Server time (UTC): 2021-09-24 07:11

Team Medic Aide Memoire

• Sapphire

In this guide I will cover essential parts of the Team Medic course. Covering different mechanisms of battlefield injury, the primary survey, care under fire, and sveral other useful tips/neumonics.

Team Medic

The Team Medic is a member of the fireteam trained to a higher level of medical care than basic Battlefield Life Support/Battlefield Casualty Drills. He is by no means a doctor but is trained to sustain life until CASEVAC is requested.

Mechanism of Injury

Battlefield casualties fall into the following catagories:

Blast/Frag

GSW

Stab

Burn

Blunt Trauma: Road Traffic Incident, Fall, Crush

Primary Survey

Given the need for speed of action the following neumonic is used for treatment of any casualty.

©ABCDE

© Catastrophic Bleed

A Airway

B Breathing+Ventilation

C Circulation

D Disability

E Environment

© Catastrophic Bleed - Massive bloodloss is of main concern given the nature of injury sustained. Limb amputation and arterial bleeds for example.

Apply torniquet/s above the site cutting off the blood, apply field dressing with direct pressure to the site. CELOX coagulating packing inside the wound may also be used to stem the blood loss.

A Airway - ICOM

I-Inspect

C-Clear

O-Open

M-Maintain

I Inspect - Look inside to see if anything is obstructing the airway be it foreign bodies or teeth/tounge.

C Clear - Use your finger to sweep out any debris.

O Open - Done with the "Head tilt/Chin lift" method. Place your hand under the chin and tilt the head back opening the airway and allowing you to see inside, also opening the airway.

Or, "Jaw Thrust" Face the top of the casualties head press thumbs against chin and tilt the ehad towards you opening the airway and allowing you to see inside.

M Maintain - Maintain the open airway once established.

B Breathing - RIBS

R Rate

I Injury

B Back

S Sides

R Rate - Check for low or high rate of breath and record.

I Injury - Run your hands down the casualties chest and check for breaks/damage.

B Back - As above but down the back of the casualty.

S Sides - As above down the casualties sides.

C Circulation - Check "Blood on the floor and four more"

Checking the entire body for wounds/fractures by pressing with your hands and checking them for blood. Go back and review © Catastrophic Bleed then stop any other bleeding with:

Direct Pressue

Packing

Indirect Pressure

Splintage

Elevation

Torniquet

CELOX

The "Four More": Split the body into 4, Chest, Abdomen, Pelvis, Thighs/Arms.

Internal Signs -

Injury

Respitory Rate

Pulse Rate

Pale Colour

Abdominal - Do NOT remove any foreign bodies. Do NOT push any protusion of organs back inside the body.

Cover with a moist field dressign.

Keep casualty warm.

Place casualty in the W position. Sat up with knees drawn up to the chest.

Give pain relief.

Fractures -

Control bleeding

Re-align if possible

Splint above or below injury

D Disability - AVPU

A Alert

V Voice

P Pain

U Unresponsive

Is the casualty alert to voice or pain, if not the casualty is determined to be unresponsive.

E Environment - For example if the casualty is in the sun, place in shade lossen clothing and keep hydrated if possible. Cold, keep warm, etc.

Pain Relief

Physical -

Dressings

Covering/Cooling Burns

Splintage

Psychological -

Distraction

Reasurance

Self Control

Placebo Effect

Pharmacological -

Morphine sulphate, deliver to the fleshy part of the upper thigh at a 90 degree angle or upper arm at a 45 degree angle and held for 10 seconds. 10mg dosage with a second given if needed after 30 minutes.

DO NOT give if there is, a reduced level of response, difficulty breathing or a head injury.