Server time: 2017-10-23, 17:07
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Guest NinjaCarnage

Recording Help

Guest NinjaCarnage   
Guest NinjaCarnage

I'm trying to record games on my PC, and that's it. I've tried Dxtory Fraps and Bandicam. With these three my fps drops and stays below 30 even though the game fps was fine before. I tried recording to an empty hard drive, which had a write speed of about 24 mb/s and usb had a write speed of 7 mb/s. On the other hand my C drive has 30+ write speed, but my games are saved there and it is filling up. I have tried just about everything and hopefully you guys can help me out! =D

Oh also I have 8 GB of RAM and a brand new graphics card so I don't think my computer is the issue.

Owen    16

Try using OBS. It is a better recording software and is easier to use. But that is up to your discretion if you wish to use it.

And I'm pretty sure you can change the rate o how it transfers to the hdd/SDD.

Red    257

Additionally you could always try shadowplay if your video card supports it. I find it having the least fps drops. Dxtory with the right codecs should not really be too heavy either. Did you follow the dxtory guide here on the forums?

Houlton    3

Try using OBS. It is a better recording software and is easier to use. But that is up to your discretion if you wish to use it.

And I'm pretty sure you can change the rate o how it transfers to the hdd/SDD.

This, I started with it recently after Husky suggested it, better than Fraps.

Plus it has a noise gate incase your microphone picks up sounds such as mouse clicks and keystrokes.

Josh    37

Shadow play 100% but if you have AMD they have a competing software that is available now too which is similar to shadowplay.

The benefit is, because the software is built into your video card there is minimal frame drop when using it.

Exile89    0

OBS is awesome! I've used it to record STALKER gameplay and found that it caused almost no FPS drop at all and the finished product looked absolutely no different from when I was playing the game. No loss of quality or frames whatsoever.

Although, to be fair, STALKER is a lot easier to run than DayZ, so expect a slight FPS drop. If you can crank out 60 FPS without recording software, OBS should drop you down to about 40 at the worst. Fraps ain't got shit on OBS. DXtory comes closer, but OBS takes the prize by far.

Valkerion    0

i can recommend OBS as it can be setup for your preferences you can change the bitrate the capture quality and size , how much CPU it actually uses and all that good stuff.

I have mine setup so i can record in 720p and take a 2fps drop and for a 30 minute video its only like 200mb because of the bitrate etc.

Its also free so you know ^_^

Daryl Dixon    0

I tried recording to an empty hard drive, which had a write speed of about 24 mb/s and usb had a write speed of 7 mb/s. On the other hand my C drive has 30+ write speed

What "empty hard drive" do you have. From my experience Dxtory works fine if you have a write speed of 70Mb/s +. The "24Mb/s" write speed you have is causing the video to stutter and not be a true representation of your gameplay. Furthermore I use the "lagarith lossless codec" which seems to help.

This is the hard drive I use :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0088PUEPK

I get 110 Mb/s write speed with this. However its only used for recording, nothing else is stored on it. I would recommend it.

Guest NinjaCarnage   
Guest NinjaCarnage

I tried recording to an empty hard drive, which had a write speed of about 24 mb/s and usb had a write speed of 7 mb/s. On the other hand my C drive has 30+ write speed

What "empty hard drive" do you have. From my experience Dxtory works fine if you have a write speed of 70Mb/s +. The "24Mb/s" write speed you have is causing the video to stutter and not be a true representation of your gameplay. Furthermore I use the "lagarith lossless codec" which seems to help.

This is the hard drive I use :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0088PUEPK

I get 110 Mb/s write speed with this. However its only used for recording, nothing else is stored on it. I would recommend it.

I have a buslink USB2.0 Hard drive completely empty like there is nothing in it.

What about your CPU? That could be the problem.

I'm wanting to believe that it isn't. I want to fix this problem with the least amount of money as possible.

Daryl Dixon    0

I have a buslink USB2.0 Hard drive completely empty like there is nothing in it.

That's probably the issue. You are recording to an external drive. USB 2.0 has quite a slow speed, I haven't tried recording with an external device but I assume USB 3.0 is smoother but I'm guessing that will still have poor performance as well.

I would recommend investing some money in any old hard drive with a 7200 RPM. That would do a great job.

kakan    0

I've always have problem with video codecs, even with a powerful machine like mine couldn't handle it for some reason. Until I switched over to Nvidia Shadowplay. and you can not record to an usb hard drive the write speed is way to low.

Guest NinjaCarnage   
Guest NinjaCarnage

That's probably the issue. You are recording to an external drive. USB 2.0 has quite a slow speed, I haven't tried recording with an external device but I assume USB 3.0 is smoother but I'm guessing that will still have poor performance as well.

I would recommend investing some money in any old hard drive with a 7200 RPM. That would do a great job.

What do you think would happen if I tried plugging in an internal drive and save everything to my cpu which has the fastest write speed of all?

Daryl Dixon    0

What do you think would happen if I tried plugging in an internal drive and save everything to my cpu which has the fastest write speed of all?

You can't save everything to a CPU, your CPU also does not have a write speed, it simply computes everything. I would recommend going to your local PC shop and ask them to install an internal hard drive (specify what hard drive you want), also explain to them that you want it for storage only.

Guest NinjaCarnage   
Guest NinjaCarnage

So a new problem arises: It turns out it wasnt the hard drive and I just have to play in a lower resolution. This causes two black bars on my screen. When i try to lower my screen's resolution to 720p like my game, the problem happens where fps drops. For now I'm going to have to have my computer at 1600x900 and my game at 1280x720 with two huge black bars. Lemme know if you guys have a fix.

Yeah just kidding nothing I tried works. =/ I guess ill never be a youtuber.

The Other    0

Sorry for hogging your thread...but how does OBS work against ARMA 2, seeing as it "hooks" in, do i have to do some additonal settings or?