Server time: 2017-08-18, 10:54

Sign in to follow this  
Laurence Taylor

Suicide?

Question

Laurence Taylor    3

Is there any rule against committing suicide to get a more preferable spawn location?

30 answers to this question

Laurence Taylor    3

no value for life is taken into account i think.

Hmmm, i would of though NVFL would only be a problem if you were actually RP'ing with someone, e.g jumping off a building when other people are present.

but spawning in elektro for example and killing yourself doesn't really effect anyones RP?

Samaritan    250

I believe that killing yourself to get a better spawn would be against the rules to be honest. (Correct me if I'm wrong). You would technically be using a loop hole which would be abusing the game mechanic to get an advantage, e.g. getting a 'better' spawn.

In game suicide should only be done for an RP reason.

Laurence Taylor    3

Why kill your self to get a better spawn...

Cause running for 4 hours is for n00bz.

pretty much this^

why run from elektro, which benefits me in no RP way at all when i can run from guglovo or green mountain and actually stand a chance of running into someone?

You are supposed to value your life here. Just run.

NVFL comes in to play in these situations, however there's a big debate about this kind of stuff going about. Personally, I believe it's fine to do so when you don't abuse it. I mean, if you wanna meet up with friends and RP, why would you run an hour or four to do so when you can spawn near them, maybe a 30 minute walk and get back to role playing, having fun.

It's only a problem when people do this to break NLR, run back in to a firefight, stuff like that. That's just my opinion though.

Also, solving but leaving open. ;)

Laurence Taylor    3

You are supposed to value your life here. Just run.

I do value my life, very much so. I also value my time, I come on here to have fun and roleplay... not to run kilometers across a map.

NVFL comes in to play in these situations, however there's a big debate about this kind of stuff going about. Personally, I believe it's fine to do so when you don't abuse it. I mean, if you wanna meet up with friends and RP, why would you run an hour or four to do so when you can spawn near them, maybe a 30 minute walk and get back to role playing, having fun.

It's only a problem when people do this to break NLR, run back in to a firefight, stuff like that. That's just my opinion though.

Also, solving but leaving open. ;)

thanks, this was the kind of answer i was looking for! well rounded and non biased :) thanks

Why kill your self to get a better spawn...

pretty much this^

why run from elektro, which benefits me in no RP way at all when i can run from guglovo or green mountain and actually stand a chance of running into someone?

Why? Hmmm, maybe to enjoy the game to its high extent. Killing your self for a better spawn ruins just that. I will run to location B from spawn point A and if I run into some one then so be it. Gear is easy to find and people are just as easy. With your logic, you may as well get some cheat to teleport to some one or a settlement to get some RP, or do I miss understand what you are trying to say.

Oldman    22

Apart from the fact that people can be suicidal, I don't see NVL being in place if you are all alone and want a better spawn. It should be up to yourself really and I do it only at krutoy cap and three valleys to be honest.

Laurence Taylor    3

pretty much this^

Why? Hmmm, maybe to enjoy the game to its high extent. Killing your self for a better spawn ruins just that. I will run to location B from spawn point A and if I run into some one then so be it. Gear is easy to find and people are just as easy. With your logic, you may as well get some cheat to teleport to some one or a settlement to get some RP, or do I miss understand what you are trying to say.

what i mean is, what difference does it make where i spawn, when the chances are probably lower for me to get some RP than they would be if i spawned closer to where people are... i don't see how that's a bad thing?

Samaritan    250

I run :( am I the only one?

Nope, I run too...I play the cards I'm dealt.

I usually run and look for people in high pop areas like NWAF and such when I spawn, I have nothing against killing yourself for a better spawn for the ability to go and find RP, except for when people do it 20 times in a row just to get a very specific spawn point. The map is huge though, Its tedious to run across it for five hours just because a zombie one hit you through a wall and broke your legs.

Guest Praetorian   
Guest Praetorian

I run :( am I the only one?

No - you're most certainly not.

In fact, I thought everyone ran.

To my understanding, intentionally killing yourself - especially for a more favorable spawn in a blatant abuse of game mechanics, as well as NVL.

Our team has failed to regroup hundreds of times due to the distance between us, and limited play time to commit.

I would be shocked if this was found to be an acceptable practice, and will not hesitate to file a report against a player found to be intentionally doing so.

Want a great spawn of your choosing?

What to be in a high military spawn location?

Is your aim to be geared out in top tier items?

Want to quickly regroup with your team without concern of a death?

Perhaps a roleplaying server isn't for you.

what i mean is, what difference does it make where i spawn, when the chances are probably lower for me to get some RP than they would be if i spawned closer to where people are... i don't see how that's a bad thing?

You assume way too much. You can ask anybody and I would believe a majority of people here can agree that some of the best damn RP they have ever had is when they run into that one random person in a location they never expected someone to be in. In DayZ you never know where you will find people. Sure there are more popular spots.

Here is an example. I died and spawned off the coast. My whole clan was up north somewhere very far away and I just began looting Cherno. I ran into Ayton Hunter. I wasn't expecting anyone since most people hung out at TP, but I had some of the best RP I have ever had in long time.

Moral of the story, don't ever assume you can't find RP in the most random remote locations. RP is everywhere, embrace it.

As far as my thoughts on this topic:

I know people do it, but I absolutely do not like it at all. To be honest, I regularly check player deaths and will make mention to that player if I notice an abuse of this. To be very honest, I see people wasting more time killing themselves for a better spawn and if they would have just kept the original one, they would get to where they needed to be quicker.

First and foremost this is a roleplaying server, period. I feel when you respawn after dying a new life begins and you should act as its your only life.

While I am personally against it, other staff members may not mind a couple of times. At the end of the day you are only cheating yourself out of a potentially epic role play situation.

People do show up in the most remote places and random places.

Also I always thought of it as an abuse of game mechanics more then anything.

Tamaster92    14

I always wondered how this happens tbh - I can go through stary and not see a single person but be on a little dirt back road and meet the most fun RPer ever. I'd love to see a heatmap or timelapse map of RP sometime

I always wondered how this happens tbh - I can go through stary and not see a single person but be on a little dirt back road and meet the most fun RPer ever. I'd love to see a heatmap or timelapse map of RP sometime

Its puzzling yet awesome

runewr    1

Dont die so you won't respawn, problem solved..

Serious though: I run, if you know your way around it doesnt take THAT long :P

Suiciding as a freshspawn, meh, makes the survival aspect a bit dull for me.

I think killing yourself for a better spawn can be considered metagaming because you're doing it for a reason that has nothing to do with IC context. I personally think that killing yourself on purpose on a RP server is ridiculous because you never know where you might meet new people and where your travels might take you next. If anything, you might be shooting yourself in the foot if you meet someone who might wanna team or take you hostage, and then having to explain "//OOC I can't go that way I just killed myself over there".

Guest The Reverend   
Guest The Reverend

It all depends on the purpose of the respawn. If the person spawns somewhere like Msta, then I see why he would want to kill himself. Middle of nowhere (from my POV), nobody comes around and your friends will take ages trying to pick you up. Killing yourself is an ok solution when you are not using it to break NLR or Meta Game.

But remember, there might be players around you, and you killing yourself might ruin their RP and they might file a report on you. So just watch out when respawning

I take every respawn as a chance for adventure.