Server time (UTC): 2021-09-16 22:28

Anyone a DJ?

I was wondering if any of you mix/spin and if so which genres?

Love to hear your mixes and what you mix on.

I personally mix on a Traktor S4 and mainly spin drum and bass with some hardcore/hardstyle.

Heres a little mix i did few days ago:

[video=youtube]

Hey, maybe you can answer a question for me?

Guys like Avicii/SHM, what is it they do live?

I understand the whole mix/production thing, it's just the live bit that confuses me, also...really nice mix dude.

They basically start off with 1 house song, and in the middle of that song, they slowly bring in another song, after matching the tempos so the beat matches up when they are both played at the same time.

Then when the first song ends, the second song they brought it still plays, and it keeps going, so they play music for a full hour without any stops.

Ofc, they also have to worry about dropping, double dropping, and know how to count music in bars, phrases, beats and verses. House music is very easy beacause the beat is very easy to count, although in drum and bass, there is more randomness and a harder beat to count.

Those house artists make millions just to turn a few knobs for an hr. I'm jealous.

• Emerald

Not a DJ, but I am a sound designer/sound engineer.

My baby her name is Marlene: http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/ilive-t112/

a similar setup as my Patching room: http://www.film-tech.com/warehouse/pics/afi/AFISPicture76.jpg

These are the mics I use (Wireless) I have about 30 in total between both schools: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/264085.html

This is my workspace: http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/8chanhassen0902.jpg

• Sapphire

Mixed some glitch-hop/wide variety of EDM, I have no uploads and I don't know if I ever saved it. I guess I kinda lost interest after a while. However it was fun as hell as long as it lasted :)

Dot! I didnt know you were doing this! Do you do music by yourself as well?

About the live since I have done some by myself,

Simply you got some tracks. To do a crossover you begin to tap the bpm. In house its use to be around 120-130 beats per minute. Then you start making the pre-crossover. You use the headphones to be able to hear that the tracks blends good, then you just do the crossover where you want it (easy version to make it easier for you to understand, I left out some booring details.)

You can also do some premade tracks at home to get more advance translations and maybe change the songs a bit to make it easier to keep up the "energy" in the music. This is one way to do it, ofcause you can do it in other ways.

So the challenge for guys like Avicii is to make a 2 hour set sound "uninterrupted"?

Eventually I will be as good as him in a thousand years and will try playing in front of crowds:

[video=youtube]

Damn, that guy is good...

is any of the knobs highs/lows?

• Sapphire

Damn son, that is pretty good. I atleast like it :D

but here is one of my friends songs (he is currently doing songs for a company, can't remember what, I will add it if I remember)

[video=youtube]

He does mostly electro/house tho :3 good bass

Edit: Oh, the company (or more likely a studio): Breach Records

So the challenge for guys like Avicii is to make a 2 hour set sound "uninterrupted"?

Eventually I will be as good as him in a thousand years and will try playing in front of crowds:

[video=youtube]

Damn, that guy is good...

is any of the knobs highs/lows?

That's basically what you are doing when you are playing in a festival/club to play interrupted music that blends well together, and sounds good.

And yes, there's knobs for highs, mids and lows

Guest magw33d

I mix with a couple of 1210s and a crappy behringer mixer, budget vinyl ftw.

Got a selection of mics and a mackie recording setup too, with a couple of old reverb units. I mostly circuit bend and record foley effects mind.

Hoping to get a CDJ or two soon, but its just for a bit of flavour, I'd prefer to stay vinyl tbh. It's good to not feel like a traktor scrub, no offence Dottastic ;)

Guest magw33d

It does its job :P In the future i might get some cdjs and mixer, but for now a controller does enough for me

Why not throw a couple of turntables in and add serato to it as well if you're going to run mp3s? I'm not into scratching as I mix house, but it seems a no brainer for the DnB crowd. CDJ scratching is a bit of a cop out anyway.