Server time (UTC): 2021-09-25 13:13

Could use some advice

This ain't nothing big but I feel it'll get me in trouble in the future or possibly get me banned. I'd rather try to find a way to deal with it rather than stick to it. I take insults and similar stuff IG VERY seriously. Even though I know that all of this is done IC I still can't hold back the urge to just trash talk, come up with comebacks and just take the piss out of the initater even though they threaten me with death. I don't know why I do this but I think it's because my competitive history on console. Me and my friends used to have a clan and always looked for a fight. IG wise and argument wise which lead to a lot of cursing, dissing, etc. It also feels like if I don't do what I do then it effects my pride in a way, like: "I can't let myself to be lesser than this person"

Do you all think that I can be saved or am I scared for life? :)

Any tips?

Well if you have a lot of people pointing weapons at your head and you keep on trash talking them, that could be considered as NVL and perhaps BadRP.

But if the problem is that you take insults seriously OOC then that's a problem.

My suggestion would be, hold your tongue and remember that it's roleplay and they aren't talking with the man behind the computer.

I had a similar problem when I was new, I took things personal, like getting robbed and stuff like that, but after a while I understood that it's just a game and that people are roleplaying with a character I made and not me ooc.

• Legend

Are you playing as your self? I mean is your character more or less you? If yes, you really should try and separate your self from your RP identity, that will help you NOT to take in-game happenings personally :)

Are you playing as your self? I mean is your character more or less you? If yes, you really should try and separate your self from your RP identity, that will help you NOT to take in-game happenings personally :)

Yeah my character is similar to me. Like an alter me you know?

• Legend

Yes then that is your problem. If it is "you" in-game, then of course you will take everything what is said to you, personally.

Guest Nykke

Yes then that is your problem. If it is "you" in-game, then of course you will take everything what is said to you, personally.

You make a good point. Any other suggestions anyone?

Think about this guy [video=youtube]

• MVP

If you know the groups that you have this rp with, then after the rp is over, go find the ts channel they use and talk to them about the encounter. Thank them for providing you with a good rp scenario if it was as such. If not, if it is bad rp, then report them.

Talk to them. Learn to separate the IC from the OOC. GL!

• Legend

What Gina said.

Also, don't be a lad, be a mensch. A mensch doesn't care what anyone else thinks. He knows what he's worth, and that's what matters. Those other guys are just making noise.

[Edit] - To expand on what Gina said, it can be great fun to create a character that is (almost) as entirely unlike you as possible ... as long as you can still identify with that character and emulate them in game. Doesn't do to break character.

Once you realize your character is not 'you', a lot opens up. You can see their trials and tribulations as humorous. You can laugh when they get rekt in the most decisive way possible. Hell, you can build crippling flaws into the character and make their purpose in life a huge, never-ending struggle to overcome those flaws. Put some thought into it and don't bite off more than you can chew. Start small, try it on for size from time to time, and you may find yourself falling in love with your alter-ego. Just don't fall so hard that you can't stand to see your character hurt. After all, this is still DayZ. You will fail. Sooner or later. The point is to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.

The best advice i can give is, when you are pushed into a corner and being verbally attacked or have several guns pointing at you...is to be the bigger man and back down.

There is nothing worse in RP when you come across a player that CANNOT be defeated what so ever. They refuse defeat, they are not afraid of anything and they are king on the hill of gods.

If you cannot accept that another player can defeat you or outsmart you, but instead you pull the break and just refuse out of spite, then you will be remembered as such also rather than a good roleplayer.

Defeat is nothing more than a tactical regrouping. Do not fear it and do not see it as a weakness. Playing in godmode however is.

I think a lot of the time the biggest hindrance to many people's RP comes from their refusal to be on the 'losing side' of an RP scenario (even though no such thing exists, it's easy to conceptualise one scenario as a win and another as a loss). People are unwilling to, out of character, put down their will to come out of the situation on top and hand over the power stick to whoever they're RPing with. My advice to you is don't be one of those people. It strikes me as a brilliant sign when someone lets up and puts enough faith in the person they're roleplaying with to help them have a good time.

I guess I could give you an example...not meaning to big myself up here, but a while ago my in character wife was kidnapped and taken to a castle. I knew where she was and hell could have been rained on the kidnappers, especially cause they all clustered up on the roof, but I went to talk to them instead and it ended up being one of the nicest experiences I've had ingame, but it involved me knowing they were gonna initiate on me out of character and going in anyway and putting my guns down.

In short, if you have to suffer a loss when you know it'll potentially give you good RP, do it. Don't be one of many people who just want to come out on top, especially when you next catch yourself doing this. Try playing a scenario like that completely powerlessly, it might be one of the more enjoyable things you've done. Conceding isn't a blow to your pride, if anything it's the better thing to do in many situations.