Server time: 2017-08-19, 18:50

Sign in to follow this  
Jared

A post-apocalyptic city... bear with the thought

Jared    9

I think we can all agree that the Golden Age of DayzRP has passed and the addition of the new TP has ushered in a new age of settlement development. With the established lore laid down by Sir Tomeran we know for a fact that it has been two years since the start of the end. Now according to this timeline one of two things usually happen based on other post apocalyptic scenarios: Everything is in ashes and people are scavenging and living in hovels on the wayside, becoming recluses and eventually dying to disease and whatnot, or civilization begins to rebuild itself with most of the common knowledge of the old world.

Now with the later part of the previous statement in mind, we can already acknowledge we are on this stated path. The inclusion of settlements and established trade proves that humanity is on a rebound and eventually may be able to achieve its former glory. The cure or a cause of the infection may not be widely known, but we do know how to prevent and deal with those who become infected and have the tools and firepower to repel those who have already turned. Humans are banding together in groups and are surviving, the next thing that would happen in a real world scenario would be the settling of people in a common zone in an attempt to emulate the past.

Small settlements that could allow a few people to live and thrive have popped up around the Chernarus map but after two years, why wouldn't cities start being cleared, walled and settled again? A large common area, where people who aren't self-dependant can come and cohabitate with his or her fellow man. Why not have one of the pre-existing areas that we all know and love be transformed like many other areas of the map? Once people would start to feel comfortable with the new way of life, wouldn't they start to fall back into the old ways?

Not everyone is a soldier, and those people had jobs that could support and new civilization. New roleplay opportunities can be opened to people that previously have been unable to do. If a small town started up and proved successful, jobs could open up that would give things for people to do. Hunters and gatherers up to doctors car mechanics could all have established roles with the ingame ability to preform their set task.

I know that it would be difficult make changes to cities like Cherno or Electro, but I have seen it done. A new city, made for players, larger than all other settlements COULD be implemented and tested for this purpose. Dodge was a blueprint of how this could be done, but on a larger scale with enough buildings that could realistically give everyone a residence or place of employment.

On to the topic that is probably brewing in everyones head, bandits. Almost every wild west town would have bandits roll through, rob people or even murder a few. People found a way around that then, and it could be done in game too. A policing force or militia could be formed to protect those inside the wall from those unwanted on the outside. Rules could be established just as they have been on settlements before them, but I believe it would be much harder for bandit groups to take and hold a large town as they have with the few buildings of settlements past.

This being said it could show potential for bandit raids to actually become raids and not sieges. For example, if S.D.S. is low on grape soda, or in the need of parts for their fleet of fishing boats, they could blow into town, hold up the food market and mechanic, get what they need and roll back out, maybe robbing the occasional passer-by.

This is just a concept that I have been thinking about, and I have nothing in the works, but I would like to throw it out there and see what other people think and possibly see where it goes.

Voodoo    357

If a settlement is built too large the servers have problems look at S2 compared to S1 now. You can notice the desync issues between the two.

I would love to see a new city or even just a town with no zombies and walled off for people to go to but I doubt it will happen

gr1ves    3

If a settlement is built too large the servers have problems look at S2 compared to S1 now. You can notice the desync issues between the two.

I would love to see a new city or even just a town with no zombies and walled off for people to go to but I doubt it will happen

We could wall off one of the cities or towns we have now and stop the zombie spawns inside of them?

EDIT: Didn't read your last sentence properly :P

Guest johnygt7   
Guest johnygt7

Maybe a village ?:D that would be great.

Roofcake    1

Not unless it's on S3. S2 has the TP and S1 will have settlements/PCB's (I think).

Guest Shadow   
Guest Shadow

You mean a walled off city that doesn't spawn zeds. Like the TP? :troll:

In all seriousness though I think its incredibly unrealistic that cities would be cleared of zombies so quickly. We must take into account the fact that Chernarus was home to thousands of people. Hence there must be thousands if not millions of infected in Chernarus alone. The CTC is nowhere near capable of slaughtering them all and/or clearing out cities. Not to mention the fact that to wall off an entire city would require an absurd amount of resources and manpower which again no power house faction has right now.

Props to you for a nice idea but I think realistically the survivors of Chernarus would be lucky to even get something remotely close to the TP in terms of size and safety.

You mean a walled off city that doesn't spawn zeds. Like the TP? :troll:

In all seriousness though I think its incredibly unrealistic that cities would be cleared of zombies so quickly. We must take into account the fact that Chernarus was home to thousands of people. Hence there must be thousands if not millions of infected in Chernarus alone. The CTC is nowhere near capable of slaughtering them all and/or clearing out cities. Not to mention the fact that to wall off an entire city would require an absurd amount of resources and manpower which again no power house faction has right now.

Props to you for a nice idea but I think realistically the survivors of Chernarus would be lucky to even get something remotely close to the TP in terms of size and safety.

Actually in terms of population i believe south Zagoria's total population is lower than 500,000 people before the infection (cant remember where i saw this i believe it was Tomeran) so it wouldn't be that difficult to clean out a small town with a few hundred population.

However keeping the walls maintained from the huge amount of roaming infected from other towns and countries would be extremely difficult.

Guest Zach hunter   
Guest Zach hunter

I honestly think it would be a good idea, considering it has been two years and threw are plenty of large groups that could be capable of it. And considering what valkerion just stated most small towns wouldn't have much more than a couple hundred zombies. Also since if I remember the lore correctly the infection is a desiese, do the infected arnt technically dead, which in a a sence means they could have started starving, considering the groups are getting more organized .