Server time (UTC): 2021-09-20 20:12

Writing your name on a piece of paper

I personally hate when people ask this. I just told you my name, said I dont own an ID, and then you ask me to write my name on a piece of paper. What the hell does writing my name on a piece of paper tell you. This can only result in metagaming by the person seeing if you have any clan tags on you.

• Emerald

When people do this, I tend to say "Okay then, click the pen on. My name is."

Then out-loud shout "M... A.... R.... K.... Add a little gap there J.... O.... H....N....S....O....N"

Then I say to them I've done it and I've written down my name without typing it in chat for them to metagame.

Then out-loud shout "M... A.... R.... K.... Add a little gap there J.... O.... H....N....S....O....N"

Then I say to them I've done it and I've written down my name without typing it in chat for them to metagame.

I personally think it shouldnt be aloud though because of the only possible outcome from it metagaming.

• MVP

The main use of it is to show XML badges for skins that don't show XML tags when lack of ID is provided.

It can be a little sucky and people that require it to be the first thing they ask for when they meet a person should seriously rethink their RP approach.

Well in a firefight of course someone would ask for this. For example SVR are fighting CLF, someone with a random skin comes across and starts looking at you, first thing you will probably say is who are you, etc...

Well in a firefight of course someone would ask for this. For example SVR are fighting CLF, someone with a random skin comes across and starts looking at you, first thing you will probably say is who are you, etc...

I guess it makes sense then, but if its just a normal encounter it shouldnt be aloud.

• Emerald

This is why I think the [clan tag] should be removed from people's name. It makes it so some people any emote via text without blowing their identity, and emoting can be a grey RP factor for immersion.

This is why I think the [clan tag] should be removed from people's name. It makes it so some people any emote via text without blowing their identity, and emoting can be a grey RP factor for immersion.

I agree with you there.

Guest Ketamine

But then the people pretend that you haven't given it to them, because you didn't type it. For example I remember when someone asked me to write my name on paper ect. I said IG "Okay M...a...r...t...y...m H...o...n...z...i...k, here you go mate" and he stood there saying "Go on give it to me then." What am I supposed to do in this situation?

Guest magw33d

This is where the whole argument for clanskins stems from...

• Community Manager

My advice is to refuse to do it. I never give ID, it's terrible roleplay.

This is where the whole argument for clanskins stems from...

Sadly clanskins would never happen. Unless the clan leader pays a certain amount for the clan to be able to use it. Rolle would like that :) (joking about the last sentence)

I agree that asking for ID can get a bit annoying at times, theres plenty of RP ways to avoid it. That as well as I think occasionaly people mistake what others are saying when they are asking for ID. When I ask for ID Im not asking for someone to write down their name or anything I rather say "can you please ID yourself?" ID meaning identify. This of course causes some people to take out an Identification Card when really just saying their name would be fine. But this being said, there are two sides to every story.

1. There are many more, cooler, ways to get clan relations than asking for ID. You could run a back round check amongst your friends, because after all it is a small apocolypse, and odds are someone knows someone who knows someone who know the person being id'd. Either that or you could just simply see if their tags are showing.

2. Being ID'd doesnt mean you just have to sit there and bicker about why you dont carry any sort of identification. Instead try and come up with some funny RP reason why you cant have ID or your ID may not be legit. For instance, last night an FMDS member mentioned that perhaps a character could be illiterate, and hand crafted an ID that even misspells his own name wrong (this idea was brought up after someone was bitching about how Kakan's name was no Capitalized, thus someone saying that perhaps hes illiterate?). You can just as easily avoid the identification process if you come up with a good enough RP reason. Just because someone elses RP is bad, doesnt mean yours has to be bad as well.

3. Why try to avoid it? Yes, you know that the person is most likely going to meta-game and find out what clan youre in, but who cares? Unless youre constantly worried about enemy clans, in which case I believe youre doing something wrong, Why does it matter that fucking much that they know what clan you are in?

4. ID stands for the variants of the word identify. Going back to what I said earlier, just because someone asks for ID doesnt mean you have to pull out a legal Driver's license. RPly Even the big clans need help identifying themselves from the rest of the pack, or else spys could just infiltrate groups based on the way they look. So maybe you dont have a Drivers License, but RPly there is probably someway that they should be able to identify who youre associated with. If not whats even the point of having clans or XMLs?

30257.jpg

I agree that asking for ID can get a bit annoying at times, theres plenty of RP ways to avoid it. That as well as I think occasionaly people mistake what others are saying when they are asking for ID. When I ask for ID Im not asking for someone to write down their name or anything I rather say "can you please ID yourself?" ID meaning identify. This of course causes some people to take out an Identification Card when really just saying their name would be fine. But this being said, there are two sides to every story.

1. There are many more, cooler, ways to get clan relations than asking for ID. You could run a back round check amongst your friends, because after all it is a small apocolypse, and odds are someone knows someone who knows someone who know the person being id'd. Either that or you could just simply see if their tags are showing.

2. Being ID'd doesnt mean you just have to sit there and bicker about why you dont carry any sort of identification. Instead try and come up with some funny RP reason why you cant have ID or your ID may not be legit. For instance, last night an FMDS member mentioned that perhaps a character could be illiterate, and hand crafted an ID that even misspells his own name wrong (this idea was brought up after someone was bitching about how Kakan's name was no Capitalized, thus someone saying that perhaps hes illiterate?). You can just as easily avoid the identification process if you come up with a good enough RP reason. Just because someone elses RP is bad, doesnt mean yours has to be bad as well.

3. Why try to avoid it? Yes, you know that the person is most likely going to meta-game and find out what clan youre in, but who cares? Unless youre constantly worried about enemy clans, in which case I believe youre doing something wrong, Why does it matter that fucking much that they know what clan you are in?

4. ID stands for the variants of the word identify. Going back to what I said earlier, just because someone asks for ID doesnt mean you have to pull out a legal Driver's license. RPly Even the big clans need help identifying themselves from the rest of the pack, or else spys could just infiltrate groups based on the way they look. So maybe you dont have a Drivers License, but RPly there is probably someway that they should be able to identify who youre associated with. If not whats even the point of having clans or XMLs?

30257.jpg

Good points

I agree with you there.

I agree and it can be done when all skins show patches. Now one just has an advantage over the other and what you suggest only exploits that even more.

• MVP

I get the problem, but there's an RP solution to most problems.

For example, I was with a few members of the Fallen, who all don't really carry ID.

So we were sat in our bus for a good few moments, as Conor and Staggs were trying to convince the CTC that they were "legitimate", even giving different names and showing shoddy pictures as ID (As I can remember anyways).

Hell, when I came up to the CTC, I don't have any ID, all I have is my camera, so I always put on the act that I have a camera around my neck, hence I must be a director, HENCE I say I am 'Ayton Hunter, Famous Director throughout the Wasteland" and by that point they've had enough, and believe me!

No matter when a situation like this happens, you should always try and find a RP reason to get around any sort of metagaming. Plus it's always more fun that way!

I agree with you there.

I agree and it can be done when all skins show patches. Now one just has an advantage over the other and what you suggest only exploits that even more.

Pretty much this. The clan tags are needed because otherwise, its impossible to ID people properly without seeing the badge. Since a lot of skins simply don't show the badge, seeing a tag is the same as seeing the badge.

Want to say, if you're interacting with people, they're most likely close enough to see a potential badge, so if you're roleplaying it out, it shouldn't be a problem.

On topic: My character doesn't writes his name on a piece of paper, dafuq. He isn't an idiot and so people shouldn't treat him like one.

Sorry but demanding ID (or writing *ID* in chat) isn't good roleplay. Ofcourse, you can ask people to identify themself.

But 1) First name is more than enough for friendly interaction, sometimes i don't even tell them my name. It's more realistic than telling everyone everything about you.

2) 2 Years after the apocalypse, you can't expect people to have any kind of official ID. Sorry but most of my characters simply don't have any offcial documents anymore. Maybe theres still some stuff at the places where they lived before, but after a while, when you accepted that all structurs are gone, ID is something i wouldn't really care about anymore. Loosing it during fights, getting robbed ("Drop your backpack"), changing of cloths ect shouldn't be too hard.

Point 1&2 are the reasons why i don't give ID, it just makes no RP sense at all

3) Don't ask anyone to write his name down, it makes no sense -.-

4) If someone tells you a fake name, then stop metagaming by seeing their true names. If he told you his name over voicechat, stop asking him to "write it down" so you CAN metagame it.

Stop using you 1337-h4xx0r-laser-eyes to see whether a ID looks faked or not. You don't know how a saxon fishing license or library card looks like.

And YES, that actually means accepting and using this name for him.

If someone wants proof that you are part of a certain clan then think of something and RP it out. Dogtags, Clan-IDs, Badges ect. In Yggdrasil, we had a amulet-thingy cutted out of wood

• Emerald

I personally hate when people ask this. I just told you my name, said I dont own an ID, and then you ask me to write my name on a piece of paper. What the hell does writing my name on a piece of paper tell you. This can only result in metagaming by the person seeing if you have any clan tags on you.

When I play ctc its for a log to see who entered. People lie all the time. Doesnt matter to me if its a w4ong name. But however you better remember the name you gave me and give me the same one next time. Cause when I make you write it down I acctually write it down. I dont understand when other people do it for id. Have you write it down. I can understand for gaining acess where the name gets added to record though. Ctc log the names of all who enter tp.

out in the world it pisses me off. Sweetjoe has no id.

I agree with you there.

Pretty much this. The clan tags are needed because otherwise, its impossible to ID people properly without seeing the badge. Since a lot of skins simply don't show the badge, seeing a tag is the same as seeing the badge.

Want to say, if you're interacting with people, they're most likely close enough to see a potential badge, so if you're roleplaying it out, it shouldn't be a problem.

On topic: My character doesn't writes his name on a piece of paper, dafuq. He isn't an idiot and so people shouldn't treat him like one.

Sorry but demanding ID (or writing *ID* in chat) isn't good roleplay. Ofcourse, you can ask people to identify themself.

But 1) First name is more than enough for friendly interaction, sometimes i don't even tell them my name. It's more realistic than telling everyone everything about you.

2) 2 Years after the apocalypse, you can't expect people to have any kind of official ID. Sorry but most of my characters simply don't have any offcial documents anymore. Maybe theres still some stuff at the places where they lived before, but after a while, when you accepted that all structurs are gone, ID is something i wouldn't really care about anymore. Loosing it during fights, getting robbed ("Drop your backpack"), changing of cloths ect shouldn't be too hard.

Point 1&2 are the reasons why i don't give ID, it just makes no RP sense at all

3) Don't ask anyone to write his name down, it makes no sense -.-

4) If someone tells you a fake name, then stop metagaming by seeing their true names. If he told you his name over voicechat, stop asking him to "write it down" so you CAN metagame it.

Stop using you 1337-h4xx0r-laser-eyes to see whether a ID looks faked or not. You don't know how a saxon fishing license or library card looks like.

And YES, that actually means accepting and using this name for him.

If someone wants proof that you are part of a certain clan then think of something and RP it out. Dogtags, Clan-IDs, Badges ect. In Yggdrasil, we had a amulet-thingy cutted out of wood

I personally hate the people who say I have a fake ID when I type one in chat. I would understand if that persons previous job involved Iding people, but an average joe couldnt tell a real from a fake most of the time.

When I play ctc its for a log to see who entered. People lie all the time. Doesnt matter to me if its a w4ong name. But however you better remember the name you gave me and give me the same one next time. Cause when I make you write it down I acctually write it down. I dont understand when other people do it for id. Have you write it down. I can understand for gaining acess where the name gets added to record though. Ctc log the names of all who enter tp.

out in the world it pisses me off. Sweetjoe has no id.

Makes sense for the CTC, but in a conversation anywhere else it dosnt make sense.

• Emerald

exactly.