Server time: 2017-10-18, 07:44
Safe Zone: CLOSED

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
GreatChase91

Background story. Thoughts?

I'm a new player and still have yet to be accepted but I felt like spending some time into developing a character. I am still up to editing this story some more.

My name is James Ryan. I spent 20 years in the United States Army, I was 18 when I joined, 38 when I retired. I was a Lieutenant Colonel, I commanded my own Battalion in Afghanistan ever since the terrorists attacked the World Trade Center in 2001. Those were the worst years of my life until the infected came in. It was brutal... I remember, me and my squad were patrolling outside of one of the local towns, when all of the sudden, a bullet drops right in front of our feet. We all dropped to the ground trying to find cover. I knew it was a sniper, but I couldn't see where. Another bullet drops in front of me and I am able to see where the shots were coming from due the the direction the dirt was flying in, he was hiding on the hill somewhere, but I couldn't see where. I hear another shot but saw no dirt shot up in front of me. I looked behind me, there was my best friend, lying on the ground with blood oozing from his skull. I was filled with rage, I readied the grenade launcher on my M16 and shot all 3 shells I had on that hill. No more shots were fired after that. That event made me want to spill the blood of all the terrorist assholes in Afghanistan. And believe me, I spilled more blood than I could think of. What is worth fighting for? To protect home and family. To preserve balance and bring harmony.

After I returned home from retiring, my family was filled with happiness from seeing me the first time in what has seemed like forever. 1 year later we decided to take a family vacation to a small island named Chernarus. We stayed in a pretty cheap hotel in a town called Berezino. 1 week into our vacation is when everything started to happen. There were news reports about a new virus spreading around but we all just ignored it. We all think were invinsible, but in reality, we can be picked off as easy as an insect.

One night, I heard banging on the door to my apartment. I grabbed the 1911 in my desk and went to check out the problem. Our neighbor was bashing his face into the window of our door. His name was Felix, or atleast that's the man he used to be. I yelled at him to stop and asked what the hell he was doing, but I recieved no reply. He continued to bash his head against the window until it finally broke. He jumped through and tried to attack me and I was forced to shoot him. I turned on the radio and heard something that sent a chill down my spine. The virus was growing stronger and infecting people worldwide killing them within hours to days resulting in their corpse to be resurrected into flesh hungry beasts. I grabbed my wife, my son, and supplies to help us survive and tried to take them out of the city, some where in the woods for a while, until this virus was sorted out. Turns out everyone had the same idea. There were cars down the road beyond the eye could see. One of those infected smashed against the window of the car door and startled us. I drove into an alley way and out the back where a car came and hit me on the side resulting the death of my wife and son. I failed to protect them. I got out of my car, grabbed all the supplies I needed and ran for the wilderness.

1 year later, I just wander the streets alone scavenging for scraps of food I may come across to help me survive. I ask myself every night, why do I even try? Why do I even want to stay alive? I have no family, no nothing to keep me going. But no, my family would not want me to give up and I have to remember, I must try my hardest for them. I did not give up during the war and I will not back down now. Maybe someday I will find a group, a community, or even a friend to keep me happy. Maybe someday...

Guest Phalix   
Guest Phalix

Better than most whitelist app stories.

Not "I'm special forces and my helo crashed"

+1

Guest The Reverend   
Guest The Reverend

+1 Good one! Loved it, just when you are applying, make it look neat *hint hint*

Rifleman    14

Good read, just split it up into paragraphs on your whitelist app in order to make it look a lot less like a wall of text. Other than that, the story is well written and your character already has some clear flaws and doesn't look like a 'unbreakable super soldier'.

Good story and has a lot of potential.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually did have it split into paragraphs but for some reason, the tab spacing didn't work.

Edit: I just put spacing in between them to fix the problem/

Sign in to follow this