Server time: 2017-10-17, 11:44
Safe Zone: CLOSED

Sign in to follow this  
Henning

Random Event warning system

Would you like to see this feature like this in game?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see this feature like this in game?

• Yes
    • No

Henning    77

Hey everyone,

After the controversy in this Thread I kept trying to think of a way to make players aware that they are in the middle of a random event and being trolled, Attacked by a script kiddy or something along that line.

What I came up with was the idea of an OOC announcement to the people in the area, something along the lines of "Warning Random event spawned in your area".

So tell me what you guys think.

Oldman    22

I like this, the admins can send those red messages in the bottom left. Think this would work.

Dave    1

+1 that would clear things up for a lot of people

Henning    77

I like this, the admins can send those red messages in the bottom left. Think this would work.

Of course it isn't ideal, in a perfect world no one would care if mortars

suddenly went off in their area. But I think this gives people a little advanced warning so no one goes on the forum and gets upset.

Seiceps the Deceiver    309

No, if you warn people it's no longer random. In real life are you supposed to know a car crash is coming, do you get warned of it? No.

Mikasa    2

No, if you warn people it's no longer random

I have got to agree.

Masulii    25

No, if you warn people it's no longer random.

Yup, double-agreed

Henning    77

No, if you warn people it's no longer random

I'm not talking about a advanced warning, it shouldn't be used to give anyone time to get out of the area or to prepare IC. I think that people should be aware that it is a random event.

Maybe it can be something along the lines of "Warning Random event spawned in your area by admin [insert name of admin]".

Dora    0

No, if you warn people it's no longer random. In real life are you supposed to know a car crash is coming, do you get warned of it? No.

This guy knows what's up.

Mikachu    26

Maybe add a poll? :D

Valkerion    0

They wouldnt be "Random" if you were "warned" would they :P

Also iv only just seen that thread i like how my video was used as fore front on admin aboose.....even though it wasnt really aboose.

Id love the admins to cause random explosions and whatever else by me i could use a bit of excitement.

Guest Whazmeister   
Guest Whazmeister

Why tough? Am I the only one who thinks its awesome to see random shit blow up around you and you have no clue whats going on?

Akbar    0

Yeah, sums it all up.

Henning    77

Why tough? Am I the only one who thinks its awesome to see random shit blow up around you and you have no clue whats going on?

I don't mind it either but as I stated before some people don't see it as a random event but instead they see as admin Abuse.

Seiceps the Deceiver    309

This is why I love fighting Council, explosions and shit all around you is amazing immersion.

Sir Doctor    3

Maybe a more "roleplay" text message could be displayed?

In the case of a mortar warning a message could pop up saying "You hear the whistle of something ominous approaching..." Or something along those lines?

Mikachu    26

Maybe a more "roleplay" text message could be displayed?

In the case of a mortar warning a message could pop up saying "You hear the whistle of something ominous approaching..." Or something along those lines?

That's not a bad idea if this were to happen

Oldman    22

Just transmit an incomming radio message. The CTC is testing mortars, I a mortar hits in your area please vacate the area. And don't mention where it will hit. Then you can spice thigns up a bit for roleplay if an admin sees a large group.

Or, A CTC convoy is passing trough. blocking them off will lead to certain death. I don't know would be coul to have random events and you have some sort of heads up that it is happening somewhere on the map.

Still keep things random of course

Burgz    6

You are not the only one.

Sirens should be added into the mod which you can hear all over the map, louder at main places and they basically mean shit is about to hit the fan.

Tomeran    3

I like it and I dont like it at the same time.

There is a NEED for the staff to warn people before we do potentially dangerous events that MAY end up getting them killed. I have done so repeatadly in the Trade Post prior to attacks.

Why?

Because if there is no warning and people end up dying(which DOES on occassion happen wether we try to prevent it or not) then there is a MASSIVE load of drama on the forums of how staff are abusing and how people lost their precious gear or what not and what not. We want to avoid that.

If we warn people, then they have no excuse. They were warned, they could've left.

So in that sense, this system has some merit. But it also has a notable drawback: When these warnings go out, I have a feeling 90% of the server population are gonna be drawn to these events. Its gonna get cluttered up, noisy and laggy really fast.

Most mini-events usually involve some 10-20 players, mostly because most of them are based from (but not necessarily IN, we like to try and draw people away from the place with events) the Trade Post. If you double or even triple that number, then it'll start to become unfeasible and as laggy as the really big events.(if not more)

At the same time, I see the appeal with keeping it a surprise for people. The shock and surprise factor can provide awesome immersion, and its probably something we'd do more often if it werent for the fact that people would whine so darned much when/if they inevitably would die.

One of the ways to avoid that, that we've done now a few times, is simply put to give "missions" from the TP. People that sign up to these missions know of the risks they enlist for, and loose all whine-rights if they accidently(or intentionally ;) ) get killed.

In the end, im not sure what to vote for in this poll. Im divided.

Guest JMS   
Guest JMS

+1 if it's subtle

-1 if it's a message like the epoch days "player has combat logged" fuck dat sheeeyt

Valkerion    0

Perhaps you could sign your group up to receive these random events.

You lose all rights to whine once you tick the box.

And it keeps the random factor somewhat because even though you know it will happen eventually you still dont know when.

I personally dont even care feel free to randomly bomb the ISOA id love it...

Zhunk    2

I can't see how is your point valid? This is not 'Real Life' or any close to it, it's a game. It's a game that is limited by game mechanics, this is way the event warning system will fit. It will still be 'random' yet it will just notifiy you that there is an event going on around you.

You're going to regret that.

*Evil smile*

Valkerion    0

You're going to regret that.

*Evil smile*

I said bomb not crash bi-plane into :troll:

but honestly as long as they dont set out to kill us (i understand a few accidents will be had here and there) im perfectly fine with the admin team doing this.

Actually tbf if i get poked on TS prior by an admin i wouldn't even mind a fully fledged fight with the council where they actually shoot to kill instead of just shoot around you.