Server time (UTC): 2021-09-25 13:15

The Healing of Zuberi Ekwensi

sung

• Titanium

yPwgdMu.png

Abyei-town.jpg

Zuberi sat down by the road, he watched the local men walk past as they staggered off to do their daily routines. The sun was hot and the atmosphere was humid. Sweat stuck to his forehead and he licked his lips, he was slightly dehydrated and his sisters weren't due back with the water for another 3 hours.

"Papa, when does the water get here?" Zuberi sighed, even speaking was an effort.

"Ehh, I'm not sure. Go play with your brothers." With that said, Zuberi rose off his feet and wandered around his family's property. The few livestock they had were thin and looked as if they were dying, after all, it was rare for them to get a feed due to the harsh terrain in Sudan.

Zuberi continued past the small paddock, his bare feet brushing the dirt lightly creating a small dust trail behind him. "Abasi, what are you doing?" he asked his eldest brother.

Abasi stood there, his body arched over as he tried setting a log inside the earth. "Trying to fix the fence. Zub, grab me some wheat, I'm choking on dirt over here..." Zuberi assisted his brother with the fence, trying to get through the day until his sisters and mother returned.

They ran out of logs after a short while. The fence was crooked and half rotten, but a fence is a fence and they were proud of what they had achieved.

Zuberi and his brothers sat around the front of their small hut, only their toes peaked out into the setting sun while the unreliable roof kept the dusk light off their bodies. They joked together, while all peering down the road for any sort of sign of their sisters and mother returning. Water was definitely hard to come by.

evoH9dO.jpg?1?9422

"Mama, sisters!" Zuberi yelled as he ran toward them, he was relieved they had returned, along with 3 bowls full of water which would only last them the night and half way through the next morning.

"Drink, everyone. Leave some for the morning and some extra to wash yourselves." his mother said. She was a smart woman and extremely brave, although her bravery goes unnoticed to Zuberi, walking hours to and from water everyday while putting your body at risk of lonesome Sudanese rebels was a dangerous risk, yet it seemed to pay off day after day.

• Titanium

I can tell this will be a unique and interesting journey. Cant wait for more bruv :)

Cheers mate, yeah I have some ideas and hopefully I can portray them well in this thread.

Having fun with this character, possibly more then I did on Sung Ho :D

Guest Shadow

I can tell this will be a unique and interesting journey. Cant wait for more bruv :)

Cheers mate, yeah I have some ideas and hopefully I can portray them well in this thread.

Having fun with this character, possibly more then I did on Sung Ho :D

Maybe soon he will find his place in The Ummah? ;)

• Emerald

Zub is fun ;-)

Looking good, keep it up mate :-)

• Titanium

Zub is fun ;-)

Looking good, keep it up mate :-)

Cheers mate, appreciate it. :D

• Titanium

yPwgdMu.png

south_sudan_flickr_creative_commons_babasteve-470-wplok.jpg

Zuberi's mother looks down at him before she leaves on her trip to the water hole. The early morning sun was just rising over the hills and everyone on the family plot was beginning to rise for yet another day of their lives.

"Look after your Papa and brothers for me, ok?" she asked him, her yellow teeth slightly exposed in her smile. She had already prepared her daughters for the day long trip, the young girls stood behind their mother watching as she spoke to her son.

"Yeah, Mama. Just for you." he smiled. Zuberi had woken early to the sounds of sheep calling to each other, sleep still in the corner of his eyes.

The conversation ended at that, she stepped back and reached down for her water container. She gestured to her daughters and they followed her action and began walking down the road toward the water hole.

Zuberi watched as they walked, their distant figures eventually vanished but within the hour they reappeared. Their figures approached faster then they vanished, they were crying and screaming.

[mp3]http://puu.sh/aaLDC/2972a45636.mp3[/mp3]

342188_South-Sudan-soldiers%20.jpg

They were followed by vehicles, it seemed like hundreds of armed men were inside them. They stopped in the street and one by one, men planted their boots into the dusty road. They approached with haste and force, dragging Zuberi's family into the street.

The Ekwensi family knelt, their knees grazed. Zuberi, along with his other siblings cried, worried for their life.

Holding Zuberi's father at gun-point the leader of the rebels spoke, "Join our cause or you'll regret it." His father refused and was smacked in the nose with the butt of his rifle. They asked Asabi next and repeated his father's words, "Not in a thousand years."

It angered them, they lined up the 4 eldest brothers in the family along with Zuberi's father and loaded their weapons, each aimed at the back of the men's heads.

The cracking of a rifle and the sound of a lifeless body hitting the ground was unimaginably horrible. Zuberi ran, his face teary. He didn't turn back until the laughs of the rebels had faded. He was dehydrated again, he lost sight of the remaining members of his family.

• Diamond

It's good bro, it really shows that you are developing your character well. The music and pictures are great additions as well.

• Titanium

It's good bro, it really shows that you are developing your character well. The music and pictures are great additions as well.

Good stuff man, I really enjoyed it.

Thanks guys, much more too come. :D

• Titanium

yPwgdMu.png

The child's silhouette stands above Zuberi as he lays in the sand. The sun outlines his figure as Zuberi struggles to his feet.

"What's your name, huh?" the child speaks softly, his voice hesitant. Zuberi is standing, he looks at the young child's face. It's recognizable, he replies "Zuberi, my brothers called me..." he paused for a moment and looked to the sand in his toes, "..Zub".

sudan-yida-child.jpg

"I'm from the town, my name's Kofi. I saw the men in the trucks drive in while I was playing out here. What did they want?" he seemed concerned, he'd heard the gun shots. Zuberi stood there silent, his eyes told the story. Kofi noticed his expression and pulled at Zuberi's arm. "Follow me, we'll go somewhere safe."

Kofi pulled and dragged Zuberi across the open fields, they reached a water hole and drank. They didn't speak, the smile on Kofi's face was enough to suggest he was happy enough.

"Why are you happy?" Zub asked, he looked at Kofi's face, it irritated him after everything that had happened. "What do you mean? I lived alone in town, I have no family to worry about." there was no point in arguing, both boys were tired and it was unlikely for them to survive the night in the open.

IvorT55.jpg?1?2853

They laid down by a bush, covered themselves in a light layer of sand and rested. They didn't wake until early morning, it was when a rebel patrol passed by. They continued on, harvesting the little berries off of the local shrubs along with trying to save as much water as possible.

Little did they know, they'd reach a major obstacle the next day.

• Titanium

yPwgdMu.png

The Nile is a river in northeastern Africa, it's regarded as the longest river in the world. The Nile is shared by eleven countries and is a main water source for Sudan and Egypt. The river ranges 6853km in length while being 2.8km wide.

WY2OGGL.jpg?1?6264

Zuberi and Kofi walked through the desert. Their bare feet burnt from the warm dirt, blisters formed in-between the toes of both boys. They had collected a water container and it was half filled, while having the pockets in their torn trousers filled with dried wheat and berries.

They heard a rebel truck approaching and dived for the dirt, struggling to keep the water in their container. "Keep low" one of them spoke. They watched as it drove passed, they kept their heads low and were unseen. The truck was filled with rebels.

The boys waited for a few moments until the sound of the truck had faded. They rose to their feet and continued on. Zuberi and Kofi were climbing a steep sand dune, it was difficult and they'd soon reached the top.

They overlooked a huge river, and at the shore line were thousands of people, trying to find a safe way to pass over. Lines and lines of people walking around each other, trudging in the mud. The people ranged in age, the youngest being multiple newborn babies while the elderly who's age was unknown. Men, women and children trying desperately to flee their home country.

Crossing the Nile was their only choice if they wanted to escape the War in Darfur.

"Wow, who are they?" Kofi wondered out loud. Zuberi was unable to answer the question, he was eager to see if his remaining family were down there. "Let's find out."

h1tJV4X.jpg?1?5125

They approached the large amount of people. They spoke to no-one as they walked around searching for Zuberi's family, the task would take days but he was determined.

Guest Shadow

I really like the pictures you put into it, its not just a wall of text :)

Keep it coming brother, really interesting to see your character develop.

• Titanium

yPwgdMu.png

utcQb8k.jpg?1?8095

"Crocodile, Crocodile!" children screamed as they ran from the river's edge. The commotion drew attention and soon everyone began panicking, mostly everyone was screaming, terrified of the gigantic animal. If there was one around, it normally meant there were others aswell.

Zuberi and Kofi watched as people cried of fear. They were further up the dune so it was difficult for a crocodile to reach them and it'd take a while if one decided to attack them. The boys chewed on the wheat they'd collected on their way to the temporary river village.

Kofi looked to his side, facing Zuberi, "Found your sisters yet? It's been three days," he asked.

"No-one. Not even my mother or brothers." Zuberi's face hung, he was saddened by the thoughts of never finding his family. "Maybe they've already crossed the river," he said softly.

The noise was blamed as a factor later on by many but shortly after the incident with the crocodile, multiple trucks full of rebels appeared on the top of the dunes. They pulled remaining men and teenagers around and forced them to join their ranks. Many refused and were consequently executed. Zuberi having watched it happen again believed this was normal behavior outside of his home town of Nyala. Only until there were shots fired into the crowd is when Zuberi and Kofi ran scared.

They ran straight for the water and didn't turn back.

Dn807jU.jpg?1?1180

The rebels fired into the water. Many people were hit and the current

dragged everyone down stream. The rebels weren't the only issue, some were taken by the crocodiles and drowned.

Soon Zuberi had reached the other side, he scrambled above the water surface and crawled to safety. He looked around and more then half of the people by the river village had seemed to have crossed safely.

“I wandered everywhere, through cities and countries wide. And everywhere I went, the world was on my side.”

[align=right]-Roman Payne

• Titanium

Dat quote tho ;)

Lovely man, really am taken back from your writing skills. I didn't know you had it in you buddy <3

Cheers mate, still learning. My English teacher says I'm below average so hearing that makes me little more confident in my writing :)

Guest Shadow

Dat quote tho ;)

Lovely man, really am taken back from your writing skills. I didn't know you had it in you buddy <3

Cheers mate, still learning. My English teacher says I'm below average so hearing that makes me little more confident in my writing :)

Tell em Amir said get fucked ;)

• Titanium

yPwgdMu.png

u0LRkD3.jpg?1?3286

Zuberi ran from the river bed and was joined by the rest of the survivors. Everyone headed inland, they didn't turn around. Zuberi struggled to climb up the hills.

Everyone walked in silence, they harvested food from the ground and native shrubs. They passed through villages and people watched them, confused by what was happening.

Some of the elderly that had managed to survive this far began singing. Repetitive chants of people wanting mercy from god.

q6NBjPA.jpg?1?2290

Zuberi and the remaining hundred of people were in Ethiopia, they walked for days through the mountainous terrain and soon they'd reached the edge of the countries borders. They continued on into the most northern part of Somalia, they'd reach refuge soon enough.

• Titanium

yPwgdMu.png

"May 23rd, 2003. Welcome to the Gulf of Aden refugee camp. Queue for registration or line up on the east for your daily rations. May 23rd, 2003. Welcome ----" the loud speaker rang out across a large camp, housing thousands of people, the same message repeated itself. It reminded Zuberi of the river village, just without the automated loud speaker.

487lOnZ.jpg?1?7653

Along with the hundreds of remaining survivors of the river village, Zuberi went over and queued for registration. It took hours but eventually he was questioned by a lady, she was surrounded by armed guards, "Name, age and country, state them and move on," she said.

Zuberi stuttered at first but eventually named himself, "Zuberi Ekwensi, 14, Nyala in Sudan."

Zuberi was allowed to pass and was guided to the orphanage, he would spend the next year here until he was of age to work around the camp.

iVXr4p8.jpg?2?7156

Eventually he was led to a tent, this tent would house him along with multiple other children and two adults. He introduced himself to everyone and decided to keep to himself for the rest of the day.

Zuberi hoped he'd find Kofi or his family at this place, he'd been separated and alone again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Titanium

yPwgdMu.png

"October 8th, 2003. Welcome to the Gulf of Aden refugee camp. Queue for registration or line up on the east for your daily rations. October 8th, 2003. Welcome ----" Zuberi wandered, the sounds of everyone going on with their daily lives was something he had gotten used too. Most of the children he stayed with over the months had been transferred to different tents and temporary families.

He'd venture everyday at sunrise to the registration gates, hoping to see familiar faces passing in. Nothing. Everyday was a disappointment but Zuberi still had the courage and hope. His friends and family were everything to him and giving up wouldn't have been a smart move due to being alone day and night.

M2tZHCv.jpg

Zuberi watched as officials organised men, women and children onto boats. Chatter suggested that these people boarding the boats would never set foot in the dirt of Africa again. This was a worrying thought for Zuberi, he didn't want to go on the boats. The only time he would leave was when he was with his family.

Zuberi returned to the registration gates. It lied on the most South-West side of the camp, taking up a rather small space considering the amount of tents for accommodation. The housing was along the Western, Northern and a quarter of the South-Eastern sides of the camp, the remaining quarter was dedicated for food supplies, drink, vehicles and weapons.

"Name, age and country, state them and move on," spoke multiple officials. Zuberi was focused on the entrance mainly used by children and women, however a certain voice caught his attention.

"Kofi Artoli, I'm 10 and I'm from Sudan. Can I go in, miss?" Zuberi turned and faced the area in which the voice came from, he walked slowly to it and he saw him. His friend stood in-front of him.

They ran and hugged each other, glad to be with each other again.

• Titanium

Bout time motherfucker -_-

Sorry, had no idea what to write about :P