Server time (UTC): 2021-10-23 14:54

Help with Roleplaying

Hi, with the server wipe just around the corner I was looking over the new lot of server rules and stared to think about the staying in character rule, since i have joined the server i haven't actually role-played and i need some help with deciding what i want to roleplay and a back story for my character, i like the idea of being some kind of soldier from the British army stranded in Chernarus but i dont know how to expand from this.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks

I roleplayed i was an american that moved with his wife and child to chernarus for work related stuff (fill in the blank :P), and that she went on a business trip and thats when the apocalypse started.

you could always visit the other threads found here in the RP section, to maybe get inspiration.

Hi Bitesize. There are quite a bit of things you may want to consider:

Where were you when the outbreak started? How/when did you kill your first zombie? Was your soldier on the toilet when a zed broke down the door in fatigues and tried to feast on his succulent noggin?

Were you on patrol with a group that was overtaken by one of the smaller cities that had succumbed to zombification? If so, were you the only one to survive? Did you have to kill someone before they turned? It may give you a twist on what is happening if you had to look at a squadmate, someone you hate trained to work with in combat settings and consider almost like family, and kill them because they asked you between choked sobs not to let them turn into one of those monsters.

Maybe your soldier wasn't exactly a model cadet. Maybe he was the slacker, the guy who would sneak out to smoke and that is what saved him, a sliver of chance that, just because he went out to smoke, saved him from being overrun like the rest of the barracks. How would that affect him? Would he have survivor's guilt from seeing men he knew were better soldiers, better people than himself torn apart and either eaten or turned into more of those creatures?

The best way to build the character is the way that makes you happy to play him. It can simply be a buff, Rambo-ish manly man who never wears a shirt because his pecs deflect bullets, or you could play an aging veteran who has seen the horror and futility of war increased however many fold you think appropriate.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Hi, with the server wipe just around the corner I was looking over the new lot of server rules and stared to think about the staying in character rule, since i have joined the server i haven't actually role-played and i need some help with deciding what i want to roleplay and a back story for my character, i like the idea of being some kind of soldier from the British army stranded in Chernarus but i dont know how to expand from this.

Any help will be appreciated,

Thanks

Since you tend to die alot in DayZ (because of bugs or other things) I would recommend not going in too deep with you character beforehand if you do not think it's a problem to keep on living with that same persona after you die. In my experience I often just focus on a few simple traits that I want my persona to be.

Examples can be: proud, soldier, father and patriot or if you want another character ambitious, cynical, cold and ruthless. Once I have my desired core of my character I just let my gameplay do the rest for me while always thinking about those core things whenever I make a important choice like who I am going to trust and what I am going to do.

I might be a personal thing but I find it harder to keep in character the more I think about a person before I play him. I find it hard to know what choices that person would make since the persona is too complex.

Good luck and I look forward to roleplaying with you in the future!