Sign in to follow this  
Shanoby

Floating ingame name tag.

Would you like this to be added?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this to be added?

Shanoby    63

1355339708_dayz-2.jpg

So I was watching an Arma 2 video and remember that this game has those floating names when you look towards someone. I would like it to be added back.

Make it so in close range 2-3 meters the name pops up. EDIT: or make it 1meter

Positive

*You can now identify people easier.(you run with friends all have covered faces and same skin for example, an old friend/person you know and you meet but has different looks, people trolling/breaking NLR or if skin does not show XML)

Negative

Metagaming. But then I could argue why we have players list or our names/tags shown in text chat.

I guess it would increase metagaming but that is something that people shouldn't do anyway.

Give it some thought and tell me what you think?

DinoB    20

Metagaming would be over the roof if this was added. -1 from me

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

No. -1

People will be like WHAT BUSH IS HE IN?

I Don't know, look for the tag *sees tag in bush to NW*

*Fires entire PKM mag into bush*

See where im going with this?

The reason im also saying this is because i don't think devs can change the range.

Rick    19

Identifying people is necasery and part of the realism feel. It should not be outed just because it creates less reports

Shanoby    63
So I was watching an Arma 2 video and remember that this game has those floating names when you look towards someone. I would like it to be added back.

Make it so in close range 2-3 meters the name pops up.

Did you read that part?

Carved_    7

Guys. have you read the post?

"Make it so in close range 2-3 meters the name pops up."

if you look directly at someone from 3 meters you probably see them...

before you give a minus, read the thread. its not that long.

+1 from me. it makes it easier to identify people that you might know for a year now.

It alays felt weird beeing around people you know, and dont know if its them actually.

Murdercool    29

No it makes metagaming even easier... -1

Husky    0

Guys. have you read the post?

"Make it so in close range 2-3 meters the name pops up."

if you look directly at someone from 3 meters you probably see them...

before you give a minus, read the thread. its not that long.

+1 from me. it makes it easier to identify people that you might know for a year now.

It alays felt weird beeing around people you know, and dont know if its them actually.

Yes I read that and my answer is still a big red no.

Guest Vittoria   
Guest Vittoria

Make it so in close range 2-3 meters the name pops up.

Did you read that part?

Did you read my post?

It doesn't matter, 2-3 meters is a huge range. If the person IS RIGHT next to crawling up behind you in a bush, you turn and its like "Yaroslav Bugyev"

and he shoots you through like 3 bushes...

Yuval    2

This will make metagaming a MAJOR issue, so this has all my nopes.

About the ID targets, maybe ID them by checking their face and how it looks, if you can recognize by skin or mask.

The worse i'd agree to is a tag as friendly, which until tagged you won't show a name.

Shanoby    63
Did you read my post?

It doesn't matter, 2-3 meters is a huge range. If the person IS RIGHT next to crawling up behind you in a bush, you turn and its like "Yaroslav Bugyev"

Oh, you mean in CQB senarious... I get now what you mean.

At first I though how is 2 -3 meters huge...

Well make it 1m then. You have to be face to face.

Mr Gingee    2

Did you read my post?

But if I am face to face with someone, I am probably going to ask them for there name.

Shanoby    63

Did you read my post?

But if I am face to face with someone, I am probably going to ask them for there name.

Yeah. But if he just says the name and not clan he is from and skin does not show XML , you wouldn't have to ask that stupid ID.

Glenn    10

Yeah. But if he just says the name and not clan he is from and skin does not show XML , you wouldn't have to ask that stupid ID.

That makes no sense.

You will remove a lot of RP because you don't have to figure out what the name or clan is from a person.

That will drop the RP with already 20%

Also boosting up the metagaming.

Like been said before seeing the name tags in the bushes when getting close.

Also seeing a name is just weird because you know the name already and how are you going to talk to that person?

You see the name, know it already and then ask for it again???

Shanoby    63

I wish there was another solution. Maybe then something like it would show only your clan/group mate names?

I just recall many times when we have new people joining or old guys changing skins, I just cant handle. Don't remember all the names and sometimes confuse who is who if they have similar looks.

Husky    0

I'm sorry Dr. Klein but I really don't see how this would be good for anyone, surely asking for someones ID would be better than their name just popping up on their screen?

To me this is what makes the RP exciting, because I don't know who i'm dealing with, I don't want to go up to someone who may be in disguise let's say someone from your enemy clan is dressed like they wouldn't be usually, you instantly gain the knowledge of who he is because you can see his name and deny him the element of surprise, and don't tell me you wouldn't start preparing yourself for an initiation because I'm sure everyone would the second they see who they're dealing with.

Shanoby    63

That makes no sense.

You will remove a lot of RP because you don't have to figure out what the name or clan is from a person.

Also seeing a name is just weird because you know the name already and how are you going to talk to that person?

Well yes, I agree with most you said but the clan thing, we should not figure out. The badge/XML we all have to pretend is there anyway if it does not show.

I'm sorry Dr. Klein but I really don't see how this would be good for anyone, surely asking for someones ID would be better than their name just popping up on their screen?

To me this is what makes the RP exciting, because I don't know who i'm dealing with, I don't want to go up to someone who may be in disguise let's say someone from your enemy clan is dressed like they wouldn't be usually, you instantly gain the knowledge of who he is because you can see his name and deny him the element of surprise, and don't tell me you wouldn't start preparing yourself for an initiation because I'm sure everyone would the second they see who they're dealing with.

But could it be so we could see our own clanmates names and maybe for others only the XML to popup in close range like 1-2 meteres? would that be ok?

Husky    0

That makes no sense.

Well yes, I agree with most you said but the clan thing, we should not figure out. The badge/XML we all have to pretend is there anyway if it does not show.

But could it be so we could see our own clanmates names and maybe for others the XML to popup in close range like 1-2 meteres? would that be ok?

Why though?

Normally if you run around with your clan mates you know where they are don't you?

Shanoby    63
Why though?

Normally if you run around with your clan mates you know where they are don't you?

Like I said, if you have new people joining the group or they have similar looks it is awkward to ask wait which one is which(IC)?

And what do you think if we could see only other peoples XML without name in close range of 1 meter?

Mush    2

Me personally, I prefer the real approach, communicating. That should be the only way to find out names, locations/positions and other information.

-1 from me, can't see this being added either due to the nature of it. This is an roleplaying mod and that feature is probably designed to be used in PVP situations. Yes, we have a lot of those, but we should have names popping up for people.

As for the positives you've listed... I can see where this would be useful, but I can't think of one instance that we haven't been able to cover with the tools currently available.

As I said, -1.

Husky    0

Why though?

Like I said, if you have new people joining the group or they have similar looks it is awkward to ask wait which one is which(IC)?

And what do you think if we could see only other peoples XML without name in close range of 1 meter?

That's what the XML patch on their arm is for.

As for people being new in the clan we all have that "problem" Simply just say in-game: "Chris! (Example) where are you?!"