Server time (UTC): 2021-09-20 20:02

Getting a feel for the idea of RPing in Dayz

Guest Simmsie

Guest Simmsie

Hello, I'm Simmsie or Kail (which ever you prefer) and I stumbled onto DayzRP when I googled Dayz Roleplay. I decided to look for a roleplay community in the game because I've been enjoying Dayz Epoch on a friends's server, where we're building and toying with RP on tumblr.

I'm here taking a peek around for myself and at least three other friends who have all actively roleplayed in other games and enjoyed Dayz Epoch. So far it's been interesting what I've found and read through (I've gone through all the FAQ and Rules so hopefully I'm not missing anything) but I still have questions:

Do people roleplay by using the chat channel? (IE: Text) Or does everyone rely on voice chat and using their own voice for their "characters"?

On death you can't go back to your body or remember how you died (so I believe?) so does every death mean you're a new character?

What if your character is someone who would kill others, because they are maybe paranoid or dangerous, is that just not possible because of the server rules?

Is building out in the world available to all players if we can get out own materials and space or is there a process/limitation?

Thank's all for now, hope to see more of you all soon.

Hello, Kail, I'm Doc! I believe that the questions you ask are valid and will try my best as a community member to help you and your buddies out.

Do people roleplay by using the chat channel? (IE: Text) Or does everyone rely on voice chat and using their own voice for their "characters"?

Here, you can use both voice and text RP. Generally, text communication is used for actions and motions that Arma does not allow you to do, but you can still talk using it.

Ex: *Brushes teeth over sink*

On death you can't go back to your body or remember how you died (so I believe?) so does every death mean you're a new character?

Not at all. Though the NLR is set, this does not mean that you have to permanently kill off a character once he/she dies.

What if your character is someone who would kill others, because they are maybe paranoid or dangerous, is that just not possible because of the server rules?

Such ideals are not tolerated. Generally, murders, serial killers, and the insane should not express there nature through KOS'ing other players.

Is building out in the world available to all players if we can get out own materials and space or is there a process/limitation?

Things like tents, barricades, and campfires can be put anywhere, as long as they are not obstructive to the path of other players. You can also create settlements if you own a large enough clan or a PCB using the Arma 2 editor.

I hope I helped a little and if you need additional support, PM the moderators, community helpers, or myself.

• Titanium

Welcome. Good questions as well.

1. People roleplay using text and voice, it's only defined by personal preference. I'd have to say, some of the best roleplayers use text as their primary way of communicating.

2. When you die, you can't remember what led up to your death, or where you died. If you returned to your body then it'd be classed as NLR, which is a 3 day ban if I'm not wrong. As for having to start a new character, no you don't. You can remember people you've met, groups you've met, enemies you've met (people who've been hostile) and I believe you can remember everything like places to go to roleplay, just never return to your body within the 90 minutes of your death.

3. You may kill anyone, but you must have KoS rights on them first. If your character likes killing people, it's best to roleplay out a robbery, if they don't comply feel free to murder them. Just keep in mind, "Do I have KoS rights, should I risk it if I don't?".

4. You can create a PCB/Settlement, but I believe you must have a group consisting of 10 or over. You can find all the necessary threads here.

• Emerald

1. It really depends on what you prefer, a lot of people use voice but I have met some excellent text rpers as well.

2. Not a new charcter, but a new life basically. You retain memories of you friends, your clan and things like that. But don't you think it would be weird if you someone died and you look to the left and see that same person living, it would kind of break immersion so that is one of the reasons that rule is in place, that and trying to rejoin a firefight.

3. Well you can't just go around killing people, you have to have a solid rp reason to execute someone, even though some admins don't like execution because they serve no purpose, but you have to have good reason to do no (i.e. past hostilities, you have kos rights, etc...)

4. Well this is not epoch so there is no building, although if you are good with the editor you can build settlements and pcb's for players but first you have to get it approved with the developers.

Guest Simmsie

Thanks for all the responses, they've defiantly answered my questions fully. I'm stilling looking around, reading, and talking to my friends about how they feel and will possibly have question in the future. For now, hope to see you all again soon!