Server time (UTC): 2021-09-18 14:57

Blood, Bullets and Politics
TODAY | 2021-09-18 20:00:00 (server time) | Starts in 5 hours, 2 minutes

Discussion About the 'Mike Tyson' Zombie

I thought I would start a discussion on my favorite zombie, the one who takes many lives, who may bring frustration to many, the one-hit K.O., the zombie of Mike Tyson himself. What are your thoughts on him? Is he the worst zombie ever? Or maybe he is a new and exciting look on the zombie community? If you have recently gone through a stressful time with a 'MT' zombie feel free to express your feelings here, we are all your friends, and can help you through this time of misunderstanding. :)

• Emerald

I understand that zombies are supposed to be the main the threat and that they are supposed to be powerful. But that doesn't ease the heartbreak when you one hit K.O through a wall and die because you player stumbled through said wall and dies because he is stuck in this wall. But these incidents tbh are rare and easy to avoid if you are sneaky.

• Emerald

Theres already quite a few threads on this topic out there, but to just add to this one the "mike tyson" zombies are there to make you absolutely fear going into high zombie spawn areas like cities and military outposts. I love them, they give a thrill no other DayZ has provided me. While yes it does get frustrating when you get the one hit kill, it makes you think twice before you decide to run around carefree through loot spawns or go loud with your weapon

• MVP

There has been threads about this issue in the past. Tyson Zombies although annoying if they hit you through a wall (only happened a couple of times for me) add a little danger, where before zombies were just a little bit annoying. It keeps you on your toes, makes you be a lot more sneaky when moving around towns and also makes you think twice before you open fire.

• MVP

I'm gunna take time to mechanically explain why occasionally a zombie one-hits you right now :)

Right so - the zombie attacks and fires a gun in a similar way to how the melee weapons work. A bullet is spawned and has a incredibly short travel distance. This 'bullet' then hits the target in a specific part of the body and does base damage x whatever that body part multiplier is.

Sometimes that 'bullet' hits you in the head. This being ARMA the multiplier for headshots is very, very high. A zombie hit to the body in 1.3.4 does ~2-3k damage at most whilst a headshot regularly does ~10k.

This then knocks you out and when unconscious all zombie hits have a extra multiplier applied to them which results in you being eaten rather quickly :)

• MVP

Mike Tyson zombies have been in the mod in some form for a very long time now. If anything they are the risk that makes it rewarding to avoid being attacked by them. There is always that sense of danger when a zed could get you on the ground and finish you off quickly. That is a great thing for the players and does give you some desire to avoid them.

They are one small part in the formula that makes this game a grim reminder of the risks our characters run every time. As such players should really tune in with those feelings and immerse themselves.

Obviously pathing has some issues that can affect the MT zombies but in time these will be modified to better compliment the experience and make it more focused on punishing those that make poor choices rather than a big "Fuck you" random death.

Just to clarify, I love the MT zombie :), he is my favorite. I believe he is why the zombies are truly a danger. Not just an annoyance, as it is in other games or even servers. This means that there truly is an element of PvE, and it is not just PvP. Some of the pathing and wall hacking zombies tend to do is an entire other element, but to have that real danger of MT zombies, makes the apocalypse really that, and not just a distraction. I wanted to hear others thoughts on him. :)

The zombies that eat about 29 bullets *reload* five bullets, all in the head and then a hit with a hatchet finally does the trick are my favorite, keep those in the game.

What ping did you had? 16000?

Barely every encountered this 1-hit-ko. Maybe because i avoid that zombies hit me at all.

But after all, its more realistic than a zombie who needs to eat your whole arm first before you die...

The zombies that eat about 29 bullets *reload* five bullets, all in the head and then a hit with a hatchet finally does the trick are my favorite, keep those in the game.

What ping did you had? 16000?

Barely every encountered this 1-hit-ko. Maybe because i avoid that zombies hit me at all.

But after all, its more realistic than a zombie who needs to eat your whole arm first before you die...

I've had my ping reach 5000 :P

But nah, when I'm at TP and there's a zombie that comes in and a bunch of us waste like 100 bullets trying to kill it until someone grabs a hatchet.