Server time (UTC): 2021-09-25 13:25

Feeling akward when I rp

I played on the server today for the first time, and I felt akward when rping today because I felt they were doing it at such a higher level than me. Can anyone give me some tips and advice on rping? My character is an ex army ranger who is also a top notch scientist who's daughter and wife turned, he locked them in his hotel room hoping to find/make a cure

• Sapphire

I felt the same way at first.

Try to find a character style you can imitate quite easily that is what i did to start off with and it eventually gets easier.

If you know what your character would do/say/react to most situations its easier to pull off good RP in nearly every given situation.

Take me for example i effectively play "myself" yet i still get praised for my high level of RP every now and again even though im doing nothing more than answering exactly how i would in real life.

Play to your strengths in short

you got a loud voice? like to shout? an aggressive character is for you.

Know a lot about guns and military protocol? Soldier could be a good one.

You get were im going with this

• Emerald

I would start by picking a realistic character to RP as. For instance I picked myself for my first character which made things a lot more natural since I could use my history as my story. I would suggest doing the same and making a character you can relate to more, even if it's yourself.

• Diamond

Roleplaying always feels silly at first, try doing it through text first to get your bearings before going into voice, sometimes typing it out is more comfortable then explaining how your feeling through voice.

So I should to a 17 year old who works in auto detailing?? Lol

Roleplaying always feels silly at first, try doing it through text first to get your bearings before going into voice, sometimes typing it out is more comfortable then explaining how your feeling through voice.

I'm so used to rping as a cop tho

• Sapphire

So I should to a 17 year old who works in auto detailing?? Lol

I'm so used to rping as a cop tho

Not necessarily but you could if you wanted to.

Try to start simple then work your way in.

As i said above play to your strengths

Play as cop then? you can do that if you wanted to i know its been done before

Let the roleplay flow through you. The best advice I could probably give is maybe RP as yourself? You know? Act how you think you would in an apocalypse. These have probably already been said, but oh well. Another good idea from Sov would be to use text, you should also use emotes, for example *takes water bottle from backpack, unscrewing the lid and filling it with the murky pond water*. These can enhance your RP. This way, you can speak if you feel like it and always text. So you don't have to be reliant on it!

Let the roleplay flow through you. The best advice I could probably give is maybe RP as yourself? You know? Act how you think you would in an apocalypse. These have probably already been said, but oh well. Another good idea from Sov would be to use text, you should also use emotes, for example *takes water bottle from backpack, unscrewing the lid and filling it with the murky pond water*. These can enhance your RP. This way, you can speak if you feel like it and always text. So you don't have to be reliant on it!

I type out certain actions as much as possible

• Sapphire

Can you give us a bit more information on what is making you feel awkward?

Do you feel scared talking to people for example? I know i was

Do you just feel like you're not up to the same standard as everyone else?

Give us a bit more info and we can help more :)

RP because you want to, not because you have to.

Looking up to others and trying to improve is a good thing, yes, but don't force yourself to RP in a certain way "just cause it's better". You'll soon enough get used to it and form your own way of RPing, something that you're comfortable with

Just RP something you're comfortable with, slowly you'll start picking up from other people you meet. When I first came here, I was just as awkward around people, but it just takes time, especially for someone that hasn't RP'd ever before.

Don't force yourself to do things you don't think you can't do, or else it will just be extremely hard and a little more awkward. Your RP will improve over time slowly, and you may not even notice it. :)

• MVP

Like Moxy said, rp someone who is a copy or is similar to you at first. This will help you get used to this strange thing called "Roleplay" It might be easier, once you have matured in your rp a bit, to add on to the rp that your character typically does.

For example, come up with a trinket your character carries around. This could be a nostalgic item to your character. An old scar, a secret, or a troubled past help you fully flesh out your rp, and make it more interesting.

Take baby steps, then get bigger.

GL!

Can you give us a bit more information on what is making you feel awkward?

Do you feel scared talking to people for example? I know i was

Do you just feel like you're not up to the same standard as everyone else?

Give us a bit more info and we can help more :)

I fell like I'm almost ruining some players experoances with how I'm rping. I think I might take a day or 2 not play and just watch some of aytonhunters videos since he does it quiet well same as the people he plays with

• Sapphire

Couldn't off been as awkward when I first started DayZRP

• Sapphire

When I first started playing here, I was really keen to try it out. Then I saw someone for the first time (ended up persuading me to join SASR, best thing I ever did) and i was terrified. I had no idea what to say,what to do. But he took me to the desal plant (rip<3) and I started to enjoy myself and I got used to roleplaying.

When I started playing as russians/chernarussians, thats when things got a bit complex.

The accent.

I was shitting my pants whenever I started talking to somebody because I didn't know what they would think of me.

"What the fuck is he doing? is he trying to be russian? he's horrible!"

But alas, the more I did it, the more confident I got with it. I also found that using a gas mask voice changer helps a bit too because it doesn't comepletely sound like you, so most people won't know its you. Specially if you're doing an accent aswell.

TL;DR: Start simple. Make your way to more complicated characters and backstories and you will have a great time here.

Just my personal experience :)

• Sapphire

What I usually do is, for example if you play a Russian character, learn a few words in Russian like: hello,bye,thank you, etc.

Find some music that fits your character, and play it in your background while roleplaying so you feel a bit more into it.

Think like it is real life, and what would your character do in certain situations, his actions, what he would say and so on.

I felt that too while first playing my Kasumi character. I wasn't 100% sure how it was going to go down and I didn't know exactly what I was going to RP off of. Turns out all I had to do was RP for a while and everything falls into place. And for my first character, well I never felt very awkward because Zeke is a manifestation of myself. To put it in my own words Zeke is a character that breaks the boundaries of the dream and the reality. If you really feel that bad then just react how you would react IRL, and eventually when you feel confident enough expand from that.

I still feel like that when I RP. A good way to get to know your character is to write a journal from their point of view, even if you're not a good writer you can just type it out on a word document. I think that it helps because it allows you to get some time to think about how your character would react to certain situations without the pressure of making it enjoyable to others. I hope that this helps!

A great place to start with a character is to basically play as yourself. It's the most comfortable way to go. You know how to act and react in many situations because you know yourself best.

After that I don't know. What worked for me was after my first character I jumped straight in to something pretty alien to my actual self. I'm usually pretty calm but my current character (and my favorite) shouts a lot and can generally be an ass hole when he needs to be. Playing as Desmond is great practice for me.

Some people might tell you to take baby steps but I say jump straight on in with something you are a bit uncomfortable with. It adds to the thrill of it and will benefit you in the long run. :)

As everyone else has said. Play yourself first or something close to you. It's the easiest way to do it man. :)

You'll get there bud, RP is hard for everyone at first unless you have done RP before this. Keep at it, You will get there over time. You have an awesome community also to be able to ask questions and opinions. Don't ever feel uncomfortable here, and we are always here to help. :)

• Legend

There is a danger though when playing/RPing as your self. One could argue that it is not even Roleplaying, since it is just you playing you, not as some other character what you have created. The danger part comes when for example someone insults your character in game, you might take that as an insult against your self since your character is you. Sounds complicated? Yes it might, but I hope you get what I mean with this :)

The most important thing with RP is that you can separate your self from your character. That way there will hopefully never be OOC hate from the actions what happens in game.

So as so many have already suggested, play your character as your self but take my advice also and still try to separate him from your self enough so that you don't feel offended OOC when someone does or says something to your character in game :)

When I first started up on DayZRP I came with a extensive background in RP with various other games that did not ever use voice... I was solely a text or forum-based RP kind of person.. I then got into tabletop RPG games and it forced me to start really thinking about characters in a more animated way.. voice... how they sound, etc...

DayZRP still was very difficult for me to get used to... I started playing the game with some old clanmates of mine from standard DayZ mod and when i first created the character "Willy Whiskey Pete" I was literally told by my clan mate

"You are not a very convincing hobo, Lue... just saying..."

It actually kind of stung at first because I was trying pretty hard to get into the character and sound convincing to people... It actually for a moment made me think about giving up on it and going a different route... Instead, I pushed on and just kept at it and practiced over time... thinking more and more about how a old man or a hobo would speak... I have spent a long time developing the character and making it what it is today, and frankly, nobody expects perfection from someone new... don't sweat that...

Think of it this way... This character you are making now is your trial run... DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO!!!!... I cannot stress this enough... Don't limit yourself based on what you think you can and cannot do... If I had listened to my clan mates harsh criticism and took it to heart and let it discourage me, I would NOT be here today still playing Willy Pete... A character that I cherish dearly and LOVE playing for so many reasons...

I knew it was the character I wanted to play, and despite being really crappy at it, at first... I stuck with it...

I recommend you do the same... Keep at it and you WILL get better...

Nobody is going to remember how bad you USED to be... people will always remember how good you ARE once you get it down ;)

I suggest starting really slow. A lot of new people want to jump in and go crazy robbing people. Play a realistic character. I would always start off as a survivor role. Find out what your strengths are as well as your weaknesses. You do not want to play a super soldier badass with no flaws because then you just get burnt out quickly. Dont be afraid to role play with everyone you meet. You will make friends as well as be robbed a few times. Hang around people with that are really good role players. Pay attention to how they do things and what they say. Trust me every good role player on this server was once new to this role play thing. Dont expect to jump right in and expect to pull off an academy award winning performance. This stuff takes time and if you stick with it and surround yourself with good people you will progressively get better. Role playing is an art form and when you log into game you should always ask yourself what you are going to do to entertain other people.

I remember my first time role playing was a bit awkward and I was kind of bad. I always approach role playing like this. Pretend this is a zombie movie and you are the star of the show. Bottom line is nobody expects perfection and dont be afraid to try new things. Good luck and if you have any questions always feel free to PM me.

Good Luck

Guest magw33d

I remember when I first started I was playing with Shakya and it was the most awkward thing. We both knew each other from before we found DayZRP so I found it near enough impossible to roleplay with him without bursting out laughing. The only way I could do proper IC stuff was when someone from our group wasn't there.

That's all changed now. A year later and I have no trouble breaking character in-game with anyone around me. You'll get it eventually, if you practice enough.