122 members have voted

1. 1. Add R3F Realism?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (explain)

Mikachu    26

Weight in DayZRP

Thanks to Chappers backpacks with LMGs thread

Recently a discussion arose about possibly changing how LMGs and backpacks worked in DayZRP. As part of this the mod R3F Realism was mentioned and seemed to gain some traction.

Personally I would love to implement this into DayZRP as it would add another layer of depth into looting and scavenging as well as some great possible RP benefits.

What does R3F Realism do?

R3F Realism is a script which attempts to convey weight limits and tiredness into ARMA. In real life people would not be able to carry two LMGs, a ton of ammo and sprint for 5km, they would be far too tired and weigh too much to move so quickly. This mod aims to simulate this in DayZRP - to a degree.

It achieves this in two ways -

1. Every single item you carry has it's own weight value attached to it. The system then calculates the total of these to give you your current weight. Each player will have a weight limit, the closer you are to this limit the slower you are forced to move until eventually you go over the limit and are forced to either crawl, or walk with frequent stops.

2. The amount of weight you carry makes you tired faster, as does sprinting, climbing inclines or doing anything else which uses a lot of energy. Being tired manifests itself in two ways. First of all the more tired you are the more you shake. Your aim will be worse and you will find it harder to see. Secondly once you start getting really tired you start to blackout, eventually resulting in passing out completely for a few moments.

Positives of adding weight

- It will add a new dynamic to looting, no longer will you grab everything you can.

- It will make PVP slightly more difficult and fun

- It will stop gear whoring a little as you can't just pick up a big gun in a firefight without consequences

- It will provide new RP opportunities where people have to share weight, or find someone passing out from being tired etc

- It will help vehicles function as they should, as transport

Negatives of adding weight

- It will likely require a short period of balancing where it may be a little broken at first

- People will moan about being too weak

- You can't carry everything all at once anymore

- Solo players may have a worse time of it than clans

In conclusion I love the idea but it is a BIG change, so we want everyone's opinions on this. Please vote on the poll but also comment here explaining why you voted or any concerns or such you may have. Thank you for reading and enjoy :redpanda:

Yuval    2

YESS!!!!!

Less drop weps for *insert stupid RP reason here* clans carrying a PKP/SVD combos basically being PVP gods, if they want to do so great, but they will be unable to run, or will be outrun by lighter people. Its a small way of balancing the current PVP habits of DayzRP, where each guy carries a shitton of guns and ammo.

Red    243

Voted yes for the positives that you have listed in your OP.

It will give a more realistic feel to the server. I can see people getting a certain function within a group again.

Owen    14

This will add a whole new aspect into the game now. Shall be very interesting indeed.

Moxy    19

Well this was an obvious Yes from me; It's more realistic, and will force people to work together to carry really heavy things such as Rotor Assembly's, engine blocks etc.. and we will see more human interaction since people cannot simply rob someone and carry all of their things.

Mikachu    26

People voting yes + no please post your reasoning if possible :) Will help us understand what people want and don't want

Cjbustuup    1

I think this would be a good idea as long as we can still carry a standard rifle and run for a while without becoming too tired.

Mikachu    26

Is the script run client side and is it affecting the server?

It has no effect on performance whatsoever :)

it's all run via the mission/server file

(tested in Epoch, personal dayz vanilla server and personal RP mod server)

Valkerion    0

More realism

Less loot whoring

Focus on teamwork and specific loot pickups

As far as im aware if you carry very little anyway this will basically have no effect on you it only becomes a problem when you go over a certain amount of weight

Rolle    2939

Is the script run client side and is it affecting the server?

It has no effect on performance whatsoever :)

it's all run via the mission/server file

(tested in Epoch, personal dayz vanilla server and personal RP mod server)

Alright.

imok.png

Helix    40

while i do like the added realism and role play this would provide i honestly would not like to see this added as i feel it would be taking the game that little bit too far and making it harder for the solo player. aswell as being a pure annoyance to travel around without a vehicle especially for those that wish to pick up valuable things in order to trade them off at the TP or other settlements/PCB's around the map.

Mikachu    26

while i do like the added realism and role play this would provide i honestly would not like to see this added as i feel it would be taking the game that little bit too far and making it harder for the solo player. aswell as being a pure annoyance to travel around without a vehicle especially for those that wish to pick up valuable things in order to trade them off at the TP or other settlements/PCB's around the map.

I should point out it is SUPER customizable. As I said as one of the negatives, it may take a few days to get the balance perfect but we can change the weight of anything we like, change the max weight, change how long till you get tired... etc etc

The issue is if you want it at all or just don't want it cos it might be too much, since we can edit that :)

Mikachu    26

-stuffs-

Does this come with a counter/monitor in the gear menu that tells you how much weight you are carrying?

It does but I think the 1.8.2 gear menu blocks it :D

We'd just make it display on the HUD instead, some sort of icon or number like with blood/hunger/thirst etc :)

Valkerion    0

We'd just make it display on the HUD instead, some sort of icon or number like with blood/hunger/thirst etc :)

As long as there is some way to track it i dont see a problem

most people will still be able to have a weapon with enough mags ,a sidearm and and a backpack full of foods and stuff before they go anywhere near the weight limit

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

I voted yes as I love it.

My only issue is that I've seen this system in two mods, Epoch and ACE. While I dont know if they're using the same addition as the one on this thread, the whole "carrying too much/you're tired let's randomly pass out without any warnings" system is BAD, especially with our super zombies.

Other than that, I can't see anything else been bad, considering we can balance it, and make it work

Mikachu    26

As long as there is some way to track it i dont see a problem

most people will still be able to have a weapon with enough mags ,a sidearm and and a backpack full of foods and stuff before they go anywhere near the weight limit

For sure, it isn't like everyone will suddenly have the strength of a 10 year old :) I reckon a grown adult after 2 years surviving could easily carry a big backpack, a rifle, a pistol, a melee weapon, 2 food, 2 drink, some meds, most of the tool belt and MAYBE another weapon/melee

I voted yes as I love it.

My only issue is that I've seen this system in two mods, Epoch and ACE. While I dont know if they're using the same addition as the one on this thread, the whole "carrying too much/you're tired let's randomly pass out without any warnings" system is BAD, especially with our super zombies.

Other than that, I can't see anything else been bad, considering we can balance it, and make it work

It's the same as Epoch but ideally we wouldn't turn off the warnings as much as they have. You will be able to tell easily when you are getting far too tired

Polaroid    2

While I'm all for this to be added for realism, I can't help but feel my character is going to be compromised somewhat. In game I am a mechanic and I carry what I can in terms of vehicular parts; if this was to be added then I will find myself with a bit of a problem as there will be no way I could carry 2 wheels, an engine and a couple of windscreens without tiring out.

That said, I'm happy to try and figure a way around it. I vote Yes.

Murdercool    29

I would love this, the games to easy we need this to make it harder! :D

Tim    0

Good idea. But is there a possibility to improve this script for different kind of characters?. Maybe a soldier can carry more stuff as a normal survivor who isn´t in an military organisation.

The reason is, he is trained to run with full gear.