because the encounter was already planned out so to speak. It really depends on what the situation calls for but the safest bet would be to give them a chance to block or to simply put their own touch on it.

Phatal    46

I just wish torturing actually did something, seeing as all the person getting tortured has to say is "I dont know I swear" When you are burning them, even though you know they are part of a group or hiding something etc. etc. Everyone, every character breaks unless you are fucking made of Iron without a heart or conscience.

Why? Torture isn't effective in real life either. Only on TV and in movies. Most 'intelligence' gleaned from torture techniques in real life turns out to be false.

Do you have any proof to back this up Sin? Water boarding is a pretty effective means of interrogation and most of that information is True.

These actions can really add to RP, but only if the other party plays their part as well. Too many times have I seen people completely disregard being shot in the leg, kicked, cut, and they downplay it so badly. I like people to show pain, and this is definitely a good way to see what sort of RP you can expect from your hostage.

Burgz    6

most of that information is True.

How do you know? How does anyone know?

Sin    113
Mace    10

Hell, the whole "Torture is a bad way to extract information" thing is becoming such common knowledge it's a trope in things like Burn Notice where it was brought up multiple times. Even It's Always Sunny makes a joke about it, when Frank waterboards Dee with a urinal and says "I got her to confess to shit she's never even done!"

Torture, the inflicting of physical pain, makes a person want it to stop. They don't care HOW it stops, or even for how long it stops when it becomes bad enough, only that there is some respite. This goes back to medieval torture and interrogation techniques. A lot of things like the Rack, which everyone knows about, was used as a method of extracting answers only because the people who were being tortured knew if they said what the interrogator wanted, they would feel some kind of respite, and there comes a point where even death is better than continued pain. That bit is shown in innumerable movies and television where people ask others to kill them because they can't go on with pain, be it from war or even terminal illness.

Humans are weak things, very delicately balanced, and ultimately fragile no matter how hard you try to build up and secure the body and the mind. True interrogation works off of psychological manipulation of the victim, as well as the control and manipulation of information, and I've pointed that out many times in the past on different threads that have cropped up. Torture is never the way to go if your character would know better. If they are uninformed or uneducated, they may think "Pain = answers" but that is an answer that is ignorant of how humans work.

Edit: And yes, if you'd prefer I can find some scholarly sources and cite them in APA or MLA to back up the statements here. :P