Server time: 2017-10-22, 08:28
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Frisia

Warning shot for ID Testing in Firefights

Question

Frisia    8

With civies going around in firefights i came up with an idea and wanted to know if its allowed.

Okay here is the situation! SOBR and B17 have firefight at raven/Altar and B17 wears civilian clothing! Now there are a vew civies with civilian clothing going around in the area. You aim at them and dont know if they are B17 or Civilian! Would it be allowed to shoot next to them to see what responds they make? Would be attempted KOS but still you can check in the reaction if he is involved in the firefight or not.

People who would be involved will move gun up and get in cover or just straight up shoot back!

Civies who are unrelated will get confushed and just look at your direction with no gun up or anything most likely.

So would this be allowed to do cause its handy to check if an unknown target is hostile or not by warning shot.

25 answers to this question

Guest Whazmeister   
Guest Whazmeister

The way it is on other communities that I play on is that if you're not sure you can fire a warning shot. The fight must have been active at most 10 minutes ago. Firing a single warning shot next to them is then allowed. The person himself gains kos rights on the shooter, but the shooter gains kos rights on him if he does something hostile e.g. looting bodies, running for cover, pointing weapons, flanking, that kind of stuff.

Conor    254

If you shoot a warning shot at someone, they can just shoot you back. So whether they had KOS before or not, they would do now.

Frisia    8

If you shoot a warning shot at someone, they can just shoot you back. So whether they had KOS before or not, they would do now.

Think sutch situation wouldnt happen as the shot came out of nowhere and the reaction would be 'Confusion' Instead of 'Hostility'.

If they would instantly shoot back would allready knew that there was a firefight happening cause of that reaction of preperation to shoot back cause they expected it to happen and so baiting and no value for life cause they knew there was a fight and they still came there.

Major    641

Countless reports would come up.

Frisia    8

Cause of Attempted KOS? They didnt get killed if they acted with normal reaction so if countless reports would only go up if BAN EVERYONE mentallity was with that person who didnt get harmed.

Explain further please instead of making statement without explination

simiskovich    0

Easily abusable, that is all I have to say.

Explain further

What I mean, is that after a while the ones that get shot at would catch on to that, and just act innocent when fired upon.

Major    641

Cause of Attempted KOS? They didnt get killed if they acted with normal reaction so if countless reports would only go up if BAN EVERYONE mentallity was with that person who didnt get harmed.

Explain further please instead of making statement without explination

Sorry for a lack of detail. I could easily see reports coming up where people would claim that they where ID testing, but were actually just firing so they would gain automatic kos. Sorry if I misinterpreted anything.

Frisia    8

Easily abusable, that is all I have to say.

Explain further

What I mean, is that after a while the ones that get shot at would catch on to that, and just act innocent when fired upon.

That would be bad sportsman ship but one if the methods of ID'ing targets if checking if they have gun up or lowerd so! If you would do a warning shot and he will stop running you can see if he has gun up or low! If he has gun up he most likely is involved in the firefight and if not then he isnt involved!

Also distance betwene firefights is 100 to 300 and everyone is coverd by the area. if a civie suddenly would get shot at with intentention to do an ID check then if they want to misuse the KOS they still need to find out from who it came from wich is the option between SBOR and B17 and he can msot likely KOS the wrong faction and so get a ban cause for misuse of KOS and No value for life for staying in a firefigth even after Warning shot ID.

Harry    18

In my opinion it should work like this:

When there are civi's around the area

when there is a fire-fight and they wont'

leave. Than you can give them one warning.

If they still stay than you should gain KOS on them

and shoot them.

I think this would solve the problem that

we currently have with civis interrupting

our fire-fights.

Preplin    0

I know how I would respond to this.

Seek cover, identify who was shooting randomly at me, return fire.

Not all "randoms" in the area will act 'confused.' Some, like Connor said, will return with hostilities rather than standing still like a deer in headlights. This could further be abusable by people using warning shots as a way to initiate hostilities to avoid RP. Overall I understand how warning shots could be useful, I just don't see it going well.

Red    253

I could only imagine people automatically raising their weapon because you just shot at them.. So that would automatically make them suspicious :P

Thumper    0

Warning shots are a bad idea for mainly two reasons:

One: You give whoever you just shot at full KOS rights. If they weren't hostile, they are now, and no, it wouldn't be bad RP.

Two: You give give away your position mid firefight. If your foe didn't know where you were, they do now, along with whoever you just gave KOS rights to by firing a warning shot.

If in doubt, watch them, initiate, tell them to go away. Thats better RP than firing on everyone moving in the area. If you can't ID, dont fire. Move, and watch.

Frisia    8

Not all "randoms" in the area will act 'confused.' Some, like Connor said, will return with hostilities rather than standing still like a deer in headlights. This could further be abusable by people using warning shots as a way to initiate hostilities to avoid RP. Overall I understand how warning shots could be useful, I just don't see it going well.

What if its a mis fire and you KOS the person who made the misfire?

One: You give whoever you just shot at full KOS rights. If they weren't hostile, they are now, and no, it wouldn't be bad RP.

Two: You give give away your position mid firefight. If your foe didn't know where you were, they do now, along with whoever you just gave KOS rights to by firing a warning shot.

If in doubt, watch them, initiate, tell them to go away. Thats better RP than firing on everyone moving in the area. If you can't ID, dont fire. Move, and watch.

What advice would you give when the person is more then 50 meters away (Out of initiation range) and looks like the enemy? (related skin or color)

Thumper    0

What advice would you give when the person is more then 50 meters away (Out of initiation range) and looks like the enemy? (related skin or color)

You are always safe to reinitiate. If they do anything funny, pop a cap.

Frisia    8

Still you got people like Preplin who do funny stuff and so you got a KOS report on your ass.

Thumper    0

Still you got people like Preplin who do funny stuff and so you got a KOS report on your ass.

They you are covered because you initiated. I was rolling with some unclanned people. We got into a firefight with B-17 and since we didn't share KOS, nor could we always ID them, we initiated on every single one of them we saw.

Not only did it cover our asses where rules, and reports go, it provided some rather, stressful RP for all parties.

Frisia    8

They you are covered because you initiated. I was rolling with some unclanned people. We got into a firefight with B-17 and since we didn't share KOS, nor could we always ID them, we initiated on every single one of them we saw.

Not only did it cover our asses where rules, and reports go, it provided some rather, stressful RP for all parties.

Ah so in doubt go up to them and make contact! By intiation or simply stating its a firefight zone you have to leave now!

Preplin    0

Thats the whole "identify" part. If after I was in cover they continued to fire, I would engage. Anyways, as the rules stand now, if someone shoots at you, you gain KOS and can retaliate. We're suppose to RP how real people would respond. If you shoot at me, I shoot back. As I believe this is allowed in the rule and thats how I'd act. But thats me though, I bet some people would have a confused response to a warning shot, so in some cases it could work like you outlined

Preplin    0

Also how is it "funny stuff" I'm responding to unknown hostiles shooting at me? It's only logical to respond with force of action. It's how I've personally been trained, it's how my characters been trained, and its within the Rules regarding to KOS (I believe, could very well be wrong and misinterpreted it)

Rampage    0

As Thumper and others have stated, firing warning shots is never a good idea. It immediately grants KOS rights against you. The rules are perfectly clear that if you are not 100% sure dont fire at all. Its always best to reinitiate if you are unsure.

Solving, but feel free to discuss and continue to share ideas

Guest Whazmeister   
Guest Whazmeister

As Thumper and others have stated, firing warning shots is never a good idea. It immediately grants KOS rights against you. The rules are perfectly clear that if you are not 100% sure dont fire at all. Its always best to reinitiate if you are unsure.

Solving, but feel free to discuss and continue to share ideas

Of course it grands kos. The idea is however that if the shooter can proof the firefight was active in the past xx minutes, he can fire a warning shot to people wandering into a firefight area. That civ should then turn around, keep his gun lowered and calmly walkback.