Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 19:04

How to act when getting robbed - GUIDE!

Papa Emeritus II

• MVP

When, not if, you get robbed!

To avoid “accidently” kosing from the robbers we thought it might be a good idea to write a “guide” how to act when being robbed.

I (As a player of one of the bigger clans) can almost ensure you that no one from the bigger clans is going to KOS you just for the fun.

If it happens, it´s because they feel threatened / misunderstanding / bug.

You basically have two options to choose between.

A)

Comply

This is the option that is the hardest one.

Since there is many things to think about.

For starters.

ALWAYS face AWAY from the bandits.

Before you might managed to drop your guns, it´s a hostile act to turn around and face the bandits.

You do have a rifle in your hand and are one mouse-click away from shooting the bandit in his face.

This is a common event that kills the victim.

Even if it´s not literally in the rules saying it´s hostile, its common sense.

DON’T aim for the bandits.

Even if they literally haven´t told you to drop your stuff. DROP YOUR STUFF.

The text-com/voice-com is bugging and not everything comes thru.

Follow the robber’s commands carefully.

If they tell you to run towards i.e. south, run SOUTH. Not South East.

This is important since the robbers might have snipers and don’t want you to run into them.

If you don’t have a compass, just ask for the direction and they will point it out.

A tip is to lower you weapon as soon you get / hear the rob message.

You do that by double-tap Ctrl (Only works with primary)

B)

Don’t comply.

99 times out of 100 this ends up you being shot.

If you are lucky there might only be one or two robbers.

Try you luck and try shoot them.

You are allowed to shoot as fast they are giving you any kind of orders.

(Yet, don’t be stupid and shoot someone just for saying “Hey, Stop!”

This is a pretty decent guide on How-To-Blow-Up-An-Entire-Bandit-Clan:

[video=youtube]

This is the first version of this guide.

If you have suggestions feel free to contact me.

See you out there.

Patte

Video of a robbery on me which ended up me killing both of the robbers. This is also an example how not to rob and this kind of situation might come if you don't comply.

[video=youtube]

Good with guides.

However you are wrong in some points.

Before you might managed to drop your guns, it´s a hostile act to turn around and face the bandits.

You do have a rifle in your hand and are one mouse-click away from shooting the bandit in his face.

Its is nowhere in the rules its a hostile act to face the robbers.

if the robber instructs you to face away, and you dont comply. then its a hostile act.

However time has to be given to the victim to read and understand what is written.

• MVP

Good with guides.

if the robber instructs you to face away, and you dont comply. then its a hostile act.

However time has to be given to the victim to read and understand what is written.

Quite true. If they do not state it then it should not count as a hostile act. For example, if they use voice it may be difficult to hear so you may turn around to see if they are aiming at you.

If they use text then you have every right to see who is robbing you, unless they state otherwise.

• MVP

It's common sense not to turn towards robbers pointing your gun at them. You are literally one click away from shooting, how do you think you would react if you would see a guy you want to rob aiming at you ?

Cmon guys... Do you really need such thing in the rules ?

• MVP

It's common sense not to turn towards robbers pointing your gun at them. You are literally one click away from shooting, how do you think you would react if you would see a guy you want to rob aiming at you ?

I am not saying there needs to be a rule. I am just saying that it is up to the robber to get the robbery right. It is not the responsibility of the victim to assume everything, but follow the instructions.

It should depend on the situation and what the robber says. If he initiates through voice and you cant hear, and turn around to see what is going on, then he has every right to kill you? Is that what you mean?

If he initiates through chat and doesn't say 'don't turn around' then you could argue that it is common sense not to turn around.

It depends on the actions of both parties. I have turned around before with the intention to comply before and not been shot.

the rules are pretty clear as they are, its the robbers who has to be clear.

Its a pretty tense moment getting robbed, you dont know what to do. you might hear something in voice before text message i read and understood. and you turn to see whats going on.

It is not even shure that it heard clearly and that it was you it is intended for what is said. you look around to see whats going on. its a natural response.

if you walk on the street and someone suddenly words up, HEY YOU!!!

yes you turn to look if its you they talk to.

The very least that has to be done is the robber instructing their victim not to look at them, and time given for this to sink in.

if you get mugged on the street, what do you do naturally, you face them and back up. Til your mind is clear and u have the situation clear to you. The mugger may say dont look at me turn away. The hyperactive stoned mugger who sees beetles crawling out of your eyes shoots without giving you time.

If the victim has gotten a direct chat message and is given some time to turn away. and we are NOT talking 2 seconds. after a message is written. it takes two seconds to see the white text and even focus on that. then it takes time to read.

You drivers out here know about the 3 seconds rule right?

It is the time it takes for your mind to intepret something into action.

Message is noticed in 3 seconds, but to understand it and make the situational assessment/decision takes longer.

so 5+ secs atleast. to do something as advanced as turning on a surprise command. And alot more then that to comply on dropping stuff.

Arma2 inventory system isnt intuitive, that we can all agree on.

Basically a robber can with the current ruleset, write the message. And shot with little risk to him/herself.

a natural reaction look in your direction can mean your free to kill.

hell you can even lie, its the victim who reports you who has to live with 5fps from frapsing to win a case.

So yes, clear instructions have to be give.... by the robber.

• MVP

It can´t be rules for EVERYTHING.

People need to use their brains as well.

If someone robs you. Don´t aim at him.

Even if it´s not litterly in the rules saying it´s hostile, its common sense.

It´s a guide to act.

And as it says.

To AVOID accidentally KoS...

• MVP

Its common sense that if a guy says "Hey you!" that you are more than likely to turn around.

If it is a piss poor robbery and all they say is "Stop Now!" are you telling me you could not stop and then look at them?

Bandits should also be guided to learn common sense to prevent accidental KoS'es on their end.

• MVP

That not all what im telling you.

Since there HAVE to be a text com for a robbery to be legit, he knows he´s getting robbed.

What is there to see?

Why does the victim needs to turn around with his rifle just to see where everyone is?

99% Its a message that includes "Drop your gear and backpack"

WHY on earth would you aiming around with ur rifle at that point?

Its common sense that if a guy says "Hey you!" that you are more than likely to turn around.

If it is a piss poor robbery and all they say is "Stop Now!" are you telling me you could not stop and then look at them?

Bandits should also be guided to learn common sense to prevent accidental KoS'es on their end.

It is common sence to shoot a guy if he is armed and turns around towards you.

And about the "Stop Now!" thing... ? Did you even read the entire guide?:P

I clearly stated that you NOT should shoot anyone for that.

• MVP

We have seen a few cases of people getting a verbal robbery. So there is no need for text, only when the victims do not respond.

http://www.dayzrp.com/t-unresolved-kosd-church-elektro?page=2

Just an example where no one has had any confirmation of a robbery and the kills were not ruled as anything.

If you apply this to what you are suggesting then we can see that if someone uses voice, and no text chat, then that person now is not able to see what is going on? No I refuse to accept that. If they use text and it is quiet/not clear, I 9 times out of 10 will turn around to see what is going on. That does not give them the right to shoot me. Nor does it give me the right to kill them.

However, if they have text I have already conceded that it would be common sense not to turn around. That would be very clear that if I made any hostile action my life would be forfeit.

My argument lies where you have an inexperienced robber who does not have a macro. Or a bandit that does not give you specific enough instructions in order to prevent a death. These robberies are the worry. Not you guys as I know you are the bees knees.

Edit:

I appreciate you are doing this to help people but victims need rights as well.

Use your common sense and see that if it is not clear that it is a robbery then they do not have any KoS rights. Once the robbery is initiated and it is crystal clear, only then will they have the ability to kill them if they turn around.

In short, use text and voice at the same time. Makes things much clearer and only then will I concede with Patte on that point.

Well...

This has happen many times.

That during a robbery, while complying the victim is turning around and gets shot down.

I will keep doing that as long he has his gun up´n´ready.

It´s another deal if he lowered or dropped his gun.

What if the inexperienced robber did not tell them to drop their guns or lower their weapon.

Using common sense needs to apply here too. Just because you said one thing, do not assume that they suddenly must do many things that are left unsaid.

I follow instructions as best as I can once they are given but why should I not turn around if I feel it would be ok for me to do so.

I am arguing a hypothetical situation here.

• MVP

Well...

This has happen many times.

That during a robbery, while complying, the victim is turning around and gets shot down.

I will keep doing that as long he has his gun up´n´ready.

It´s another deal if he lowered or dropped his gun.

• Legend

You can talk all you want; it's not going to matter. When you submit a KoS report saying "I didn't have enough time to read / react" and the bandit counters with, "you turned and aimed your weapon at me," the GM / admin will side with the bandit every time. Do not face the bandit if you know what's good for you.

• MVP

You can talk all you want; it's not going to matter. When you submit a KoS report saying "I didn't have enough time to read / react" and the bandit counters with, "you turned and aimed your weapon at me," the GM / admin will side with the bandit every time. Do not face the bandit if you know what's good for you.

That is a valid input Sin, but if I am recording it and it is not clear that it is a robbery why should I assume anything?

If I hear a quiet mumble and turn around, that gives them the right to shoot me? As I have said, I will only concede here if it is text. I can agree with that.

Considering there are so many problems with voice recently, it is just something to take into account.

• Legend

Unfortunately, yeah. It kinda does. The bandit gets the benefit of the doubt here, in that you're guns free the moment he tries to rob you.

It's not a perfect situation. I'm not saying it's right, just what it is.

• MVP

And why is that?

Because it´s common sence to not aim your weapon against the one who´s robbing you :P

• MVP

Unfortunately, yeah. It kinda does. The bandit gets the benefit of the doubt here, in that you're guns free the moment he tries to rob you.

It's not a perfect situation. I'm not saying it's right, just what it is.

Fair enough. That is why I always film. I will always argue that case, if it is not clear it is a robbery, that they gunned you down in cold blood.

If I see text I know what is happening and will comply.

Someone create a thread for tips for bandits so they know how to be clear and concise.

• MVP
Fair enough. That is why I always film. I will always argue that case' date=' if it is not clear it is a robbery, that they gunned you down in cold blood.[/quote']

This is a guide how to act WHEN BEING ROBBED, isn´t it? ;)

• MVP

Good with guides.

Patte, this is the message that started the discussion.

Facing your robbers in many cases is not actually hostile unless expressly told not to. I would also argue that many bandit macros are designed to prevent victims turning around. I would however argue if they initiate over voice there is more room for error and I suggest that they should use text to prevent any confusion for the benefit of those being robbed.

I am not arguing the insertion of a new rule. You could argue that I am just adding in a comment so your post can be suited for the victim instead of being biased towards the robbers.

• Legend

It's nowhere in the rules because it's so basic that it doesn't need to be in the rules. The rules can't possibly cover every possible situation. That's why rules are going away in a couple weeks once the new mod is done. Then it will be up to the moderators to decide cases, and it will be more important to record your sessions. People who regularly have bad audio problems will suffer consequences of some sort, no doubt.

• MVP

Help me to type that in another way then.

I bet you all understand what i mean here...

• MVP

It's nowhere in the rules because it's so basic that it doesn't need to be in the rules. The rules can't possibly cover every possible situation. That's why rules are going away in a couple weeks once the new mod is done. Then it will be up to the moderators to decide cases, and it will be more important to record your sessions. People who regularly have bad audio problems will suffer consequences of some sort, no doubt.

Herein lies the problem and agreed Sin. Just trying to discuss the issue but the simpler rules will be certainly interesting.

I am actually quite eager.

Patte, sorry for derailing this. It was just a concern and seemed to be quite topical at the moment. Your post is great and is actually very helpful. Just me being a nitpicker :P