Server time: 2017-10-21, 05:04
Safe Zone: CLOSING SOON

Sign in to follow this  
Samdo123

Russian RP

Samdo123    0

I recently returned to DayZRP and after my first time arriving at the new Trade Post I mad a live defining choice for my new character from the Russian Federation. He was only going to speak in Russian, I expected people would just get pissed then I would stop. But people seemed to enjoy it and came to me to RP. I even met someone in the trade post that acted as my translator. I have an RP with a facist, a communist, a doctor, a cherno-russian, all different kinds of people. It was one of the best actual RP experiences I have had in a long time. I wasn't even speaking the same language as them. I had a feeling that this was just a lucky one time thing for me, so to make validate this claim I have a question. What do you guys think about people doing real RP in a language that isn't English? Will it upset you, will it interest you, ect.

RoCKiE    0

I have nothing against it, but it still kind of feels wrong to me if I start talking in german ingame ;)

Oh and welcome back Sam :D

Buck99    0

I think its cool as long as people dont try to fake it and make up some shit and say that its russian or something

Samdo123    0

I think its cool as long as people dont try to fake it and make up some shit and say that its russian or something

That's an issue I saw. Someone came in later after I had been doing my Russian and had began to speak what they called Arabic when it was clearly not.

ZettaByte    0

Well.. Let's just say - if I were to encounter a person who will insist on speaking fluent russian to me, ill speak to him back because I know russian. But if a person would come to me and just jibber jabber some weird shit to me, i'll probably get a bit annoyed.

I mean to use a word here and there it's fine. But speaking only the odd language.. Its wrong.

I guess you just have to be wary when it comes to making your character not understand English. I remember a case not long ago where (correct me if I'm wrong) someone tried to use his character not knowing English as an excuse to not comply to an initiation. Aside from that there's good RP potential in the idea of speaking another language. :P

Guest John Le Bear   
Guest John Le Bear

I like it, aslong as your character can speak English to some extent. Its a bit odd if someone initiates on you and you understand perfectly, yet when you come to talk to them you are suddenly speaking Russian.

ZettaByte    0

I'd rather have someone speak real Russian to me, then the whole comrade, capitalist dogpig schtick.

Trust me. Real russian is way worse. The amount of synonyms for each swearword is huge. And the problem? Russian without swearwords is no Russian at all.

Alan Woods    4

When people use a different language from English it just makes me more interested!

I remember having my first Watcher character talking part English, part French :D

Ancalagon    0

It's fine as long as it's

1) The real language, not some random shit which is supposed to sound like that and

2) Your character understands english to a certain degree. Because, as John said, the language which people speak here is english, so if you're getting initiated on, you should be able to understand it ^^ You don't have to speak fluent english but some basics, maybe with pauses to remeber words ect

But it definitly creates interesting RP. I mean i used to speak a german for a few times with my Main char but a someone who mainly speaks another language? Should be interesting, in Hostage situations as well as in friendly conversations ^^

Rampage    0

I love when people speak in a different language, especially when they have a translator. It really brings an authentic feel to the game.

Henning    77

I do something like this as well, you see my character is Chernarussian born and raised. He knows english but its not his first language, so I try to use metaphors like "The building always wins" or "the Cats got your finger".

Husky    0

I'm pretty sure I would get shot if I started talking Danish in TP, or worse.

Permed by Rolle :D

Vasily Malyy    10

I did this thread, but about German.

I made my character and went to Prud a while ago. First thing that happens to me is I get chloroformed, robbed, then asked questions I could've been asked if I still had my AK.

Lastly, I was given a tractor for compensation for the essentially horrible time I had, and I never attempted to speak another language again.

Guest whitepointer   
Guest whitepointer

In my personal opinion, I feel it would be totally fine.

Although it might be close to impossible to be understood by others, there will always be ways to work around that and make some interesting roleplay from it. I'd suggest, like stated above, you have -a few- english words in your vocabulary.

I'm saying this due to the fact that it will mostly be needed for people who are struggling big time to understand what's going on - a quick ''English me no no'' should clear some of that up for people.

Besides that, good luck. I know for me personal, I'd love to roleplay with an individual who cannot speak a word of english.

Samdo123    0

Oh, so that was you!

I loved it man, 10/10 hope to see more :D

Thanks, I plan on doing that more but adding in more and more English as I go.

Tomeran    3

I like it. it makes all sort of sense considering where you are.

As John the Bear said though, as long as you know a bit of english and are willing to roleplay that. There's no convinient way around the language-barrier in game seeing as communication is absolutly vital. And most of us dont speak russian.

I sort of wish I did, but I only know "Da!", "Njet!" and "Spatsiba!". :D

Be careful if you run into CLF though. They dont take too kindly to the ruskies. ;)