Server time (UTC): 2021-10-19 19:02

How to avoid KoS/RDM reports due to clan clash

-KG-

I have an idea...might work, might be abused...what if the BLUE side channel chat is enabled on the server BUT is only allowed to announce where a big firefight between two clans is located?

This will allow random people who does not want to be involved to see that it is a dangerous area and they can then immediately switch to their handgun and leave the area.

If you then DO decide to stay in the area with your PRIMARY weapon equipped you do so on your own risk and should then NOT make a report if you get killed.

What does everyone think of this?

It would lower the amount of unnecessary bans and admin work significantly if used correctly.

• Emerald

I think the sound of multiple guns firing should give away a hint.

Most of them can be heard from a long distance, I would turn around and leave the area if that happens.

If you hear a complete war in the distance you either go away, or you chose to die.

• MVP

Might work, but there's a fair chance that this could be abused. If the side channel would be enabled, there'd need to be -strict- rule enforcement of its use to prevent spam.

Also, whoever announces that there's a big fight at a certain region immidiatly makes that region a top hotspot for anyone online looking for a fight..which is like 75% of all bandits. So yeah, you'd probably see certain cities and areas be turned into a mass-fight scene. Maybe that's what some people want though, so perhaps that's not a bad thing.

I do like the idea of less innocent collateral damage though and since these messages would be -clearly- visible to everyone(the massive benefit of text), it would certainly go a long way to prevent such, at least if its repeated once in a while, to prevent fresh-loggers from walking in on the action.

• Legend

Some 'firefights' are quiet little affairs with much stealthy maneuvering and only the occasional shots fired. It's too easy to stumble into the middle of one of these. Still, for my money, that's your own tough luck. If the participants in the larger battle perceive you as an honest threat, they should be free to kill you (knowing that doing so will likely give away their position).

What if two clans are having a firefight, they announce it and a few other clans just roll up and start killing people because they know they can. This is also a RP server and just closing off an area would not really go so well. Chances are it will increase KOS reports because people will try come and get sneaky kills or get some loot, especially if they have nothing to lose.

• Emerald

I have an idea...might work, might be abused...what if the BLUE side channel chat is enabled on the server BUT is only allowed to announce where a big firefight between two clans is located?

This will allow random people who does not want to be involved to see that it is a dangerous area and they can then immediately switch to their handgun and leave the area.

If you then DO decide to stay in the area with your PRIMARY weapon equipped you do so on your own risk and should then NOT make a report if you get killed.

What does everyone think of this?

It would lower the amount of unnecessary bans and admin work significantly if used correctly.

Or use the shoutbox properly ^^ if someone peeks a look just before heading for example: Stary and quickly asks if there is a firefight going on.

• Legend

I almost never look at shoutbox while in game.

people need to pay more attention to their teammates face and their face wear.

along with pay attention to what the opposing force looks like, there are over 50 faces in this game to chose from for a reason.

I guarantee that 99% of the server couldnt tell their mate between 2 randoms out of no where with out going "HEY ANON GO PRONE SO I KNOWS IT YOU!"

i know i know "but what about people flanking that we dont know about?" start yelling in direct chat.

personally this goes back to enforcing volume turned up etc etc.

either this or dont ban people who kill innocents. its not right.

I had idea that when rmod/dayzrp mod is implemented on main server teh clan skins if present would tell who you have rights to shoot. basicalyIt would during clan fights that you only have kos rights on teh guys with same skin.

I would rather like the idea of placing markers on the map instead of an extra channel. I think it would fit in to the RP atmosphere more. People might not look at the map too much but I mean if the system were implemented I think alot more players would take a quick look before entering an area.

I do not like the idea about the shoutbox since I really should -not- be required for people to keep track of what's going on in the shoutbox while they play. I think are already too much activity regarding in game events in real time going on in shoutbox.

• Emerald

I would rather like the idea of placing markers on the map instead of an extra channel. I think it would fit in to the RP atmosphere more. People might not look at the map too much but I mean if the system were implemented I think alot more players would take a quick look before entering an area.

I do not like the idea about the shoutbox since I really should -not- be required for people to keep track of what's going on in the shoutbox while they play. I think are already too much activity regarding in game events in real time going on in shoutbox.

True I suppose..I personally use dual screen so i always got shoutbox on the other screen :P so that makes it easy for me i guess.

It's a good idea but I don't see why it's needed, it's a roleplay server. It's suppose to be realistic, people are suppose to use common sense, maturity is a big matter too. If the sound of several shots echoing through the woods doesn't put fear if someone then there's something horrible wrong. People gotta stop roleplaying Chuck Norris or Macgyver, they're history. I would rather suggest a new rule that states that if a player hears several shots being fired / sees a party of players shooting at another party of players and decides to investigate it and ends up being hit or even killed, it should be the players own fault for getting in the way / in the line of fire and a KOS report would be invalid because the player who decided to investigate made that move by himself, no one forced him to check it out.

It's a good idea but I don't see why it's needed, it's a roleplay server. It's suppose to be realistic, people are suppose to use common sense, maturity is a big matter too. If the sound of several shots echoing through the woods doesn't put fear if someone then there's something horrible wrong. People gotta stop roleplaying Chuck Norris or Macgyver, they're history. I would rather suggest a new rule that states that if a player hears several shots being fired / sees a party of players shooting at another party of players and decides to investigate it and ends up being hit or even killed, it should be the players own fault for getting in the way / in the line of fire and a KOS report would be invalid because the player who decided to investigate made that move by himself, no one forced him to check it out.

wat.

A) Someone might say there's a firefight in ie. stary even there isn't and people might stay away from that area, which gives him/her free time to loot.

B) Not everyone has a map.

C) There is already enough rules, no more is needed.

What if two clans are having a firefight, they announce it and a few other clans just roll up and start killing people because they know they can. This is also a RP server and just closing off an area would not really go so well. Chances are it will increase KOS reports because people will try come and get sneaky kills or get some loot, especially if they have nothing to lose.

This.

I wouldn't announce it for two simple reasons.

1. You don't want the enemy to know who you are (boom they check the player-list and know how many they are dealing with).

2. As Jerry said, some clans or small groups would take advantage of this, we would give away our position and that is very dangerous.

The faster we get rMod the faster this problem will be dealt with.

• MVP

This is the only way to get rid of majority of issues around here

I have to say both zeroxiz and heinz points out a few good things i didnt think of...but its just a little tiring reading all these reports of random people dying in a firefight...just PM the clan and talk to them damnit...if I kill you by mistake i will happily provide you with new gear again, and im sure all other clans will do the same...theres no need to get people banned from a mistake :)

• Emerald

I think we should leave players with a bit of common sense to rely on. Leave side chat and battle warnings out. This is a roleplaying server. Knowing what's going on on the other side of the world is unrealistic, unfair, and not fitting for the DayZ experience.

Out of this belief, I would suggest some kind of self-restriction rule where you can only contact people when you are at a radio station or something. But that would get too complicated. lol

The problem isnt really to know where a firefight is ongoing.

I'd say its really the lack of common sense of most people. Firefights are somewhat special and people tend to investigate them - Of course, sometimes you stumble into them but i cant believe, that this is the majority.

If you get shot in an hot area its your own fault.

The fighting clans know where their opponents are (not exactly) and in this case they shoot first to ensure not getting killed, which results in a punishment because some random stranger walked to the wrong side.

On the other hand this could be missused as bandits often want to kill people and I know why, cause its fun.

Its a difficult topic though and imho this cant be solved by adding a new rule or the Rmod.

• MVP

The problem isnt really to know where a firefight is ongoing.

I'd say its really the lack of common sense of most people. Firefights are somewhat special and people tend to investigate them - Of course, sometimes you stumble into them but i cant believe, that this is the majority.

If you get shot in an hot area its your own fault.

The fighting clans know where their opponents are (not exactly) and in this case they shoot first to ensure not getting killed, which results in a punishment because some random stranger walked to the wrong side.

On the other hand this could be missused as bandits often want to kill people and I know why, cause its fun.

Its a difficult topic though and imho this cant be solved by adding a new rule or the Rmod.

Im with you.

But i ensure you we never kill wrong people because it´s fun.

It´s always a bitch when you are in that awesome firefight and then, from nothing you see in Shoutbox: WHO KILLED ME??!?

W T F.

And before he even tries to contact us the report us there.

And results in a ban.

• MVP

This.

I wouldn't announce it for two simple reasons.

1. You don't want the enemy to know who you are (boom they check the player-list and know how many they are dealing with).

2. As Jerry said, some clans or small groups would take advantage of this, we would give away our position and that is very dangerous.

This.

You cannot announce a firefight. As people have stated, scavengers and other groups will roll up to the location.

People need to check what's going on and be aware of their surroundings but it also the onus of the bandits to make sure they don't kill any innocent bystanders that may have been in the area by chance.

RMOD should help this and assist in identification. The other simplest solution is check in TS or the Shoutbox for any news.