Server time (UTC): 2021-09-16 22:45

My PC got KFC'd halp!

Guest johnygt7

Guest johnygt7

Sorry for the title,always wanted to use that term though it isn't really a term.

But anyways yesterday while i was playing World of warcraft i heard a

*bam* noise not very loud and as i turned my head i saw something like an electrical flash coming out of my computer.I then turned it off normally and checked the inside in order to see if anything was burned out.However everything was in place.After i plugged the cables back in and plugged it back to electricity it wouldn't open!Anyone knows what the problem might be?

Keep in mind that it didn't shut down.Even after that noise and the spark it was functioning correctly.

Guest johnygt7

My bet it's your PSU, go to a retailer and ask if they can troubleshoot it.

I was thinking about it but why it didn't shut down automatically?

• MVP

Does it boot up at all? Could be a component on your motherboard. I have had that happen to me before. The only option was to replace the motherboard.

Could also be your PSU.

It could be your graphics card if it overheated? Take it out and try to boot it up (I know you will not get anything on your screen but it may show that your graphics card is totalled).

Best of luck.

Guest johnygt7

Does it boot up at all? Could be are component on your motherboard. I have had that happen to me before. The only option was to replace the motherboard.

Could also be your PSU.

It could be your graphics card if it overheated? Take it out and try to boot it up (I know you will not get anything on your screen but it may show that your graphics card is totalled).

Best of luck.

It doesn't boot up at all.I don't think it is the graphics card.It could be the motherboard though.

I think i'll get it to a retailer tomorrow as i don't have another motherboard or PSU to try replacing them

My bet it's your PSU, go to a retailer and ask if they can troubleshoot it.

I was thinking about it but why it didn't shut down automatically?

PSU still holds power within it for a few seconds, PSU is my thought, and hopefully just the PSU, you can simply remove the PSU and go to a retailer and they should have a tool which checks if the PSU delivers power.

• MVP

Does it boot up at all? Could be are component on your motherboard. I have had that happen to me before. The only option was to replace the motherboard.

Could also be your PSU.

Best of luck.

It doesn't boot up at all.I don't think it is the graphics card.It could be the motherboard though.

Sounds more like a fried PSU to be honest thinking about it, if it isn't coming on at all. I think it would still turn on if it was your motherboard.

You could always do the 'I will leave it for 24hrs' tactic then plug it back in. Unplug the power to the PSU and try it again tomorrow. If it still doesn't work might be time for a new PSU.

Guest johnygt7

Could also be your PSU.

Best of luck.

Sounds more like a fried PSU to be honest thinking about it, if it isn't coming on at all. I think it would still turn on if it was your motherboard.

You could always do the 'I will leave it for 24hrs' tactic then plug it back in. Unplug the power to the PSU and try it again tomorrow. If it still doesn't work might be time for a new PSU.

i don't think that tactic will work buddy! :P I left it unplugged and everything for about 10 hours.Anyway i'll get it to a retailer tomorrow and see what's going on.

Thanks for your help everybody!

• Legend

Ok so to test your power supply you need to remove the 20 or 24 pin block plug from your motherboard I will show a 20 pin just to clarifyaa4547b62a.png

You need to bridge pin 14(green wire) with any of the black ground wires so pins 3,5,7,13,15,16,17 are all viable. for ease of use its best to go from pin 14 to pin 13 as they are right next to each other.

so with paper clip in hand and without the supply being plugged into the power, push the paperclip or whatever metallic object you have into the right pins.

You can now plug your supply into the power and turn it on at the back if it has a switch on the back that is, As soon as you do it should power up, if you have Hard drives or CD drives attached they should power up and open/close etc.

I take no responsibility for you not being able to count pins correctly or blowing yourself up

Guest johnygt7

Ok so to test your power supply you need to remove the 20 or 24 pin block plug from your motherboard I will show a 20 pin just to clarifyaa4547b62a.png

You need to bridge pin 14(green wire) with any of the black ground wires so pins 3,5,7,13,15,16,17 are all viable. for ease of use its best to go from pin 14 to pin 13 as they are right next to each other.

so with paper clip in hand and without the supply being plugged into the power, push the paperclip or whatever metallic object you have into the right pins.

You can now plug your supply into the power and turn it on at the back if it has a switch on the back that is, As soon as you do it should power up, if you have Hard drives or CD drives attached they should power up and open/close etc.

I take no responsibility for you not being able to count pins correctly or blowing yourself up

eeh i think i'll leave that for the retailer tomorrow, as hardware engineering is not my

thing.And we wouldn't want a fried john job now would we? :P