Server time: 2017-08-23, 10:04

DayZ maintenance is in progress

Sign in to follow this  
Moxy

Computer not recognizing Ethernet cord

Question

Moxy    19

More of a technical issue not related to Dayz, if this is inappropriate please disregard it. Though any and all help will be appreciated.

Question/Problem:

After a lightning storm, my router was knocked out. I reset all IP's and now the Wi-Fi, XBOX's and other LAN connections work, but my computer won't recognize any LAN line.

Is the problem on the Mod or Standalone:

More of a technical issue not related to Dayz

Does this problem occur on other public DayZ/ArmA/SA servers as well:

More of a technical issue not related to Dayz

How long have you had this problem:

1 Day

What have you done to fix this already:

Updating Drivers, Rolling back computer, new Ethernet cord, Hitting it very hard.

20 answers to this question

Mavasaur    0

As long as nothing miraculously changed since it was last working.. You could try a system restore to a previous date that you know it was working. If that doesn't fix it..

It sounds like your ethernet port has failed. You could try cleaning it out with the best of your ability (I'd use a clean coffee filter wrapped around a Q-Tip with some distilled water), but I doubt that's the case. Ethernet ports failing are pretty common.

I'd recommend buying a USB to Ethernet port adapter, as that'd be the simplest fix. Or replace your motherboard entirely if that seems like a better route to you.

I'd do those steps in that order. Hope you get it fixed.

gr1ves    3

Hey man, I did some research and this is a similar situation to what happened to you; http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ethernet-port-not-working-after-power-outage.167392/

There are a few solutions on there to try solve the problem but from what I gathered from there and other forums on the internet, your ethernet port could have experienced a power surge or something similar and ended up getting fried. I hope that's not the case though and you can get your problem fixed soon!

Let me know how you go.

Moxy    19

Mavasaur:

I tried the rollback, the computer wouldn't accept it for some reason. Had to force shut down the computer when I tried. I bought a USB to Ethernet port adapter, it will be here tomorrow

Mavasaur    0

Mavasaur:

I tried the rollback, the computer wouldn't accept it for some reason. Had to force shut down the computer when I tried. I bought a USB to Ethernet port adapter, it will be here tomorrow

Good, those things are generally plug and play, you should be good to go once you get it.

Rolle    2463
a lightning storm

There's your problem ;)

Mavasaur    0

Have you tried using another e-thernet cord?

Updating Drivers, Rolling back computer, new Ethernet cord, Hitting it very hard.

He said he did in his original post. :)

Have you tried using another e-thernet cord?

He said he did in his original post. :)

Sorry, didn't see :D

Sin    114

Ethernet ports are notoriously sensitive to current fluctuations. Since everything else in the house is working, it's almost certainly your ethernet card / port on your PC. That adapter will fix you right up.

Moxy    19

Ethernet ports are notoriously sensitive to current fluctuations. Since everything else in the house is working, it's almost certainly your ethernet card / port on your PC. That adapter will fix you right up.

Is there a difference in performance from a adapter / new port?

Sin    114

The speed of a USB 2.0 port is 480 Mb/s, whereas ethernet is only 100 Mb/s. You should have plenty of headroom, unless you've daisy chained a ton of USB devices to a single USB port, and who does that anymore :)

Rolle    2463

ethernet is only 100 Mb/s.

Fact of the day: Sin is still living in 1998. :D

Sin    114

Maybe Swedes have gigabit Internet connections, but I'm lucky to pull 6 Mb/s here in the backwaters of the US.

gr1ves    3

Maybe Swedes have gigabit Internet connections, but I'm lucky to pull 6 Mb/s here in the backwaters of the US.

Us Australians know them feels.

Mush    2

Does this problem still persist, Moxy?