Server time: 2017-08-18, 06:49

Sign in to follow this  
McDugals

Change in the rules?

McDugals    37

So recently I've noticed people have been closing forum reports. Not discussions but reports. Now maybe I missed some changes in the rules, if that's the case then shame on me.

But i thought the reason for discussions was so the OP would get opinions from community and staff before going formal which at that point was a "Can't turn back now" type deal.

If possible I'd like it if the community could help clarify this for me.

Thanks.

edit: I ask this for future reference, not to flame but to help give a better understanding of Forum Reports.

Ancalagon    0

Nope. Discussion means that everyone can discuss about the topic. Not sure but there were times where people didn't even made discussions but went straight formal.

As you said, the whole community can give their opinion if its a discussion. Thats especially useful for people who aren't entirely sure whether something is ban-worthy or if it's even a rulebreak. We have a lot of experienced members in the community who can try to judge the actions based on the known facts. By doing this, they help the "victim" to decide what he wants to do.

Normally, thats where most of the closed reports are. Pushing a Report formal is something you shouldn't take lightly, you do it if you're sure someone broke a rule and you#re the opinion he should be punished (or if someone doesn't responds at all). Still, in formal reports, new things come to light (f.e. trough logs), these may change your view on the things or you might even realize that what they did was legit.

Or people try to talk it out with you again, maybe based on these new facts.

And sometimes, you simply decide to forgive them after a while.

So there is still the possiblity to close a formal report if you want to, it's no "Can't turn back now"-deal. Even if i believe the staff can intervene and kkep it openend?

But as i said: Don't take such things lightly and really consider every named fact before you make it formal. After all, it's about banning people. Also, false reports can be punished as well ;)

EDIT: You worked on the text again, spelling and grammar were way worse than normally :P

McDugals    37

So recently I've noticed people have been closing forum reports. Not discussions but reports. Now maybe I missed some changes in the rules, if that's the case then shame on me.

But i thought the reason for discussions was so the OP would get opinions from community and staff before going formal which at that point was a "Can't turn back now" type deal.

Thanks.

edit: I ask this for future reference, not to flame but to help give a better understanding of Forum Reports.

Nope. Discussion means that everyone can discuss about the topic. Not sure but there were times where people didn't even made discussions but went straight formal.

As you said, the whole community can give their opinion if its a discussion. Thats especially useful for people who aren't entirely sure whether something is ban-worthy or if it's even a rulebreak. We have a lot of experienced members in the community who can try to judge the actions based on the known facts. By doing this, they help the "victim" to decide what he wants to do.

Normally, thats where most of the closed reports are. Pushing a Report formal is something you shouldn't take lightly, you do it if you#re sure someone broke a rule and you#re the opinion he should be punished (or if someone doesn#t responds at all). Still, in formal reports, new things come to light (f.e. trough logs), these may change your view on the things or you might even realize that what they did was legit.

So there is still the possiblity to close a formal report if you want to, it's no "Can't turn back now"-deal

But as i said: Don't take such things likely and really consider every named fact before you make it formal. After all, it's about banning people. Also, false reports can be punished as well ;)

I'm aware of False Reports and the purpose of a discussion don't get me wrong, I originally thought that once you go formal you can't back out because staff is already putting in a lot of effort to see who is right and who is wrong. So to close it would be like a slap in the face to the hard work they put into finding the facts, looking into logs, ect. But I see where you're coming from.

Thank you for your input! :)

Ancalagon    0

Thanks.

Normally, thats where most of the closed reports are. Pushing a Report formal is something you shouldn't take lightly, you do it if you#re sure someone broke a rule and you#re the opinion he should be punished (or if someone doesn#t responds at all). Still, in formal reports, new things come to light (f.e. trough logs), these may change your view on the things or you might even realize that what they did was legit.

So there is still the possiblity to close a formal report if you want to, it's no "Can't turn back now"-deal

But as i said: Don't take such things likely and really consider every named fact before you make it formal. After all, it's about banning people. Also, false reports can be punished as well ;)

I'm aware of False Reports and the purpose of a discussion don't get me wrong, I originally thought that once you go formal you can't back out because staff is already putting in a lot of effort to see who is right and who is wrong. So to close it would be like a slap in the face to the hard work they put into finding the facts, looking into logs, ect. But I see where you're coming from.

Thank you for your input! :)

Yeah, thats the thing. And thats why formal reports are serious buisness and thats also why we have the discussion-stage. Yet, new evidence can drastically change your view upon a thing. over all a lot of things can happen, maybe you were angry but after 1 or 2 days, you calmed down and think about forgiving them.

Thats why there is the option, even if it's normally not used that often in formal reports ^^

PS.: God, one does not simply, write more or less correct. i <3 edit

EDIT: Staff, maybe move it to questions since it... well, it's a question? ^^