Server time: 2017-10-23, 17:09
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Heroz_Nick

TP gate "Breaking mid-conversation"

Heroz_Nick    21

This has happened to me quite a few times before, I was standing guard on the TP gate to lend out a hand and make sure people are allowed too and from the TP freely.

However in some instances while I am introducing myself and saying there is "no CTC present currently", usually followed by "You understand the rules of the Trade post?" [implying they know not to enter if they are currently hostile to anyone] After that I gladly open the gate for them.

Someone usually comes from behind me or in-front of the gate to try and open it whilst mid-conversation, this is obviously inconsiderate and Fail RP. Not asking for someone's birth certificate or license *trollface*...just simply 2 statements that take up less than 20 seconds of your time.

Regardless if you know the person at the gate or not, let them RP it out. Just thought I'd throw that out there because no-one likes to be caught in an awkward situation.

Cheers for reading.

Guest MisFit   
Guest MisFit

True , i thought of that too...some people are just breaking the immersion of the roleplay regardless the person standing at the guard post is not CTc. Let them RP , that's why we're in this community.

SatansNightOut    105

I just feel like the trade post has become more of a public area where traders come and go freely.

I mean, it seems rather pointless to stop every single person that comes to the trade post at the gate. I could see if you were searching for dangerous items (WMDs? xD), or drugs (which is a different conversation altogether, mind you), but despite the fact that we are in the apocalypse, it'd be rather odd to have to get stopped every time I wanted to go to the "mall" (trade post) to go shopping.

Burgz    6

Hmm. I see what you're saying, but if you are only a civilian, what's to stop their character thinking: 'Open the gate for me comrade, I don't need to talk to this dipshit'. (Not calling you a dipshit, just trying to put myself in the character:P)

It was like being a CR at a settlement, you had to expect crap from people so for you as a civ its going to be worse. That's just the way it is I think buddy, unless you got a pretty badge and a uniform...I don't think anyone is going to care.

Heroz_Nick    21

15 seconds...less than that :L you can see were Im coming from though right, seems silly not to wait 10 secs for friendly conversation, even when Im saying "Hi" I moved towards the gate to open it...

SatansNightOut    105

15 seconds...less than that :L you can see were Im coming from though right, seems silly not to wait 10 secs for friendly conversation, even when Im saying "Hi" I moved towards the gate to open it...

Take into account that sometimes there's a LOT of chatter (both voice and text) and sometimes friendly "hellos" or what-not can be lost in all the din. :)

This is an RP server if your in the server everything you should do should be RP even the slightest and most inconvenient of things you should RP . People need to start having more patience when it comes to RP i notice that lately when i have been on it always seems to be a rush and everyone just wants to move on to the next conflict rather than taking the time to play out something to its utmost .

Patience is a virtue :)

Guest Icy   
Guest Icy

My only experiences in TP's gate is people literaly typing "Hey, show ID" "Ok, get in"

I'm not surprised someone didn't try to RP as most of the times there is no RP at the gate

Heroz_Nick    21

This is an RP server if your in the server everything you should do should be RP even the slightest and most inconvenient of things you should RP . People need to start having more patience when it comes to RP i notice that lately when i have been on it always seems to be a rush and everyone just wants to move on to the next conflict rather than taking the time to play out something to its utmost .

Patience is a virtue :)

Amen. :P

Guest TehGreekGamer   
Guest TehGreekGamer

This doesn't makes any sense for me, you shouldn't even been doing that. You have no authority what so ever to play guard on the door. Nobody has answer to you. I would ask you if you were a CTC member if not I would just said waved to you and just get in. You are a civilian inside the TP, just a guest nothing more.

Silas    11

This happened earlier, me and my guys turned up at the gate and somebody started explaining that no CTC were here etc. then while he is mid-sentence some guy walks over and opens the gate, and they are forced to move out of the way, breaking off his RP.

This doesn't makes any sense for me, you shouldn't even been doing that. You have no authority what so ever to play guard on the door. Nobody has answer to you. I would ask you if you were a CTC member if not I would just said waved to you and just get in. You are a civilian inside the TP, just a guest nothing more.

Now this is exactly my point above you are rule playing rather than role playing , you should play it out ask him why he is asking you , who put him in charge , what authority does he have to do that , what can you do to make it better /convince him its ok .

But instead you wave and ignore basically and walk past , he is trying to get some RP of a situation and you just blow it off coz thats not the rules of the camp.

Again i ask be patient play it out make it fun for you and for him .

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

Now this is exactly my point above you are rule playing rather than role playing , you should play it out ask him why he is asking you , who put him in charge , what authority does he have to do that , what can you do to make it better /convince him its ok .

But instead you wave and ignore basically and walk past , he is trying to get some RP of a situation and you just blow it off coz thats not the rules of the camp.

Ruleplaying? Nope.

What if someones character doesn't like to submit to authority? They certainly are not going to submit to a false authority who have the gate shut, which does nothing but obstruct his business.

Im guessing the people arriving are there to trade, so being obstructed at the gate for no reason does nothing but delay their business.

Perhaps the OP should leave the TP, also known as the trading post if he is not going to trade. You could easily try and make your own settlement if you want to play gate guard all day.

This whole thread seems selfish anyway. Are you annoyed because people will not partake in your desire to play gate guard? Even though they recognize you as someone with no authority and do not have to.

Burgz    6

Why does everybody assume that the only RP is that of being friendly and talking to people? Even if someone blows you off they're RPing, its their attitude and their feelings. Just because they haven't asked you how nice your day has been doesn't mean that they aren't roleplaying.

Ruleplaying? Nope.

What if someones character doesn't like to submit to authority? They certainly are not going to submit to a false authority who have the gate shut, which does nothing but obstruct his business.

Im guessing the people arriving are there to trade, so being obstructed at the gate for no reason does nothing but delay their business.

Perhaps the OP should leave the TP, also known as the trading post if he is not going to trade. You could easily try and make your own settlement if you want to play gate guard all day.

This whole thread seems selfish anyway. Are you annoyed because people will not partake in your desire to play gate guard? Even though they recognize you as someone with no authority and do not have to.

Ok you are missing the point i didn't say you have to submit to anyones authority its just a RP scenario that you could play out rather than just laugh and walk off . Use your imagination .

Also i never said anyone has to be friendly and give each other fuzzy hugs (unless thats your thing) but just RP out whatever comes to you not just ignore and move on coz thats not the rule. Expand your experience and make it worth while .

Heroz_Nick    21

guys your missing the point, I'm not saying for anyone to submit to me or listen to me..I'm simply saying 15 seconds can resolve a misunderstanding...How do I know they are friendly towards those inside the TP? am I a mind reader lol no. I'm simply saying patience is necessary...I'm not trying to play guard, I'm trying to keep people Alive! or rather would people prefer we leave the gate open so the infected can come in to have a drink & have a social :P

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

Why does everybody assume that the only RP is that of being friendly and talking to people? Even if someone blows you off they're RPing, its their attitude and their feelings. Just because they haven't asked you how nice your day has been doesn't mean that they aren't roleplaying.

So much this.

If someone comes up to me near TP or blocks me at the gate, I will most likely tell them to "fuck off" or say something like "Did I ask for a conversation?".

I go to TP when I need to trade, anything else just obstructs my business. Not everyone is a carebare and will take time out of their day to have a conversation that doesnt interest them. Doing that would actually break RP if it doesnt make sense for your character.

People need to stop being overly friendly. Would you run up to everyone anywhere else? Or do you all just do it because you know its safe for you in TP? The same can be applied to the OP playing gate guard. Would you go and do the same at some random PCB or a highly populated area on the map where there is no safe zone? I doubt you will.

Ok you are missing the point i didn't say you have to submit to anyones authority its just a RP scenario that you could play out rather than just laugh and walk off . Use your imagination .

I didnt say you have to submit to anything, I was using an example of what someones character may be like. I think you missed my point.

Laughing and walking off is more than acceptable if that is how your character behaves. There is no reason for your character to sit and amuse some random who wants to play gate guard. It all depends on your character, if everyone stopped to go along with the OP's desire to play gate guard, they would essentially be breaking character, as they would be doing something their character wouldnt normally do.

using your imagination is pointless if what you think of doing conflicts with what your character should do.

Also i never said anyone has to be friendly and give each other fuzzy hugs (unless thats your thing) but just RP out whatever comes to you not just ignore and move on coz thats not the rule. Expand your experience and make it worth while .

Neither did I? You are putting words into my mouth. I mentioned nothing of being friendly in my argument which you responded too.

Tell me how ignoring some random guy at the gate is not RPing it out? If its a rule or not doesnt have anything to do with it. Its all about what your character would do, if he wants to talk to someone playing gate guard, then talk. if he doesnt, then simply ignore them and move along.

Guest TehGreekGamer   
Guest TehGreekGamer

As said above I think that this post is kinda selfish. I'm don't hate you or anything I really like that you tried to help out at the TP but it doesn't makes sense even in-game. You are not a CTC guard unless you have been authorized by high ranking CTC members. I suggest you should stop this because it can cause some misunderstanding between players.

Heroz_Nick    21

______

You've gone waaaay too far into it mate, I'm not asking to see his ID, I'm simply saying hello, you know the rules of the TP *WHILST moving towards the gate to open it*

think perhaps you need to be careful about accusing people of being "selfish" because the main reason this discussion was open to see everyone's point of view. there was no malice involved regarding a 10 second conversation. I find it laughable that you believe I have some sort of secret agenda to be a Guard in disguise rather than actually be useful and help people out....I'll bear that in mind next time.

So much this.

If someone comes up to me near TP or blocks me at the gate, I will most likely tell them to "fuck off" or say something like "Did I ask for a conversation?".

I go to TP when I need to trade, anything else just obstructs my business. Not everyone is a carebare and will take time out of their day to have a conversation that doesnt interest them. Doing that would actually break RP if it doesnt make sense for your character.

People need to stop being overly friendly. Would you run up to everyone anywhere else? Or do you all just do it because you know its safe for you in TP? The same can be applied to the OP playing gate guard. Would you go and do the same at some random PCB or a highly populated area on the map where there is no safe zone? I doubt you will.

I didnt say you have to submit to anything, I was using an example of what someones character may be like. I think you missed my point.

Laughing and walking off is more than acceptable if that is how your character behaves. There is no reason for your character to sit and amuse some random who wants to play gate guard. It all depends on your character, if everyone stopped to go along with the OP's desire to play gate guard, they would essentially be breaking character, as they would be doing something their character wouldnt normally do.

using your imagination is pointless if what you think of doing conflicts with what your character should do.

Neither did I? You are putting words into my mouth. I mentioned nothing of being friendly in my argument which you responded too.

Tell me how ignoring some random guy at the gate is not RPing it out? If its a rule or not doesnt have anything to do with it. Its all about what your character would do, if he wants to talk to someone playing gate guard, then talk. if he doesnt, then simply ignore them and move along.

John , the second point i made was to another post under yours not you so dont take it personally.

Guest TehGreekGamer   
Guest TehGreekGamer

______

You've gone waaaay too far into it mate, I'm not asking to see his ID, I'm simply saying hello, you know the rules of the TP *WHILST moving towards the gate to open it*

think perhaps you need to be careful about accusing people of being "selfish" because the main reason this discussion was open to see everyone's point of view. there was no malice involved regarding a 10 second conversation. I find it laughable that you believe I have some sort of secret agenda to be a Guard in disguise rather than actually be useful and help people out....I'll bear that in mind next time.

Im sorry dude i didnt want by any way to offend you. Sometimes i want to describe something but i cant the way i want. My english are not the best.

Guest Whazmeister   
Guest Whazmeister

It all comes down to this

Are you CTC?

[align=left]NO? dont act like it

[align=right]yes? cool

If you're not CTC you should either be doing something worthy in the TP, or not be there at all. Sitting in the TP all day acting like CTC is not what the TradePost should be for.

Dowsey    0

My character doesn't Trust anyone they meet, they don't necessarily want to chat with everyone they see. They had a hard time in Chernerus and haven't quite found a coping method. My character doesn't carry ID either... That's how my character is. For me, walking past you at the gate is something my character would do, it's part of the roleplay. Not everyone roleplays in the same way, and you can't expect them to do so...

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

I find it laughable that you believe I have some sort of secret agenda to be a Guard in disguise rather than actually be useful and help people out....I'll bear that in mind next time.

Well, how exactly is it helping anyone out? If people dont know the TP rules, they shouldnt be playing on the server until they read the rules. If they wish to learn IC, then they should ask a CTC member. Not have random people ask them if they know rules which they have no power to enforce.

Why do you even go to TP? You are quite clearly playing the role of a gate guard, which is not what the TP is for. Its for trading.

EDIT:

think perhaps you need to be careful about accusing people of being "selfish" because the main reason this discussion was open to see everyone's point of view.

If you are not being selfish, do not accuse people of being "inconsiderate" when they dont want to play gate guard with you.

Heroz_Nick    21

I find it laughable that you believe I have some sort of secret agenda to be a Guard in disguise rather than actually be useful and help people out....I'll bear that in mind next time.

Well, how exactly is it helping anyone out? If people dont know the TP rules, they shouldnt be playing on the server until they read the rules. If they wish to learn IC, then they should ask a CTC member. Not have random people ask them if they know rules which they have no power to enforce.

Why do you even go to TP? You are quite clearly playing the role of a gate guard, which is not what the TP is for. Its for trading.

really think I spend my time guarding a gate 24/7?...no, I do trade mate quite a lot actually, people always come up to me and ask, soooo there we go. :| not much else I can say on that