Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 19:04

Roleplay Opinions.

When i first started playing dayz i thought to my self (you never really die right?)

then i started falling into Roleplay servers.

So lately I have decided to go under different names. much like the rest of us do.

BUT...

each name(profile) only has 1 LIFE

Im curious as to how many other roleplayers do this?

This thread can also be used to ask opinions about roleplay in general.

• Emerald

I'd be up for this if I wasn't a member of a clan. It would end up so contrived after using so many ideas for why you'd be associated with the same group of people because some zombie one-shot killed you through a wall.

Give him relationships. If he dies you can adapt to one of his friends until the whole lot is dead.

I'd be up for this if I wasn't a member of a clan. It would end up so contrived after using so many ideas for why you'd be associated with the same group of people because some zombie one-shot killed you through a wall.

Give him relationships. If he dies you can adapt to one of his friends until the whole lot is dead.

whats going to happen if you "client" dies? just curious lol

• Emerald

whats going to happen if you "client" dies? just curious lol

Is only possible if I really want him to be at risk. But by then I'll have new mysteries and such unraveling.

Ask me! I'm a hardcore RP'er who dies all the time. The trick is, if you died alone, nobody around, by a zombie, or died from a glitch/accident (like pressing "v" instead of "b" on a high tower) I guess it's okay to cheat a bit by saying you never died, and saying that event never happened. One other instance, I got killed by a bandit, but instead of going through the trouble of making a new character, I explained how I was knocked unconscious and taken hostage.

I'm a newbie here, so I'm just throwing in my two cents:

When it comes to a server like this, much like in text-based games, you might want to look at it as a "narrow escape." My last diary post actually tells of what happened after my new associate and I were attacked and wiped out. I wrote it as being torn at by zombies and shrugging off everything I could to get away, and believing I saw him running as well in the chaos.

If he decides he doesn't want to play that character again, then that's perfectly fine, it was just a zombie or it was my character's own hopeful imagination.

If there is no sense of permanency when it comes to death you have to hand wave a few things. If you kill someone and they return you may need to think that, perhaps, you mortally wounded them and they were rescued or perhaps what you did to them wasn't as lethal as you originally believed.

The only real time this becomes an issue (At least in my experience) is when people are upset IRL. You need to be willing to uphold the Facade, for wont of a better term, that you can get firebombed and still come back as the same character simply because the player doesn't wish to enforce an arbitrary rule that the server itself doesn't enforce. This is fine when it's just "Oh man, you caught me with a headshot from an AS50 from there? Good on you, guess I have to start again" but when people take the game too seriously and begin to feel offended or cheated OOC then it can create problems.

Now, if you WANT to play a hardcore game in which each of your names only has one life and if they die because a zombie glitched through a wall and broke their legs/knocked them unconscious/nommed their yummy headmeats then that is your prerogative and more power to you. I think there is a sense of admiration in it but that level of play is beyond someone with my piddly skills.

If you don't want to do that, then don't beat yourself up because others do, play the way you like as long as you aren't just being a twit for the sake of being a twit. We've got a damn good game to base the role-play off of, and hopefully most of the players will try to make it fun for everyone involved, not just themselves and their friends.

Guest Sam Goodenough

I have only started today but I am along the lines of what Raptor and Mace says.

In other word, it depends on the situation. If I can somehow make it a "left for dead but somehow survived" I probably will, but some situations will no doubt be "final".

Basically role-playing an unseen saviour, waking up in bad shape and slowly recovering or something.

I am pleasantly surprised I have survived my measly two and some hours so far, ha! ;)